What do i Need for good bass? (minimally) - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 17th, 2003, 12:40 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to SwTbeB4Lyfe43
What do i Need for good bass? (minimally)

hey yallz.. i REALLY REALLY want some decent bass but i dont wanna spend all the big bucks or trouble on subs. i just got a kenwood kdc-222 deck today but it didnt make my bass much better cuz its pretty cheap. im stickin w/ it bc i dont wanna go thru the trouble of gettin a new deck

my question is: will getting new bassy 6x9's in the back make the bass boom noticeably louder with the same HU?

& i dont mean down-the-block boom, just a good loud thump.

c'mon yallz, help a chick out

mods:
OEM spoiler

audio:
it sucks!

--the low-end version of mods
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SwTbeB4Lyfe43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 17th, 2003, 01:59 AM   #2
4CPowered

As Im sure others wouldve asked you, how much are you looking to spend?
A.)Buy 6x9's bass with increase a lil bit.
B.)Buy 6x9's and a amp to power them. Bass will increase.
roadrash187 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 17th, 2003, 02:12 AM   #3

i was trying to avoid the subs bc of the $ they would eat up cuz then i gotta get an amp.
i would spend $100 on ebay for some 6x9 speakers if it would make a nice difference

Old July 17th, 2003, 05:03 AM   #4
___

I'm looking for some bass too at a minimal price, but I don't think you will get good bass from 6x9's unless you're running an amp to them.

I'm thinking about getting 1 12" and an amp or 2 6x9"s and an amp to power them.
borinka99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 17th, 2003, 06:18 AM   #5
tastes like donkeyballs

Send a message via AIM to L_fty
Try out the MBQ dsd 6x9 series or the ref series... my bro has it running to a pioneer deck and he has some nice midbass tones coming from the back of his 99 Camry It shouldnt cost alot on eBay.
L_fty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 18th, 2003, 12:33 AM   #6

actually today i was pist to see that my new deck seems to give weaker bass than my stock... cuz it dont rattle the mirror nemore.

then i found out that my 1" speakers/tweeters on the front dash dont work. installation accident?

I JUST NEED SOME DAAMN BASS. whats a good cheap amp =P

mods:
OEM spoiler

audio:
it sucks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 18th, 2003, 12:50 AM   #7
Roll Out!

Send a message via AIM to tha eklectiq
pioneer 6x9 i got that shake my glass

the rebirth is coming...summer o7
tha eklectiq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 18th, 2003, 01:14 AM   #8

so the 6x9 really did make a diff for u?

if i get 6x9 i will get kickers for their bass
Old July 18th, 2003, 01:31 AM   #9

read my sig...

when i turn off the subs ( i was messin around with my deck for fun...) lol i was messin witht he speakers bass output and shiet and they're alright good "thumps" i guess if u turn it a bit loud...if u have a new deck and stock speakers and u turn it pretty loud...the speakers can't take em...get the pioneers 6x9 WHOA aren't they like 300 or 200 watts? they're crazy and nicee i'd get those

look around for some good deals tho...but try to make sure the deal is on good quality products like pioneer or alpine lol...
i still need to hook up my amp laying on the floor in my room to the speakers...

show:
DIY Black Housing headlights

Sound:
Pioneer DEH-P3500 deck

two 12' alpine type E subs
One sony 1000 watt amp
One pioneer 500 watt amp
two 6x9 alpine rear speakers
two 6 1/2 alpine front speakers
slEepinAkkord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 18th, 2003, 01:43 AM   #10

i dont want to get speakers with too high watts bc ive heard that underpowering will cause distortion & damage them. (esp since i dont have an amp....... yet?) i dont know if a 300 watt or whatever will make a difference in this aspect

and probably a really stupid question: does having more watts actually mean better bass?

i doubt it.

and i kno alpine & pioneer r good quality but since kicker is known for bass and not TOO pricey, i think i'd stick w/ kicker. suggestions?

mods:
OEM spoiler

audio:
it sucks!

Old July 18th, 2003, 01:56 AM   #11

ehh i think more watts...means it can take more...i think...iono...someone correct me... lol yea kickers are good too which speakers from kicker are u talking about? link?....yea...hMm u don't hafta get the pio's then....

show:

Sound:
Pioneer DEH-P3500 deck

One sony 1000 watt amp
One pioneer 500 watt amp
Old July 18th, 2003, 02:26 AM   #12

either the kicker k69s or the dx69... they're both on ebay for a low price right now.

yes, low-end as always. haha. is 30-21000 hz good enough for decent bass?

anyone's willing to chip in =D. i just got this car about 3 weeks ago & im dying for some bass.
Old July 18th, 2003, 06:15 AM   #13
tastes like donkeyballs

I'll chip in.. r u cute?

Some tips on getting the bass you want:
Find speakers with low wattage requirements... 30-50watts rms.. these kind of speakers will be happy with the 15-19watts rms put out by your deck and give you some bass extension. That range 30-21000hz is basically nonsense... virtually any speaker is capable of playing between 20-20000hz... it doesnt mean the speaker will play it with audible tones, or distort.

The hz you are most concerned with is between 80-200hz range.. that's where midbass will shine in most 6x9s and 6.5s

So look for some cheap pioneers, kenwoods, or eclipses with low wattage requirments and high efficiency...

so u got any pics? ........of your stereo I mean
Old July 18th, 2003, 01:58 PM   #14

OOo damn ^pimp lol jk

yea i've seen ur accord on ur xanga :P lol it was 3 in the morning and was just lookin around.. haha yea got ne pix?

show:

Sound:
Pioneer DEH-P3500 deck

One sony 1000 watt amp
One pioneer 500 watt amp
Old July 18th, 2003, 02:22 PM   #15

from my personal experience the 6x9 will distort a lot w/ high levels of power b/c of their design... if u really want more bass then go w/ a circular speaker...

from what i understand... the 6x9's are more prone to distortion because of their oval shape... thats y u never find any oval shaped subs...makes sence to me... but just go w/ like a 10" sub or something in a sealed box and just run like 300watts to it... thats no more than 400 total depending on what u get..
swtaccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 18th, 2003, 06:21 PM   #16

haha i appreciate the dudes helpin me out. i kno DOOKII is gonna laugh at me when he reads this thread. i dont have pix online but yall have my xanga so keep posted? haha

and..
damn damn damn. i dont even have that much money to spend. just thinkin bout:
1. gettin alpine or kicker 6x9s that have like 30-50 watts RMS like L_efty said to do
or
2. get an amp for like $100 & kicker k69 speakers

i dont get it tho. can one amp power both the speakers & a sub? or do you hafta get separate ones for each.

a sub would rock though. just dont wanna end up spending $400 cuz i dont need down-the-street-bumpin bass.
Old July 19th, 2003, 12:15 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to dookii
Quote:
Originally posted by SwTbeB4Lyfe43 on July 18th, 2003 at 05:21 PM

haha i appreciate the dudes helpin me out. i kno DOOKII is gonna laugh at me when he reads this thread. i dont have pix online but yall have my xanga so keep posted? haha
DIY Clear Headlights

Last edited by dookii; July 19th, 2003 at 12:17 AM..
dookii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 19th, 2003, 12:37 AM   #18

Heyas SwTbeB4Lyfe43.. I just wanted to chime in here and put in my 2 cents. The deal goes sorta like this from my personal experience with the many hundreds of speakers. You say your looking for some 6x9's that you can plop down in your Accord to give you some bump. Now while i agree with replacing the stock 6x9's in the back ( cause they are teh suck! ) what you wont get is thumpy bass.. You'll get some decent midbass ( low guitar strings, high bass strings, synthetic sounds ). Again, replacing your 6x9's is a good idea but check this idea out.

Find someone ( ebay is good ) that is selling a cheap but good setup with a small subwoofer, small but good amp and a box. Since your not looking for earth shattering bass, just about any decent setup with a 10 inch subwoofer and dedicated amp will do. Just dont buy a 50 dollah p.o.s.

What this will do is this:

1) You can keep yoru stock speakers in place for now and just change them out whenever you feel like it.

2) The subwoofer will give you the best of both worlds in the fact that
A) your midbass just improved 10 fold
B) you just the lower bass notes your 6x9's could never play
C) you didnt have to worry about replacing any stock speakers. you just added 1 more and solved a bunch of problems.
D) You can get away with a cheap setup for like 250-300. Thats installed by a local shop!

Basically your not really gonna find a 6x9 that does what you want. If your expecting real bass ( even though it isnt slamming bass ) from a 6x9 its just gonna upset you. The speaker is designed to hold a tweeter and midbass. Midbass will never ever be true low bass that your missing right now.

Anyway. Check this out and dont be scared by all the technical crap. Talk to a local shop and tell them you are only wanting to put a LITTLE bass and your not going to be spending much money. Tell them straight up you wanna spend 200-300 and thats it. Period. You want it installed for tha price and that your shopping around. You'll come out a winner by doing a bit of shopping but in the end you'll learn more and come out with something you know is going to work for you. Let me know if you have any questions.

Just remember:
You dont gotta spend a ton of money to get bass. You dont have to worry about all the technical crap to enjoy a good system.

But most important of all.. Shop around and learen what different things sound like and cost. Once you actually go to a store you'll see what i'm talking about. Shop around girl! Its worth it.
Orthetic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 19th, 2003, 01:15 AM   #19

yes One amp can power one sub and 2 speakers...it just depends on how many channels it has...like a 2 channel amp could power 2 speakers...3 channels 2 speakers and 1 sub...etc....just look for the right amp yea......and what Orthetic said on ebay u can look for some good deals, u dont' need Huge bass, just something u can enjoy while driving Good luck wit yo car

show:

Sound:
Pioneer DEH-P3500 deck

One sony 1000 watt amp
One pioneer 500 watt amp
Old July 19th, 2003, 08:18 AM   #20
:::::::Gettin' By:::::::

Hey SwTbeB4Lyfe43,

I would suggest replacing all your speakers and running them on a 4-channel amp. That's what I did and the bass is better than decent. I don't mean to get technical but all my speakers are rated at about 150-200 watts and I'm running them off a 4 channel amp with 30 watts per channel. When bass kicks it shakes my rear view and my side mirrors. And surprisingly I'm still using my stock Honda deck.

IMO, you'll appreciate the difference you'll hear when you replace all the speakers compared to only adding a sub to stock speakers.

For answers to general questions check out this link:

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/le...akers_faq.html

I know it's a lot of info but it's good to know.

Last edited by V6nighthawk00; July 19th, 2003 at 08:21 AM..
V6nighthawk00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 19th, 2003, 08:34 AM   #21
Old Member

Send a message via AIM to Du3ce
speaking of speakers how do i wire my 2 6x9 speakers through my 2 channel amp, im gonna sell my RF 12' Woofers and maybe thinking about getting some kickers woofers and a mono amp.
Du3ce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 19th, 2003, 03:21 PM   #22

orthetic your tips were really helpful and i think i am gonna shop around a bit. i just hope those mofo's dont try to overprice me crazily like they did last time, that was pretty insulting. they think a girl dont know anything =P

after listenin to sleepinakkord & V6nighthawk00 too, either way im gonna get myself a 4 chan amp and work from there.
now my 6x9s.. im thinkin ones w/ rubber surround cuz theyre good with bass, or else just kicker k69s

i love this forum! u guys r so helpful
Old July 19th, 2003, 03:51 PM   #23

its kicker k69 vs infinity reference 6952i vs kenwood kfc-6959ie
Old July 19th, 2003, 09:21 PM   #24
Roll Out!

Send a message via AIM to tha eklectiq
yea, get good set of speakers

this is what im planning

i got
pioneer 6.5
pioneer 6x9

and im planning
rockford fosgate 1200 watt multi channel amp
1 farad capacitor

boooooooooom bass

and u dont need subs

the rebirth is coming...summer o7
tha eklectiq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 19th, 2003, 11:05 PM   #25
Just a peter.

Send a message via ICQ to illusion
the most popular upgrade I saw when I was installing was either swapping out all stock speakers, this will give you cleaner highs, and midbass, although bass will still lack a tad. or swapping out all stock speakers, and adding a decent 5 channel amp and a pair of 8"s or 10"s. You''ll get volume clarity, and good bass. I detest when I see someone just add a sub. Ok it depends, if the sub is used to supliment the sound by adding just enough bass to sound good, then by all means go for it. But if you just add a sub to have so much bass it drowns out all mids and highs, I'm sorry but that's ghetto as hell.

I'm running an alpine f450 in my wifes car with a pair of old solobaric SD10s in the trunk and MB quart all the way around inside and it sounds soooo clean, and was reasonably inexpensive(for the sound she got, and compared to the $6k+ I've spent so far in my 'cord). If you got a decent 5 channel amp, and swapped out the stocks for some polks or infinitys and added a pair of decent 10s you'll be under a grand and have nice clean sound.

To the original post, a pair of 6x9"s may help, but the deck lacks real balls, so maybe just a decent 4 channel amp and swappin gout your stock speakers will do it for you. I have kicker RS6s up front(used to have CDT 642s, but killed them), with CDT braxial 6.5s in the back and if I disable my sub it has some pretty decent kick to it, enough to keep most people real happy, and it sounds sooooo clean.

Last edited by illusion; July 19th, 2003 at 11:12 PM..
illusion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 20th, 2003, 06:31 PM   #26

is it ok if i get infinity reference 6952i 6x9s that are 2-100 watts rms and i dont get amps?
Old July 20th, 2003, 08:54 PM   #27
Just a peter.

Send a message via ICQ to illusion
it would do ok, the bad part would be that the rear speakers would be brighter than the front speakers, so your image would shift to the back. What about changing out to a good set of components for the front. My RS6s have strikingly decent bass for door speakers, although I did put a rubber baffle behind them to help them out. If you're going to change out the back, I really would change the front too, or as I said it will sound odd because there will be cleaner sound coming from behind you.
illusion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 21st, 2003, 01:25 AM   #28

where did you get rubber baffles? i can only find foam ones online
Old July 21st, 2003, 06:48 AM   #29
tastes like donkeyballs

surpisingly PepBoys sells some Metra strong plastic baffles. Much better than those MTX foam type ones.
Old July 22nd, 2003, 12:35 AM   #30

i'll buy u a whole system SwTbeB4Lyfe43

lol jk

o well yea...i'd try to stay away from just getting rear 6x9 and not switching out the front 6x5 speakers....

show:

Sound:
Pioneer DEH-P3500 deck

One sony 1000 watt amp
One pioneer 500 watt amp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in