Painting the rotors.... - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 23rd, 2006, 07:23 PM   #1
V6P Lover

Send a message via AIM to v62kaccord
Painting the rotors....

hey guys sup... so recently i bought some brembo blank rear-rotors.... some of might know that these rotors rust so easily because it has no anti-rust agents....

ok so now i got the front-rotors and they're not installed yet...

I just want to know if it's safe to paint the rotors with the G2 caliper paint... G2 paint can handle up to 950 degrees i think...

I was thinking of doing this because the rust just looks awful... of course i wouldn't paint the whole rotor... but you know what i mean
v62kaccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 23rd, 2006, 07:34 PM   #2
✠ 2nd Amendment'r ✠

you dont want to paint the rotors....its fine to paint the calipers....but not the rotors...would probably cause slippage not to mention it would probably cause some problems for the pads.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3.2l 6MT
Function>Form
238hp/209tq
untuned↵
99cfENVYv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 23rd, 2006, 07:52 PM   #3
Old Member

Send a message via AIM to Du3ce
lol wow.....
Du3ce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old August 23rd, 2006, 08:02 PM   #4
original member!

Send a message via AIM to Nittanys1
dont bother with it....they are rotors.....it will be more of a pain to do all that then to just go with the flow...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SPONSORS:
-
-
Nittanys1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 23rd, 2006, 08:46 PM   #5
V6P Lover

i aint that stupid.. omg... im not trying to paint where the pads and rotors touch... im trying to paint where the rotors touch the wheels.... iono how to explain it but rust is present on mine and it look fugly
Old August 23rd, 2006, 09:06 PM   #6
✠ 2nd Amendment'r ✠

HAHAHA...oh

yea, thats fine...Ive heard of a lot of people painting with a high temp flat black...yeah there shouldnt be a prblem, but after a while if you take your rim off, the rim may adhesive itself to the paint, and the paint would stick to the back of the rim..thats the only possibleproblem i could think of..no mechanical probs though

3.2l 6MT
Function>Form
238hp/209tq
untuned↵
99cfENVYv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 23rd, 2006, 09:11 PM   #7

I get what you are saying and the answer is yes you can and yes you should. I did it on my preludes rotors years ago and it worked fine. Lightly sand the surface that is to be painted with a fine sand paper and then use a couple of coats. Alow them plenty of time to dry before you put the wheels back on. I had to replace the front rotors on my car recently and I am getting the rust run-off water onto the chrome rims and it looks like s**t. Post up some pics so others may know what you are trying to do visualy. If I get a chance maybe I will write up a DIY of some sort. No promises though I have a four day old newborn baby to tend to.
noslow100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 23rd, 2006, 10:04 PM   #8
V6P Lover

yeah maybe ill write a DIY when i do it... I just found some "clear vinyl" color paint and it can withstand 1500 degrees.....
Old August 26th, 2006, 09:32 PM   #9

I painted my rotors today and I changed the color of my calipers. This is not a diy because it really needs no explaining. Just remove the rotors. Sand the rusted areas around the hat and the rim of the rotor to remove the rust. Then spray and wipe it with a brake cleaning spray. Then pain it.
[IMG][/IMG]
Try and clean off excess paint off of the rotor surface as much as possible. If there is a little remaining it is okay because it will be removed by the pads and rotor contact when you drive the car the next time. Then reinstall your rotor and calipers.
[IMG][/IMG]
This is a before and after shot of my work from today. I painted the rotors because I kept getting rust water spots on the rims after they got wet. This should take care of most of it. Before[IMG][/IMG] After[IMG][/IMG]
Now the finished product.[IMG][/IMG]
noslow100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 26th, 2006, 10:34 PM   #10
original member!

Send a message via AIM to Nittanys1
^nice! I might have to pull of my wheel and take a look at my rotors!
Nittanys1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in