Questions on building a sub box - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 18th, 2003, 03:13 PM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to '95AccordV6 Send a message via AIM to '95AccordV6
Questions on building a sub box

I bought 2 12" L7's dual 4 ohm's a while back and couldnt afford to have them installed. now i just want to build my own box for them. i just had a few questions first.

1)should i build a squared off box, or can i build one with a slanted back. i would prefer the slanted back, cuz it would fit better.

2)Can i build to seperate boxes for each sub, or should i put them in the same box.

3)how hard is it to port a box, or would it sound better if i just left these subs sealed.

4) should i go with the recommended airvolume or is there a better volume to use?

Heres a few specs if it helps, just in case:
my box can be about 29x7x18 (l/w/h)
and im getting a visonik 1200.1 amp

my plan is to build the box and then put a board on the front so its flush with the trunk. and maybe add a light or two somewhere.

I have all the tools and can hold my own in woodworking.

-AEM CAI - NGK Iridium IX Plugs
- Bel 985 - Visonik 6x9's and door speakers

see my car and [email protected]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
nothin special, but i like it
'95AccordV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 18th, 2003, 03:54 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to k3yz
Re: Questions on building a sub box

Quote:
Originally posted by '95AccordV6 on July 18th, 2003 at 02:13 PM

I bought 2 12" L7's dual 4 ohm's a while back and couldnt afford to have them installed. now i just want to build my own box for them. i just had a few questions first.

Nice subs :-) WTG

Quote:
1)should i build a squared off box, or can i build one with a slanted back. i would prefer the slanted back, cuz it would fit better.
You CAN build it w/ a slanted back; but it's a LOT harder b/c of the angle cuts and also figuring out the volume. I've always just built mine square and they fit pretty well; you may lose like an inch or so I guess; but...I dunno, I built mine so that it takes up the entire height of my trunk and entire width and made it as shallow as possible. If this is your first box; I'd probably go square as slanted ones are tough; heck....even a good square one is tough; especially for your first :-) You said you can hold your own at wordworking though; so if ya think ya can then go for it! Would be nicer!

Quote:

2)Can i build to seperate boxes for each sub, or should i put them in the same box.
Either way. If you think space wise or something two would be better, then go for it. If ya want just build one....just have a separator in between there. So it's basically to boxes just sharing one edge, ya know what I mean?
Like:
________
| 0 | 0 |
-------------

So they're each sealed and have their own space but it's still one box... You can tell if they're completely sealed b/c if you push one sub in w/ your hand, the other one shouldn't move AT ALL. If it does then they're not each sealed from each other.

Quote:

3)how hard is it to port a box, or would it sound better if i just left these subs sealed.
I haven't heard any W7s ported (only heard them sealed & they sounded great) but almost any subs I've heard; I like themy MUCH better sealed more so than ported. Also, normally the box is smaller when it's sealed than porter; and since you wanted more space that'd probably be better.

Quote:

4) should i go with the recommended airvolume or is there a better volume to use?
I'd go with whatever the specs say. I'd imagine they're around 1 cu foot? But; yeah, go with what JL Says for them :-)

Quote:

Heres a few specs if it helps, just in case:
my box can be about 29x7x18 (l/w/h)
and im getting a visonik 1200.1 amp

my plan is to build the box and then put a board on the front so its flush with the trunk. and maybe add a light or two somewhere.

I have all the tools and can hold my own in woodworking.
Quote:
Good luck with the box! One tip I'd recommend, you're going to want caulking, I would buy the hand held one's that you squeeze. I know the ones you use a gun w/ are only $.99 and the squeeze ones are half the amount for $2.50; but it makes it a lot easier when you're trying to fit your hand in the 12" hole and seal the inside ledge of the box. It's really, really hard w/ a gun :-) Make sure ya seal it really good and a lot of times the carpeting will help seal around the subs; like if the circle's not perfect or whatever; a lotta times the carpet can help seal it; if not get some foam tape or something from home depot for like $2 and you can put that around to help seal where you screw it down!

Good luck with this! I've built about four/five boxes now (not a 'great' deal; but...I got better at each one! Good luck with it!)

Feel free to e-mail me ([email protected]) or PM if ya want!

Later,
Mark

OEM Spoiler, RF 4 ch Amp, Sony 2ch Amp, 2 10" MTX Subs
k3yz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 19th, 2003, 03:39 PM   #3
My AV6 is all gone...

Send a message via AIM to 6spdcoupe
I think K3Yz misread, they are L7s by Kicker not W7s by JL.

In any event, with the alotted space you have available you would be pushing your limits using both of those subs. Kicker built those subs intending for them to be used in a Vented enclosure, for one of the L7s you are looking at about 1.75 Cf, you allowed space only adds up to about 2Cf Total, so vented would not work for you. Sealed would work, but again pushing your alloted space, they will want to work off of about .9Cf- 2Cf each ( I found 1.25 to work great).

As far as slanted or straight, its your choice if you feel secure enough to do it. Keep in mind though, a sub will only work as well as the enclosure it is in. Building a box is relatively simple, it is getting the proper airspace that can be tricky.

--Don

'05 G35 Premium/Aero/Sport...
6spdcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old July 19th, 2003, 03:54 PM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to '95AccordV6 Send a message via AIM to '95AccordV6
i think i can pull off 1.25. i just gotta find a place to stuff my amp.

so the slanted back as opposed to the regular box doesnt effect the SQ, assuming there the same volume?

and thanks fo the help so far.
'95AccordV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 19th, 2003, 05:23 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to 99AznAccord
Ok well first of all....the L7 has many different ways you can find a setup for to make them sound good. You can make it either sealed or ported, but most will tell you to go ported. In order to get a good ported box, you must tune it to the right frequency and don't forget to get one of those fmod connector things. I forget what they are called, but it helps from making the sub play below the tuned frequency so your sub won't bottom out. The L& requires a LOT of power to get it to move. RMS states about 750 for the 12" but you probably want more around 1000 watts on average. I have a 12L7 just like you too and I did a LOT of research before I picked out this sub. First...if you want mostly sq, you should go sealed, but not the recommended specs they claim. I have talked to a guy that works at kicker and on Team Gates and he told me the best sealed box for a 12L7 is 2.0 cubic feet. That's what I did and it sounds great. It goes through all the frequencies without a problem and sound great. You can make a smaller box, but that would mean losing lower frequencies. For a ported box, go with a slotted port. They are supposed to sound the best so I dunno about that since I don't like ported boxes that much. Everyone says that once you go ported with an L7, you will never go back to sealed. Reason why I didn't go ported is because they require a BIG size box. Basically....the bigger the better. For a slanted box, that's fine as well and it isn't that hard to calculate. Well I'm sure you know how to calculate volume for just a regular box....l x w x h divided by 1728 equals volume. For an angled box you almost do the same thing. You take to top and the bottom piece, which would be different sizes to make the width, and add them together and divide that by 2. Then you take that and multiply height and length. Then divide by 1728. I hope you understood that. So if you have 2 12L7's, you still got a HUGE amount of space that you have to take up to make them sound good one way or the other. I've learned that the L7s sound good, but very inefficient, by wanting so much power to make it move and so much more space for it to make sound good. For 2 L7's you should make the sealed box about 4.0 cubic feet total. And you can put them in a separate box or the same. In the same box, you DON'T have to put them in a single chamber like the other guy said. I strongly suggest you NOT to that because if one sub blows, the other sub gets an increase amount of volume by doubling it and could destroy the other sub as well. Just take another piece of wood and divide the box in half giving it about 2.0 for each chamber. You also want to brace REALLY well since it will be a big box. The divider helps as a brace but not good enough for that size of volume. Just put little triangle pieces in the corners ro add sturdiness. You want to make it so an elephant can stand on it without flexing it. If there is anything else, feel free to ask.
99AznAccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in