All Those with Eyelids... - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 29th, 2006, 10:28 PM   #1

All Those with Eyelids...

I have a question. What did you use to adhere them to your headlights? I did search and found that most of the posts said 3m double sided tape. The thing is, 3m makes like a bazillion kinds of double sided tape. Is this the double sided tape everyone uses?

If not, then which? Or, are there other alternatives? Thanks for the help.
~~m(o.o)m~~ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 30th, 2006, 01:17 AM   #2
LaLaLaLa

Send a message via AIM to stupidaznmunkey
industrial strength...use industrial strength...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

stupidaznmunkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 30th, 2006, 08:06 AM   #3

Yes, dont use that scotchmount stuff, thats for like indoors household stuff. You want industrial since its gonna be exposed to a bunch of crap, heat/cold/water/etc. For best eyelid, get the bolt-ons. That way you dont have to worry about sticky stuff, and trying to remove the leftovers
maying856 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old March 30th, 2006, 08:08 AM   #4

where do i get "industrial strength" 3m tapes??? home depot??? any actual pics wud really help out
kleptodathief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 30th, 2006, 08:18 AM   #5
keepin' it OG

Send a message via AIM to Kiet
home depot, office depot etc.
Kiet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 30th, 2006, 08:57 AM   #6
♠ 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT ♠

Send a message via AIM to lowincash Send a message via MSN to lowincash
i used the 3M double side tape with the red sticker on it...those seem to not leave any marks when you take them out.
lowincash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 30th, 2006, 10:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by maying856
Yes, dont use that scotchmount stuff, thats for like indoors household stuff. You want industrial since its gonna be exposed to a bunch of crap, heat/cold/water/etc. For best eyelid, get the bolt-ons. That way you dont have to worry about sticky stuff, and trying to remove the leftovers
I would get the bolt ons, but how could I pass up painted eyelids for $20? Also, where do they sell bolt ons? I have only seen bolt on CF lids, which I'm not interested in, and wouldn't be willing to paint. So for now, tape it is!

And yes, I agree about the industrial strength cause of all the crap I'm subject to here in NY. Extreme heat and cold, plenty of water, pot holes (vibration), etc etc. I will head to some office/hardware supply stores later tonight. Thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming! I will let you all know what I end up buying, and how it works.
Old March 30th, 2006, 03:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~m(o.o)m~~
I would get the bolt ons, but how could I pass up painted eyelids for $20? Also, where do they sell bolt ons? I have only seen bolt on CF lids, which I'm not interested in, and wouldn't be willing to paint. So for now, tape it is!

And yes, I agree about the industrial strength cause of all the crap I'm subject to here in NY. Extreme heat and cold, plenty of water, pot holes (vibration), etc etc. I will head to some office/hardware supply stores later tonight. Thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming! I will let you all know what I end up buying, and how it works.

Cool! Keep us updated. ANd I thought u were talking about CF Eyelids, lol. I dont think they make bolt ons for the painted ones
Old March 30th, 2006, 04:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Cool! Keep us updated. ANd I thought u were talking about CF Eyelids, lol. I dont think they make bolt ons for the painted ones
I didn't think so either...

Anyways, so I went to Lowes Hardware a while ago and I picked up some Scotch Indoor/Outdoor Mounting Tape - Super Heavy Duty. This is the actual product:

It works great, so far. It's only been on for 30 minutes, so who knows how it will hold up in rain, or cold weather. The box says it is weather resistant so we will see what happens.

What I did is... I laid a strip of the tape down on the top portion of the headlight, the portion that the hood covers. Then, I laid a strip on the most outward part of the eyelid itself (from where the hood meets the 1/4 panel back). Then I used a razor blade to shave off any excess (to help guide me when applying the eyelid to the tape). I removed the plastic from the tape on the headlight, and using the end of the eyelid, lined it up and laid it down. Then I removed the plastic from the tape on the eyelid and laid that down. Once that was done I shaved off any other excess tape which appeared. The end result is awesome.

I know most of you don't need this long explanation, but it helps noobs like myself. Hope I was helpful. I'll get some pics up tomorrow.
Old March 30th, 2006, 07:31 PM   #10

^^Awesome! Thats what I used!
Old March 30th, 2006, 07:43 PM   #11

quick question
anywhere that I can find the bolt on eye lids?
1lif2liv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 30th, 2006, 08:36 PM   #12

^^Look online, best bet is ebay.
Old March 31st, 2006, 02:17 AM   #13
Hatin' on me hatin' on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidaznmunkey
industrial strength...use industrial strength...
HAHAHaha learning from me eh daniel? Yeah, You saw how tough that stuff was when some punk-ass tried to jack my lip wing. hahahaha!
inspired1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 31st, 2006, 10:39 AM   #14

Pics:

Sorry for the quality, they were taken with my phone. Also, don't make fun of my 4x4 height right now, I plan on dropping later on this spring/summer. H&R springs and KYB GR2s...
Old March 31st, 2006, 10:41 AM   #15

^^Looks good man, you have a unique color Now you just need a drop, and get rid of that front plate, and youll be smooth sailing.
Old March 31st, 2006, 10:44 AM   #16

Quote:
^^Looks good man, you have a unique color Now you just need a drop, and get rid of that front plate, and youll be smooth sailing.
NY state law doesn't allow me to rid my car of the front plate. I have even been given trouble for having it relocated to a "less visible area". But trust me, if I could get rid of it, I would.
Old March 31st, 2006, 10:49 AM   #17

Quote:
NY state law doesn't allow me to rid my car of the front plate. I have even been given trouble for having it relocated to a "less visible area". But trust me, if I could get rid of it, I would.
Blah.....laws, psh. Who follows them We have those laws here in SoCal also.........
Old April 15th, 2006, 11:58 PM   #18

I had someone PM me, asking how the mounting tape was holding up, and if it was holding up well, how I applied it. Well, the tape is holding just fine. Actually, it is much stronger than I thought it would be. The eyelids have survived 2 weeks, 3 days of heavy rain, 2 car washes and several trips to the airport (at high speeds).

Now, as to how I applied them. My first bit of advice is, don't be cheap! I used a ton of the tape, nearly the entire roll. First, I covered the entire top part of the headlight with tape, leaving the red plastic on. After I had it covered, I positioned the eyelid how I liked it, and then with a razor blade, I cut off all the excess (this helped a lot when actually applying the eyelid to the tape). With this was done, the 1/2 of the eyelid that gets applied to the top of the headlight (under the hood) was covered with tape.

Secondly, I covered the backside of the rest of the eyelid (the part which covers the signal portion of the headlight) with the mounting tape, keeping the red plastic on. There was tape hanging off the edges, but I used a razor blade to clean it up before i applied the eyelid to the car. Now, the entire backside of the eyelid will be stuck to the car with tape. No "weak" spots, per se.

With all of my tape applied to the car and eyelid, I peeled back the tape on the headlight first. I lined up the eyelid, using the tape as my guide, and stuck it down and applied pressure for a minute or 2. Then, I used my razor to start peeling back the red plastic from the eyelid, itself. Once I had all the backing off, I lined it up and stuck it. Pressure for 2 minutes or so, and I was done.

One thing worth mentioning is that I think the tape adheres much better in the sun, on a hot day. It seems "mushier", which seems to have given me a nice tight seal. Hope this helps anyone who had questions, feel free to PM me for more info. Also, I will try to get some decent pics up tomorrow.
Old April 16th, 2006, 01:25 AM   #19
Destroyer of Tires

Your Accord looks... ... oh sorry, tired. Hehe

Nice, I think your tape should hold up fine.

What is

Doctor_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 16th, 2006, 07:02 PM   #20

the part where the arrow is on my eyelids is not taped good to the headlites...theres a gap and its not sticky flushed to the headlites.....is urs flushed all around???

will this give me trouble later on???

mine i can't do simple installs LOL
kleptodathief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 16th, 2006, 07:16 PM   #21
bryan <3's bomex

looks good, come to the may 6th meet
photos:

myspace:

hincity:
mastadulog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 16th, 2006, 11:59 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleptodathief
is urs flushed all around???

will this give me trouble later on???
Yeah, mine is flush all the way around. I covered the entire eyelid in tape. Thus, no weak spots.

To answer your other question, I think it depends on how well the rest of your eyelid is attached. I know the hood/weatherstripping holds down the interior part of the eyelid pretty well... But you may find that the outside portion (from the arrow in the pic and outwards) starts flopping around. If it does, just reinstall it, making sure to use some tape on the bend.

Last edited by ~~m(o.o)m~~; April 17th, 2006 at 01:25 PM..
Old April 17th, 2006, 01:23 PM   #23

Yes it is flush:
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Here's where I put the tape:
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Last edited by ~~m(o.o)m~~; April 17th, 2006 at 01:43 PM..
Old April 17th, 2006, 02:40 PM   #24
4 bangin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastadulog
looks good, come to the may 6th meet
what he said.

Sketch o5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 17th, 2006, 02:58 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketch o5
what he said.
I have seen the thread for the meet, and if you read very closely, you'll see that I asked to push it back so I could make it. I will be at school till May 21st, so I can't make it on May 6th. And gas is WAY too expensive to make a 500 mile trip for a meet. Let's have another meet over the summer
Old April 17th, 2006, 04:44 PM   #26
4 bangin'

Quote:
I have seen the thread for the meet, and if you read very closely, you'll see that I asked to push it back so I could make it. I will be at school till May 21st, so I can't make it on May 6th. And gas is WAY too expensive to make a 500 mile trip for a meet. Let's have another meet over the summer
ahh, gotcha, i thin ki do remember reading that now, haha.but yea, there will deff be at least a couple over the summer im sure. i wanna get another one over at johnson park, that one had a good turnout.

Sketch o5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 17th, 2006, 05:16 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketch o5
ahh, gotcha, i thin ki do remember reading that now, haha.but yea, there will deff be at least a couple over the summer im sure. i wanna get another one over at johnson park, that one had a good turnout.
Keep me posted, I'd love to meet up with some local guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in