Reverse Glow Gauge - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 13th, 2006, 05:02 PM   #1

Reverse Glow Gauge

I had someone install the reverse glow gauge for me because I don't want to mess up any wirings since it comes with a switch to change color and dimmer. To make the long story short, I think the installer f*^@ed up my gauge. The reason I could tell is when I pass those radar warnings on the local road that tells you what your speed is, my speedometer shows 45 mph but the radar says that I'm on 37 mph. Also I'm not sure if my RPM gauge is accurate, it seems accurate when it is on idle since it is around 800 rpm. But when I floor it the VTEC kicks in around around 3800 - 3900 rpm. I thought the VTEC kicks in around 3k rpm if I'm correct. Any thoughts on this on how I can fix it? I don't want to take it back to the installer before he mess up other stuff.
surreal612 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 13th, 2006, 05:06 PM   #2
central Cali accords

Send a message via AIM to mista jc
The reason MAYBE that your needles are sticking which can be fixed by double sided tape.. you js have to open up your dash again which a pita..

OR you have gauges for an i4 and you have a v6.. there is a difference from what I read before.
mista jc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 13th, 2006, 05:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mista jc
The reason MAYBE that your needles are sticking which can be fixed by double sided tape.. you js have to open up your dash again which a pita..

OR you have gauges for an i4 and you have a v6.. there is a difference from what I read before.

The gauge are designed for V6. And yes, it has double sided tape at the back, it was a problem at first because it was rubbing on the gauge but I suggested the double sided tape. So it wasn't rubbing anymore but the needles are not accurate anymore.

Old July 13th, 2006, 09:08 PM   #4

i did the same thing, but mine doesnt work hardly at all. i think you ahve to get a new one to fix it or pay to get it recalibrated
mike_d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 14th, 2006, 12:22 AM   #5
XCLUSV

Send a message via Yahoo to R-w00dickz
i had an indiglo gauge before and the thing is, on our v6 the gauge does not have a tiny screw to hold down the gauge face flat. we have to use a glue or double sided tape to flattened it out. my needles doesn't work right. rpm, speedometer, gas gauge always gettin stuck. i put glue even on the middle area just to stick it in. now that i took them off i messed it up bec. the glue stain stays there. now on stock neddles are working fine. i never thought of double sided tape before. wish i used that one instead.
R-w00dickz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 14th, 2006, 06:51 AM   #6

i think there is 2 options for the gauges after you tried glue, tape...etc.

the fork method, or shave teh bottom center of the needle with something like razor blade or scalpel
Old July 14th, 2006, 10:58 AM   #7

Gas Gauge doesnt work

I installed the reverse glow gauge, my gas gauge goes all the way up to full always
2000BlackAccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 14th, 2006, 11:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000BlackAccord
I installed the reverse glow gauge, my gas gauge goes all the way up to full always
I only have problem with the RPM and Speedometer gauge. The trick to the gas gauge is to fill up your gas tank and take of the needle again and put it back and point the needle to half full on the gauge. Start your engine and see how high your needle will go up and then adjust it from there. Same thing with the temp gauge, make sure that your engine has been running for 10 minutes and then make the necessary adjustments on the needle..
Old July 14th, 2006, 11:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
i think there is 2 options for the gauges after you tried glue, tape...etc.

the fork method, or shave teh bottom center of the needle with something like razor blade or scalpel

I've done that too (shaved the bottom center) because the center round piece of the needle was rubbing on the edge of the center gauge. But you might be right about having it recalibrated. Where can I go to do that? And how much does it cost?
Old July 21st, 2006, 09:57 PM   #10

took mine off and left a glue stain
99accordowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 27th, 2006, 10:00 AM   #11
T-Rob

Send a message via AIM to ccordpower
Man, everyone's had the same problem and people STILL don't learn!! Slip on guages **** up your guage cluster. Glue leaves behind a big mess when you decide to change them. I tried to cut the back side of the round area on my speedo needle and actually made the problem worse. I used a file and a razor but I couldn't get the last bit off.
The have an LED conversion you can do for $40 and it looks better and saves your cluster. If you need a new cluster you can get them online and www.HondaPartsDeals.com for $187. Good luck.
ccordpower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 27th, 2006, 10:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccordpower
Man, everyone's had the same problem and people STILL don't learn!! Slip on guages **** up your guage cluster. Glue leaves behind a big mess when you decide to change them. I tried to cut the back side of the round area on my speedo needle and actually made the problem worse. I used a file and a razor but I couldn't get the last bit off.
The have an LED conversion you can do for $40 and it looks better and saves your cluster. If you need a new cluster you can get them online and www.HondaPartsDeals.com for $187. Good luck.
Where can I get the LED's. Do you need to solder it or just snaps in? Also with the new cluster where can I have it program and how much?
Old July 27th, 2006, 11:13 AM   #13
T-Rob

Send a message via AIM to ccordpower
If you buy a new cluster it just plugs right in.
Here's the exact link for the cluster: Here
As for the LED Conversion, the new LED's they send you pop right in place of the stock LED's. No soldering. The link for this is: Here
I hope this helps, Good Luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ccordpower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 30th, 2006, 04:20 PM   #14

For those of you who removed your reverse glow gauge, are your speedometer and RPM needles still messed up and inaccurate?
Old August 30th, 2006, 04:33 PM   #15

yes, i took mine off bc they would stick and i couldnt get it to be right with them on. now i never know how fast im going bc the speedometer jumps andsticks and all that good stuff. gas light sometimes comes on at 1/4 of a tnk with 2 or 3 gallons still in teh tank. never did it before
Old August 30th, 2006, 05:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
yes, i took mine off bc they would stick and i couldnt get it to be right with them on. now i never know how fast im going bc the speedometer jumps andsticks and all that good stuff. gas light sometimes comes on at 1/4 of a tnk with 2 or 3 gallons still in teh tank. never did it before
now that you took off your reverse glow gauges, is everything okay and accurate now with your gauges?
Old August 30th, 2006, 07:01 PM   #17
EliteCM.net

Send a message via AIM to sy272004 Send a message via Yahoo to sy272004
Quote:
Originally Posted by surreal612
I had someone install the reverse glow gauge for me because I don't want to mess up any wirings since it comes with a switch to change color and dimmer. To make the long story short, I think the installer f*^@ed up my gauge. The reason I could tell is when I pass those radar warnings on the local road that tells you what your speed is, my speedometer shows 45 mph but the radar says that I'm on 37 mph. Also I'm not sure if my RPM gauge is accurate, it seems accurate when it is on idle since it is around 800 rpm. But when I floor it the VTEC kicks in around around 3800 - 3900 rpm. I thought the VTEC kicks in around 3k rpm if I'm correct. Any thoughts on this on how I can fix it? I don't want to take it back to the installer before he mess up other stuff.
as far as i read second stage of vtec kicks in at 2500 and third at 4500rpm(first starts when engine is on). but i can be wrong or its different for different honda engines
sy272004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 31st, 2006, 10:22 AM   #18
Suppa Clean 6th Gen

i thought our engines only had one vtec engagement, i-vtec has 3, but for 6th gen f23's vtec engades at 2500 and j30's were around 3500.... i could be wrong though...
Silver6gen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 31st, 2006, 04:27 PM   #19
XCLUSV

Send a message via Yahoo to R-w00dickz
Quote:
Originally Posted by surreal612
For those of you who removed your reverse glow gauge, are your speedometer and RPM needles still messed up and inaccurate?
Nope.
R-w00dickz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in