Aftermarket Automatic Shift Knob??? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 8th, 2006, 01:52 AM   #1

Aftermarket Automatic Shift Knob???

Does anyone have an aftermarket shift knob for their accord? I just hate not being able to grab the handbrake for fun in the snow or in the mud. Its just obnoxious to have the shifter practically on top of the handbrake...
portland98v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 8th, 2006, 03:13 AM   #2

???
kleptodathief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 8th, 2006, 09:11 AM   #3
JB4 e92

I had an "eBay shift lever" that I put on my old 01 Accord sedan. It was horrible, often times the "shift button" wouldn't work. If it's pushed all the way down, the keys couldn't come out of the ignition so I would have to rip the thing off to turn off the car. My recommendation would be to stick with the OEM shifter, or upgrade to something else OEM (more stylish).

You can't reach the e-brake? It's in the most convienent location, right next to the shifter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
clean2draccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old January 8th, 2006, 10:34 AM   #4
4.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean2draccord
My recommendation would be to stick with the OEM shifter, or upgrade to something else OEM (more stylish).

I had the same problems with the aftermarket shift knob that I had...but I finally got it to work perfectly to where it would shift through all the gears and everything. Then the only problem was that having the button on top, and flush with the top of the knob made it hard to press down. Now this is what I have...and in the end it cost about as much as my shift knob did (minus the shift boot).

there's a small gap at the base of the shifter, but all I need to do is cut down a few tabs on the shifter assembly to make it fit perfectly =]. The next time I take my car into Honda...or anywhere for that matter...they're gonna be like "uhhh...what do I do with it?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

VietNinjaJ30A1
2000 Honda Accord V6 Supercharged
Official Slammed Club Member #36 (Stage 1)
VietNinjaJ30A1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 8th, 2006, 11:09 AM   #5
Registered V-tec Monster

Send a message via AIM to akordman
how much????
akordman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 8th, 2006, 12:45 PM   #6
4.0L

$40 shifter on ebay =]. labor was free. djpm05 gave me a hand and provided some experienced advice! (shift boot was $21)

VietNinjaJ30A1
Old January 8th, 2006, 04:43 PM   #7
4 bangin'

mines a little tall, but it doesnt bother me. that was after i did the shift boot conversion on my auto i4 :\. its the razo knob. i would suggest something with a cloth type material on it tho, cuz that aluminum kills my hand in the summer, ive actually gotten blisters from shifting it into drive, hahaha.
Sketch o5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 8th, 2006, 05:26 PM   #8
keepin' it OG

Send a message via AIM to Kiet
same with vietninja.. i have the prelude shift assembly (same thing as cl and tl).. heres a pic.

if your interested, the peeps that helped me install it have an extra one like mine, except, it doesnt have the red stitched knob but just a regular knob, but you can always upgrade..

they are asking 50+shipping.

KIET

Kiet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 8th, 2006, 07:18 PM   #9

How easily does that fit up with our cars? I mean I guess I should should make myself more clear. I like to go play in mud puddles with the car and can't slide the back end of the car around when the shift knob/button when in drive is right over the top of the E-brake handle. It doesn't help that I have fat hands either...I do like the CL / TL setup and still wondering if it makes it easier to get to the handbrake....
Old January 8th, 2006, 07:23 PM   #10
New Orleans 6th Gen

hey vietninja yours is the cl-s shifter with the boot right? how did you put the boot on?
NawlinsV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 8th, 2006, 09:38 PM   #11

I am looking for something newer also. Are there any OEM options that look good? I still want the traditional button-pressing shift knob. I don't want to replace the whole unit with a Prelude unit or anything. Just the knob.
jamezzz122 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 8th, 2006, 10:28 PM   #12
keepin' it OG

there isnt really anything oem options that look good besides the tiptronic shift assembly, well to me anyways. get the spoon one.. with a shift boot.. the spoon looks like knob that doesnt need pushing, but you actually push in the middle. fyi. someone was selling one here for a low price.. or go you can go be baller status and get the momo shift knob.. but they are like 90 bucks just for the knob..

these were what i wanted to do before i got my shift assembly, but i skipped getting the spoon/momo shift knob and got the shift assembly instead...

KIET

Old January 9th, 2006, 08:41 AM   #13
4.0L

^^ agreed. i like the shift knob on the TL/CL shifter because it's small like ones you find in manuals. i didn't want anything aluminum or whatnot because i have wood grain and it really breaks up the look of the car to have this semi-blingbling shift knob. even the type-s logo on the knob erks me sometimes. also...the TL/CL shifter shaft is already really short...so there's no modification needed there.

VietNinjaJ30A1
Old January 11th, 2006, 12:07 AM   #14

does the tiptronic work on that shifter frmo the prelude? sorry dumb ?...
Ayankees27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 11th, 2006, 12:50 AM   #15
keepin' it OG

no it doesnt. you can wire it from something else... OR if you really want it to work, you can get the tl/cl shifter, ecu from tl/cl and i think the cluster, and have a auto mechanic do it for you.. obviously, it's harder than it sounds becuase there are more and detailed steps that goes between it.. not something of a diy if you really want it to work, need a good mechanic to make this happen.

KIET

Old January 11th, 2006, 09:23 PM   #16
4.0L

kiet....are you gonna wire your tip to do something? i think i'm still going with the window up/window down thing.

VietNinjaJ30A1
Old January 12th, 2006, 12:24 AM   #17
The name is Scott. D:

Send a message via AIM to Whumbachumba Send a message via MSN to Whumbachumba Send a message via Yahoo to Whumbachumba
Windows would be nice for it, but only if you could get it to do it automatically. I was thinking volume control.

From the ones I've seen on V6P, I like the Prelude system the best. Just looks right with the car.
Whumbachumba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 12th, 2006, 12:31 AM   #18
keepin' it OG

Quote:
Originally Posted by VietNinjaJ30A1
kiet....are you gonna wire your tip to do something? i think i'm still going with the window up/window down thing.
its not wired to anything right now, and not sure if i am going to.. i might, but i dunno.. i'm just gonna leave it as is right now until i feel i really really need to do it, but if i do, probably be the radio, but for now, just gonna leave it as is..

KIET

Old January 12th, 2006, 12:36 AM   #19
LaLaLaLa

Send a message via AIM to stupidaznmunkey
you shud make it into a NOS button - PUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA oh wait, that would only be one way...the other one could be like iono nevermind

everyone has such nice shifter thingies...im still oem
stupidaznmunkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 12th, 2006, 08:54 AM   #20

What is all this talk about the tiptronic on the shifter and what does it do? I was looking at the shifter and not sure where you could wire something up...yeah im confused as usual...
Old January 13th, 2006, 11:33 PM   #21
4.0L

well...the tiptronic is all electrical. you're "shifting" up and down on the shifter...but really it's just pushing a button when you push it up and a different button when you pull it down. then of course...wiring anything to the tiptronic is just like wiring something to a push button switch (one for the + and one for the - ). when the shifter is in the car it was meant to be in...the + button tells the car "shift up, stupid" and the - tells it "down shift".

if i wanted to make the windows automatic (to where i didn't have to hold the shifter in the + or - position) then i'd have to get the automatic switch and rig it for up and down on both windows. i'm fine just holding the shifter for the 5 seconds it takes the window to go up or down to tell you the truth.

VietNinjaJ30A1
Old January 16th, 2006, 11:28 PM   #22

Send a message via AIM to CRV_33
Quote:

hey what kind of shift boot is that and where did you get it?

CRV_33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 16th, 2006, 11:34 PM   #23
keepin' it OG

i think he said it was 7gen 6speed shift boot.

KIET

Old January 17th, 2006, 06:57 PM   #24
4.0L

^^ werd. $22 shipped from hardtopguy...i think it was $22

VietNinjaJ30A1
Old January 24th, 2006, 09:17 PM   #25

i really want to start a project like this, but im not sure what else i would need besides the shift boot and shift knob, you guys changed the whole lever assembly?
advan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 24th, 2006, 09:22 PM   #26
keepin' it OG

changed the whole shifter assembly.

besides what you listed above, you also need tools, dremel (to cut stuff out), and some motivation.

KIET

Old January 24th, 2006, 09:34 PM   #27

Quote:
^^ werd. $22 shipped from hardtopguy...i think it was $22
does hardtop still sell on v6p? Also do you think the 7th gen boot will fit in a 6th gen av6?

Old January 25th, 2006, 08:35 AM   #28
THLA 2009 Bombsquad

Send a message via AIM to Dtownz Thrillah
^ fits good Mike ..

I think a bunch of people on here have done the 7th gen boot

so hrmmmm ..did you get that Spoon knob? : ]
Dtownz Thrillah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 25th, 2006, 09:13 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownz Thrillahz
so hrmmmm ..did you get that Spoon knob? : ]
Why Tony thanks for asking.

Yeah i got the spoon knob and i am looking for a boot to get on there. I went to a local honda dealership and almost choked when the parts guy quoted me at $40+ for a 6th gen shift boot. At that price i might as well get a momo boot that robby's been pushing me to get

Old January 25th, 2006, 09:15 AM   #30
THLA 2009 Bombsquad

Send a message via AIM to Dtownz Thrillah
good stuff I wanna see : ]

I still have to cut my shifter .. grrr haha : P
Dtownz Thrillah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in