Problems painting interior... please help - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 9th, 2005, 10:55 PM   #1

Exclamation Problems painting interior... please help

Alright, so I decided to paint my wood grain trim black today. First piece i started off with is the driver side panel where the window controls are. I got everything out no problem. Here is where I am running into problems:

I wet-sanded down the clear coat a little bit with 1000 grit sand paper (i had paint stripper, but when i read the instructions, it said don't use on rigid plastic, so i decided against it). I then applied black Sandable Dupli-Color primer. After a few coats, and wet-sanding in between each coat, I started painting on black Dupli-Color Auto Spray.

I wasn't sure if I should wet-sand it or not, but I didn't like how it didn't have a smooth texture, so I tried wet-sanding it. The paint seemed to be coming off, so I put on a coat or two more and didn't sand it, hoping the clear coat would smooth out the look.

After all that, I put on the clear-coat and let it dry. Still not the smooth/glossy look I'm looking for. So I tried wet-sanding that too. It seems to me that it took off most of the clear-coat and even some of the paint underneath. This was 5 or so minutes ago, and I just put on another coat of black paint since it looked like the primer was showing through a bit because of the sanding.

In conclusion, what am I supposed to be doing to get a smooth glossy black look? And am I wet-sanding wrong (basically, I'm dipping the sand paper in water and then sanding like normal)? I can't quite figure out what to do so that the paint doesn't come off.

Thanks in advance for all the help
trickster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 9th, 2005, 11:27 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to CRV_33
if you want that black glossy look alot of it has to do with the paint itself. Also what color primer are you using? If you using black primer, I don't think its going to turn out well.

Heck i just painted some black outlet cover for my brother since apparently Lowes, Home Depot, and Menards don't carry it in black but they do brown??

Well here is how it turned out:

In this case I just used white primer (whitish gray in color). Then I just sprayed on some Black Kyrylon paint. In the picutre it looks really glossy, so you can imagine how glossy it will be when I apply the clearcoat later.
CRV_33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 9th, 2005, 11:31 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to CRV_33
In your case i would just take some dish soap and apply it to your pieces that you already painted to not only clean the surface, but dish soap strips the clearcoats too Then just take some sand paper and sand it down til the surface is smooth (probably be a good idea to clean the surface again to get rid of dirt and dust from the sanding). . Next spray like 2-3 coats of light primer (white or gray primer works). After the primer has set I would spray 3-4 coats of black (make sure its not flat black) and then just let it air dry. And then I would coat on some 4-5 layers clearcoats after the paint has dried thoroughly.

Hope the directions are clear and GOODLUCK!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CRV_33; October 9th, 2005 at 11:36 PM..
CRV_33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old October 9th, 2005, 11:33 PM   #4
THLA 2009 Bombsquad

Send a message via AIM to Dtownz Thrillah
well there is gloss black paint too ..
Dtownz Thrillah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 9th, 2005, 11:37 PM   #5

Thanks for the help and quick replies

I'm confused as to why white primer would work better than black primer for black paint. In addition, I'm guessing I shouldn't be wet sanding?
Old October 9th, 2005, 11:42 PM   #6

Oh, and I'm thinking maybe I should have tried the Brilliant Black instead of the plain old Black. Any opinions on that?
Old October 9th, 2005, 11:46 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to robbyx_209[9]
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickster
Thanks for the help and quick replies

I'm confused as to why white primer would work better than black primer for black paint. In addition, I'm guessing I shouldn't be wet sanding?
it helps the black color come out...

for example... to dye black hair red, you have to bleach it first to help the red stand out.. same token

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by robbyx_209[9]; October 9th, 2005 at 11:49 PM..
robbyx_209[9] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in