WW rear, molded or not molded? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 27th, 2007, 08:03 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to MuGENStyleV6TEC
WW rear, molded or not molded?

I'm getting my car painted real soon, and i'm gonna put on my wings west rear. Should i go molded or not molded?
MuGENStyleV6TEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 27th, 2007, 08:24 AM   #2
DV8
Hella Functional

Send a message via ICQ to DV8 Send a message via AIM to DV8 Send a message via MSN to DV8
I've never thought a molded kit was a good idea for a daily driven car. If you bottom out, or if your kit comes into contact with any hard surface, the molded area tends to fracture and crack, and taking your paint with it. But then again, it's in the rear.

When i look at most of those molded body ktis at car shows, if you look REAL close (like the fenders etc) you can notice slight cracking,, or the beginning of cracking.
DV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 27th, 2007, 08:33 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to O2 Jockey
^^ he has a very good point. flushing the back bumpers or lips always seemed risky to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
O2 Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old January 27th, 2007, 09:45 AM   #4

It usually looks prety nice....But if you crack it or dont like it, you got alot of work head of you to fix it.... Id say just make it fit REAL nice...

E
ericspda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 27th, 2007, 10:14 AM   #5
Butta

Send a message via AIM to POLOFOLK
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericspda
It usually looks prety nice....But if you crack it or dont like it, you got alot of work head of you to fix it.... Id say just make it fit REAL nice...

E

I agree....

But I have never seen a WW rear lip mounted, so it would be cool to see how it looks.
POLOFOLK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 2nd, 2007, 08:24 PM   #6
v not some model, my girl

Send a message via AIM to 99v6sedan
i would say to mold it. if you use the right products to mold it you should have no problem with seperation between the lip and rear bumper especially if the lip is abs plastic, and in the tpo family. i have seen correct mold jobs hold up for over 3 years and still going. DV8 the ones you see cracking were most likely "molded" by smearing bondo in the seams, which is the WRONG way to do it. you can easily run into problems with cracking when you mold fiberglass to metal, (there is a right way to do it) its two different materials that arent meant to stay bonded together forever.

Last edited by 99v6sedan; February 2nd, 2007 at 08:48 PM..
99v6sedan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 2nd, 2007, 08:55 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to 94AccordEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99v6sedan
i would say to mold it. if you use the right products to mold it you should have no problem with seperation between the lip and rear bumper especially if the lip is abs plastic, and in the tpo family. i have seen correct mold jobs hold up for over 3 years and still going. DV8 the ones you see cracking were most likely "molded" by smearing bondo in the seams, which is the WRONG way to do it. you can easily run into problems with cracking when you mold fiberglass to metal, (there is a right way to do it) its two different materials that arent meant to stay bonded together forever.

I molded my WW W-type on my 94 Accord (Totalled). It was very nice, but the front cracks shortly afterward since it's my daily. The Rear held on good for years.

Molding it was very hard. I had to use special urethane molding and rivetting it A LOT.
94AccordEX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 2nd, 2007, 10:01 PM   #8
Texas Made to the Fullest

Send a message via AIM to Tx_Accord98 Send a message via Yahoo to Tx_Accord98
I would say mold it. it will look clean as hell. you just have to make sure that it is held on very solid. urethane flexes too much and it may crack around dividing line of the bumper. with it being the back, it might not be that bad.
Tx_Accord98 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 3rd, 2007, 12:37 AM   #9
PSI Tuning /////

mold it! i molded my mugen rear and it looks so nice without that lil gap/space between the lip and the bumper
xxvietside is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 3rd, 2007, 01:52 AM   #10
LaLaLaLa

Send a message via AIM to stupidaznmunkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99v6sedan
what about w/polyurethane? the WW kit is poly urethane
stupidaznmunkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 3rd, 2007, 08:44 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to CRV_33
haha some local guy with a 6th gen coupe molded his ww rear lip and it loooked pretty clean. If memory serves correct, alphanumeric also did this as well but too bad he took down the pics on this forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CRV_33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 3rd, 2007, 10:34 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Accord_V6_400m
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuGENStyleV6TEC
I'm getting my car painted real soon, and i'm gonna put on my wings west rear. Should i go molded or not molded?
Mold....

Saw you yesterday at Autobacs
Accord_V6_400m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 12th, 2007, 10:27 PM   #13
V6P Groupbuy Approved

mold it only if you have $$ to deal with any future trouble
blownoffvalve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 13th, 2007, 10:25 AM   #14
v not some model, my girl

Send a message via AIM to 99v6sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidaznmunkey
what about w/polyurethane? the WW kit is poly urethane

yea you can mold poly as well...... i think its in the tpo family too.
99v6sedan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 3rd, 2007, 12:02 AM   #15
t|23v0|2 n00b t00n3|2

is there really a space between? like open air? I thought the lip kits were supposed to be flush if you make em fit right, but you can still see the separate lines. is that what you meant by gap/space? the lines? oh and I can't tell what the WW rear connects to, is it like a rear lip where it goes under the stock rear bumper? also, someone please help me find a good price for the WW rear, cause I have yet to find one under $250 shipped.
Trevendous03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 5th, 2007, 11:22 AM   #16
t|23v0|2 n00b t00n3|2

I'd say don't mold it, because it still looks good not molded, and you never know if the person you'll eventually wanna sell it to will want it, so it'd be a lot easier to take off the unmolded lip kit.
Old April 5th, 2007, 11:25 AM   #17
t|23v0|2 n00b t00n3|2

btw how does the WW rear go on b/c it's not really an underspoiler like the OEM kit, is the upper part of it much thinner and go over the stock rear bumper? because thats what it looks like it does. oh and do you have to lower your mufflers to make it work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in