DIY auto to manny boot conversion - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 11th, 2005, 06:20 PM   #1
4 bangin'

DIY auto to manny boot conversion

well, i finally got my OEM shift boot from the honda dealer. it was fairly easy to install, it took about prolly less then 20 minutes. but i would like for you guys to give me some suggestions on how to make it look better, cuz to me, it doesnt look like the greatest right now. ill include a pic of with the shifter looks like so someone could maybe help me out with an idea or two.

heres what the knob looks like. it screws together and the top part that says Razo on it, is the male, and the bottom is the female.

hope you guys like it, it was really easy and i would suggest it to anyone, it was probably the simplest thing ive done to my car so far.

EDIT: just got an idea, i think ill go try it out. still let me know what any of you can come up with tho.

EDIT 2: i think i figured it out. it looks good now. ill post up some pics tomorrow. what i did was put some tape on the bottom piece, then zip tied around the tape, then taped over the zip tie, then turned the boot inside out, zip tied over the zip tie on the bottom piece, then put the boot right side out, and screwed on the top, its looks like it was meant to be, haha, ill show ya tomorrow. if anyone wants me to do a DIY i can, i have a digital camera now, and this wouldnt take me long to get done, so lemme know.

Last edited by Sketch o5; July 11th, 2005 at 06:45 PM..
Sketch o5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 11th, 2005, 06:59 PM   #2
DV8
Hella Functional

Send a message via ICQ to DV8 Send a message via AIM to DV8 Send a message via MSN to DV8
mmmm try shortening the boot a bit, tuck more of it under the shifter, that way it'll look tighter,
DV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 11th, 2005, 08:38 PM   #3
THLA 2009 Bombsquad

Send a message via AIM to Dtownz Thrillah
looks nice .. a diy would be nice .. the old one is all messed up
Dtownz Thrillah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old July 11th, 2005, 11:10 PM   #4
4 bangin'

ok, i will tomorrow while i wait for the UPS guy, cuz ill be waiting allllllll dayyyyy, so ill do it.
Old July 11th, 2005, 11:59 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Cov6Rider
i dont see the pics.
Cov6Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 12th, 2005, 12:06 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to CRV_33
i like red x's
CRV_33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 12th, 2005, 12:07 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to XenonKiller99
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV_33
i like red x's
HAHAHA!!
XenonKiller99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 12th, 2005, 12:53 AM   #8
Retired the Accord

yea post those pics, my booty should be here thursday. I actually had aquired a 7th gen shift boot and put it in my ride (6th gen) It turned out ok, but i ordered the 6th gen oem in hopes that it would tuck INSIDE the outter bezel. If it doesn't i'm going to be disappointed, i want to see the bezel, looks cleaner imo. Anywho, post those pics, I wanna see how ya doin it. I need to pick up a new knob as well... still got the stock one and that doesn't help the look any.

Dave
justkillin_time is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 12th, 2005, 02:04 AM   #9
4 bangin'

i just looked to see the replys.....and the pics work for me? idk, theyre on photobucket. but dont worry, im gonna post more pics tomorrow, cuz imo, it looks really bad the way it is in those top pics, and i changed it already, haha. so ill have better pics tomorrow. also hopefully a DIY.......btw where should i post the DIY?
Old July 12th, 2005, 02:17 AM   #10
Destroyer of Tires

Looks pretty good looks pretty good. The boot itself is a bit long but you can always fix that.

What tools did you use to do it and stuff? How'd you do it is a better question.

Doctor_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 12th, 2005, 02:31 AM   #11
4 bangin'

i used a razor blade, zip ties, and a phillips head screw driver (i think thats th one like this: +?) haha, i never had those down. but yea, i basically just took the console out, took off my shifter, took off the gear cover next to the shifter(with p,r,n,d4,d3,2,1)(dont forget to unplug the light too), then i just used small wood screws i got from wal*mart for 83 cents to attach the boot to the bottom of the console piece and put it on. i said before how i put the bottom of the shift knob on, i basically zip tied it to the boot and screwed it together......i did that after i posted this (edits) and i will have pics of it tomorrow, cuz it was too dark out when i changed it to this better looking way. but yea, ill have more details tomorrow with pictures.
Old July 12th, 2005, 02:36 AM   #12
Destroyer of Tires

I'm pretty interested in this mod, it looks quite nice. Be sure to post a small guide like what to unplug or unscrew with plenty of pictures. I'm actually starting to look at simple DIY's right now to make my car unique. Impressive look.

Old July 12th, 2005, 01:11 PM   #13
4 bangin'

well, since my digi cam's battery life sucks ass, i cant do the DIY right now, i went down to do it, got these next 3 pics, and it died.....pos. so ill do it at a later time. but this is how it looks now, and i think its staying this way for a while now.

theres nothing to unscrew to take out the center console in the 6th gens.....it all just pops out. the only thing i had to unplug/unscrew was the light that lights up the auto shifter bezel with the letters on it (p,r,n,d4,d3,2,1) and i just tucked that away to infront of the shifter assembly under the console, cuz it still lights up, and i had light shining out from my ebrake, haha. you just have to add 4 screws to screw it in, cuz i just went to the dealer and ordered the boot (~$35) and it doesnt come with hardware or anything. when i get some good batteries ill post up the diy.

Last edited by Sketch o5; July 12th, 2005 at 01:18 PM..
Old July 12th, 2005, 01:14 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to CRV_33
looks good but you need to shorten the length
CRV_33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 12th, 2005, 01:15 PM   #15
Retired the Accord

so the boot doesn't fit inside the plastic bezel?

dave
justkillin_time is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 12th, 2005, 01:30 PM   #16
4 bangin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkillin_time
so the boot doesn't fit inside the plastic bezel?

dave
well, it fits in, but if youre thinking of a more resessed(sp?) look to it, it deff. doesnt get that. if you wanted to, you could probably fab up some spacers to put between the console piece and the shift boot holes, but then i think you would have gaps and it would look bad. imo, it looks fine, and to me, when im driving it, i cant notice how it sticks up a little bit at all. do you have any pics of yours? with the 7th gen boot on? when i picked it up from honda yesterday, they said things about adapter plates and such, cuz i asked about hardware and how it didnt come with any. idk what theyre talking about with the adapter plate, mine just lined up with the holes under the console piece, so i just screwed it in. so maybe this adapter plate, if there is one, makes it a little lower....but i dont htink there is, but idk, cuz im not really manual, haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV_33
looks good but you need to shorten the length
i was thinking about it, but i actually like it how it is. plus every now and then i shift thru the gears form 1 to d4, and i think that if i actually did shorten it, it would be a lil harder to do that, like with the angles and stuff. it would b like id have to pull it foward, insted of push it like now. i rest my hand on it when i drive, i always have, so its the perfect height for me.
Old July 12th, 2005, 02:34 PM   #17
Destroyer of Tires

Damn that looks pretty good. I might have to do this too

Old July 12th, 2005, 07:16 PM   #18
bryan <3's bomex

looks nice
mastadulog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 12th, 2005, 11:29 PM   #19
Drop Dead Gorgeous

Send a message via AIM to Aztro
I did the custom boot and I didn't even take off the console thing I just got it in there and then bought a chrome bezel from illegalakkord and called it a day. Now if I'm not that lazy I'll go to Staples and buy some double side tape or whatever those things are called :P.
Aztro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 13th, 2005, 12:12 AM   #20
4 bangin'

i would say OEM is the way to go, cuz it just screws right on. like, yea you need to buy the screws, but the center console is the same in every car, weather it be wood or w/e......idk if they even make that whole piece in wood, or if they have a piece with the look a like wood, haha, but its all the same in every accord 98-00 at least.....not sure bout the 01-02's, but it prolly is, cuz i doubt they changed the holes for a shift boot, haha. it was seriously the quickest mod ive ever done, i had it on and **** in like 20 minutes....maybe? i was like, wellll, is that it? haha, i like looked aropund to see if i missed anything when i knew i didnt, i just wasnt sure it would be as easy as it was, haha. do you have any pics of yours Aztro.....i just want to see how others' have come out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in