questions dealing with body kits or coilovers... - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 28th, 2007, 02:31 PM   #1
t|23v0|2 n00b t00n3|2

Arrow questions dealing with body kits or coilovers...

for my 22nd bday, the parents said they would get me something for my 02 black ex av6 coupe as a gift and I'm guessing it'd be $800 or less.

I already have an OEM spoiler, an SPW strut bar, a magnaflow catback exhaust, a nopi intake (which I'm going to swap with an aem one of these days), tyc projectors with MKS 10000k HID kit, 17" ADR Sokudo rims on Fuzion ZRi tires (which I will probably swap for 18s or 19s sometime in the late future), and LED conversion throughout. The only mods I wish to make in the future are (1) body kit, (2) coilover damper kit, (3) camber kit, (4) AEM intake, (5) 18" or 19" wheels, (6) headers, and (7) UR pulleys. The only options, from what I have left to do, that I would like to consider for this gift are either the body kit or the coilover kit, mainly because I haven't really done anything to the body of my car or the suspension whatsoever.

So my questions are... in your opinion, which of these two should I ask for? If your answer is the body kit, I really like the BW sides and rear and either the R33 front or the BC2 front, but definitely lemme know what your favorite is, and leave pics if possible. Also, I have heard about some fitment problems; some body kits look extremely flush and some look a little off, and of course I'd like mine flush. In order to get a proper fitment, what websites offer the best value for the best quality/best-fitting body kits? Also, I have seen there are many advantages to getting duraflex/flex fiber body kits, but what's the problem with hand-laid fiberglass? Also, how much does it usually cost to have the body kit painted and installed on average?

If your answer to what I should ask for is the coilover kit, I would only be looking for inexpensive (like between $500 and $800 preferably) yet good quality. I could really care less about having 45-way adjusting or whatever. lol All I'd like is to lower the car a couple inches and to not go the cheap way out and get springs and shocks separately...plus that ends up being almost as expensive as some coilover kits anyway. I've heard NEX and Ksport offer the best for the price, but please lemme know your opinions. Oh and how much does installation cost and would I then need a camber kit right away?

Sorry this is so long, but this is a rather significant decision. Right now I am leaning more towards getting a body kit first then sometime in the near future getting a coilover kit and camber kit. I just really really hate the look of my stock body, and I'd love to give it more of an aggressive, sporty look. Thanks for reading this whole thing, and I'm sure you've all been in the same boat before. Get back with me soon.
Trevendous03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 28th, 2007, 03:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevendous03
for my 22nd bday, the parents said they would get me something for my 02 black ex av6 coupe as a gift and I'm guessing it'd be $800 or less...sure you've all been in the same boat before. Get back with me soon.
haha... My answer is yeah right my parents would ever get me something like for $800.00. My parents are like you are 22. Now, get a job and pay for your car!! You better give your parents a special treatment.

If you are going for bodykits, I like the R33 more. I don't know why, but for some reason, all the accords with that kit looks good. Look at Wayne Chen's ride at import tuner April 2007 edition.

For coilovers, TEIN basic might be enough. I am not expert at suspension. From what i know, you don't really need a camber kit unless you go lower than 2 inches. Also, check the tire wear to make sure. The cost of installation for just coilovers ranges from $120.00 (CC Autotuners & Custom-Mania) to $200.00 (GT-Concept and other places). You can also try http://www.heeltoeauto.com/. They may be in your area. I know they provide good discounts at acurazine.com. For camber kits, installation costs around $50.00 to $75.00. I would suggest to just do it them all together if you know that you are going go lower than 2 in because installation cost would be less.

Good luck.
neodragon0l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 28th, 2007, 03:28 PM   #3
t|23v0|2 n00b t00n3|2

Quote:
Originally Posted by neodragon0l
haha... My answer is yeah right my parents would ever get me something like for $800.00. My parents are like you are 22. Now, get a job and pay for your car!! You better give your parents a special treatment.

If you are going for bodykits, I like the R33 more. I don't know why, but for some reason, all the accords with that kit looks good. Look at Wayne Chen's ride at import tuner April 2007 edition...

Good luck.
Hey thanks for replying so quickly and thanks for the opinions. Yeah I def love the r33 front, mainly because it doesn't have so many holes and it doesn't look outrageous. I'll take a look at wayne chen's car then. I've already seen so many body kit combinations lol it's ridiculous. I like doing plenty of research for anything I buy. ha ha Except when I was 17, I bought 17" ADR sokudo rims on ebay, and they are very nice, but wow I wish I would have got like 18" konigs or something. Oh well, I'll deal for now. Yeah and about the coilovers...I have heard good things about Tein Basic as well, and it's like $750 or something for a 1.5" drop?? I wouldn't really ever wanna drop it past 2.5", so those would be good. I really am looking at body kits mainly, but yeah if I were to get a damper kit, if they weren't fully adjustable, then I'd just want a drop between 1.5" and 2.5". nothing crazy.

Old March 28th, 2007, 06:10 PM   #4

id say get some coilovers...your taste on kits may change but a drop never goes out of style
blackA-cord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 28th, 2007, 06:40 PM   #5
ExSlammed Club Member #52

Send a message via AIM to a99blackaccord Send a message via Yahoo to a99blackaccord
go for the drop. drops always look good.
a99blackaccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 28th, 2007, 06:46 PM   #6

DROP IT

You know you want to

And besides, everything else you want looks crappy at stock ride hieght...
(besides headers and pulleys, go get those right now)

E
ericspda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 28th, 2007, 06:47 PM   #7

definitely drop it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 28th, 2007, 06:48 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to datboiroy
ya id go wit a drop cause if you get a kit, i personally think kits look funny without a drop.
datboiroy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 28th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to metallikatz3
you dont even necessarily need coilovers, just get like H&R sport springs or an eibach prokit that will drop 1.5" - 2" First that will make your car look much better than a body kit that is gonna be bought and installed/painted cheaply ($800 is lowball for body work) A good kit will cost around $1000 by itself and at least another $1000 for top notch install and paint.

the suspension with springs will not only make your car look good, but handle well and make it more fun to drive. And the cost on it might go up to $800 including install depending on what you get.

so my vote, suspension definitely
metallikatz3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 28th, 2007, 08:34 PM   #10

i say springs, shocks, camber kit, and rear sway.
Hites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 28th, 2007, 10:53 PM   #11
t|23v0|2 n00b t00n3|2

$2,000 for body work...maybe in new york. lol the most I've even seen for the body kit I like is like $600, and it probably wouldn't cost $1000 for a paint and install. Thanks for the opinions though. metallikatz, tell me, why get eibach pro kit for $200 and no new shocks? my stock shocks would wear quickly right? and if I added $200 springs + $500 for decent shocks, then I'm already at $700, and why not get a full damper kit then? and plus it'd cost like $250 for the install right? So I'd be looking at around $1000 for suspension or probably $800 for body kit. Gosh car stuff really costs. ugh Oh and besides, I just hate the body styling of the accord coupe stock, it looks too much like a family car, so that's why I'm super interested in ground effects, and I've seen some applications that look pretty decent even at stock ride height. Of course anything dropped is gonna look even better, but I just can't afford both right now, and now I just found out one of my headlights got cracked when I hit a deer, so I have to purchase another set of aftermarket headlights, so it's gonna be $250 probably. ugh

anyway, can someone with a body kit please let me know how much it cost to have it installed and painted? and can someone please give me some options for lowering that aren't the cheap way out but are still inexpensive? thanks again all of you.
Old March 29th, 2007, 05:45 PM   #12

I personally love the bc2 kit. The entire kit is 499 and that is directly from buddyclub.com and I don't remember about shipping. Also down here in the south at a respectable body shop a paint job usually goes for about $200 a panel. So for a body kit they might charge $500 for paint and I don't know about install. I do my own work.
PrimeTimeV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 29th, 2007, 06:35 PM   #13
t|23v0|2 n00b t00n3|2

thanks for all the opinions. I'm trying to look for the best upgrade I can do right now for the money, excluding performance upgrades, because I have already done some. I will definitely do what I have listed at some point, but I am just needing to know if (for the best value) I should get a body kit and installed and painted, or get a damper kit and get it installed. I found an AIT Racing FRP composite Omega R33 body kit with BW sides and rear for $475 shipped, and I also found on <a>www.body-kitz.com</a> an omega r33 body kit for $499 shipped, and that's vfiber/VIS/AITRacing. Do you think I could then get it painted and installed for $400 or less?? I don't think I could get anything good suspension-wise for under $800, cause a body shop around here quoted $250 for installation. Someone please help me out, because I mean, I would love to do suspension, but I'd need to find coilovers that were like between $500 and $600. Anyone, anyone, ideas??
Old March 29th, 2007, 07:23 PM   #14
t|23v0|2 n00b t00n3|2

ok people...I found a Dropzone lowering spring + shock combo for $300, which is super cheap for a suspension upgrade. would this be a good idea? and would I need new pillow mounts then? or are there any other good combinations of springs/shocks or coilovers + shocks that would be just as good as a coilover kit? I found a NEX full coilover kit for $620 and also a Tein basic damper kit for $720, but really how much better is the handling or ride comfort going to be if I were to get a coilover kit over the spring/shock setup? Please let me know.
Old March 29th, 2007, 10:16 PM   #15

Quote:
ok people...I found a Dropzone lowering spring + shock combo for $300, which is super cheap for a suspension upgrade. would this be a good idea? and would I need new pillow mounts then? or are there any other good combinations of springs/shocks or coilovers + shocks that would be just as good as a coilover kit? I found a NEX full coilover kit for $620 and also a Tein basic damper kit for $720, but really how much better is the handling or ride comfort going to be if I were to get a coilover kit over the spring/shock setup? Please let me know.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOKIC...em160101120994

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ST-RE...spagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FRONT...spagenameZWDVW

$862.14 gets a really sweet suspension setup to your door, all which are namebrand quality products. you could go bigger with omnipower coilovers and an eibach rear sway bar, but the 3 links i provided to you are a ridiculously great bargain to completely change how your av6 feels.

Last edited by Hites; March 29th, 2007 at 10:20 PM..
Old March 29th, 2007, 11:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hites
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOKIC...em160101120994

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ST-RE...spagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FRONT...spagenameZWDVW

$862.14 gets a really sweet suspension setup to your door, all which are namebrand quality products. you could go bigger with omnipower coilovers and an eibach rear sway bar, but the 3 links i provided to you are a ridiculously great bargain to completely change how your av6 feels.
Noob question: how good is the camber kit you found on ebay? Any difference with Ingalls or SPC?
neodragon0l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 30th, 2007, 12:31 AM   #17
t|23v0|2 n00b t00n3|2

I think I'd rather get eibach sportlines with tokico illuminas that I found on www.performancepeddler.com for $450 shipped. I don't think I'd need a camber kit if I'm just lowering 2 inches would I? If so, then screw that, I'd just wanna go with the eibach prokit and drop it 1.5 inches if that was the case, but would 15" be enuff drop? btw I bought my magnaflow dual catback off performancepeddler for $435 shipped, so if anyone wants magnaflows, that's the best value I could find.
Old March 30th, 2007, 02:57 PM   #18

Quote:
I think I'd rather get eibach sportlines with tokico illuminas that I found on www.performancepeddler.com for $450 shipped. I don't think I'd need a camber kit if I'm just lowering 2 inches would I? If so, then screw that, I'd just wanna go with the eibach prokit and drop it 1.5 inches if that was the case, but would 15" be enuff drop? btw I bought my magnaflow dual catback off performancepeddler for $435 shipped, so if anyone wants magnaflows, that's the best value I could find.
i had barely any drop when i had my enkeis and cosmoracing coilovers and i could easily notice camber wear. i would DEFINITELY get a camber kit if you drop it just a fraction of an inch. better safe than sorry.
Old March 30th, 2007, 03:30 PM   #19
t|23v0|2 n00b t00n3|2

true, but camber kits are so expensive, and if I take it in for alignment every 4000 miles or so it should be fine. I think I finally have found what I want.

I still have some decisions to make, but here are my final options. (1) Suspension - Tokico HP with either Eibach Sportlines, Eibach Pro Kit, Neuspeed Sport, or Tein Stech; (2) Lip kit - Mugen front lip w/ either Mugen or WW sides and WW rear. If anyone has any better ideas about the lip kit, do share and/or show pics.
Old March 30th, 2007, 03:32 PM   #20
t|23v0|2 n00b t00n3|2

oh and of course I'd only be able to do suspension first due to lack of funds. Maybe I'd be able to do the mugen front and suspension like doctor x until I can get the rest of the kit.
Old March 30th, 2007, 10:03 PM   #21

Quote:
true, but camber kits are so expensive, and if I take it in for alignment every 4000 miles or so it should be fine. I think I finally have found what I want.
well i dont want to hear a single bit of complaining when you half-ass it. i cant count the number of my friends that half-ass modding their car then complain the day away, while all i do when theyre complaining is say "i told you so".
Old March 31st, 2007, 12:32 AM   #22
t|23v0|2 n00b t00n3|2

Quote:
well i dont want to hear a single bit of complaining when you half-ass it. i cant count the number of my friends that half-ass modding their car then complain the day away, while all i do when theyre complaining is say "i told you so".

well thanks for the concern and everything, but how much can I get a camber kit for? don't those even run around $400? I just don't have all the money in the world to spend on my car. I only have enough money to get suspension and maybe a front lip at the moment, cause my parents are nice enough to know my passion (one of my passions) and wanna get me a bday present for it. It's already probably gonna run $700 after installation. :-\ plus I might only drop like 1.7".
Old March 31st, 2007, 10:32 AM   #23
Destroyer of Tires

Coilovers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
What is

Doctor_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 31st, 2007, 11:01 AM   #24
neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel

Send a message via AIM to implayaz9 Send a message via Yahoo to implayaz9
suspension any day!
implayaz9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 31st, 2007, 11:17 AM   #25

Quote:
well thanks for the concern and everything, but how much can I get a camber kit for? don't those even run around $400? I just don't have all the money in the world to spend on my car. I only have enough money to get suspension and maybe a front lip at the moment, cause my parents are nice enough to know my passion (one of my passions) and wanna get me a bday present for it. It's already probably gonna run $700 after installation. :-\ plus I might only drop like 1.7".
check out the 3rd link i sent ya. good priced camber kit right thurrr.
Old March 31st, 2007, 12:48 PM   #26
t|23v0|2 n00b t00n3|2

Quote:
check out the 3rd link i sent ya. good priced camber kit right thurrr.
hites, that camber kit is still $200 almost. Maybe I'll get one at some pt just not anytime soon. maybe like end of summer? Idk.
Old March 31st, 2007, 02:34 PM   #27

Quote:
hites, that camber kit is still $200 almost. Maybe I'll get one at some pt just not anytime soon. maybe like end of summer? Idk.
$200 camber kit or at least $400 worth of tires that youre gonna chew through in no time. do the math.
Old April 1st, 2007, 02:12 AM   #28
t|23v0|2 n00b t00n3|2

hites, I can do math, I'm not retarded. I'm an accounting major. I just know that none of my friends have camber kits and they have more of a drop than I was thinking about getting, an their tires have been fine for a couple years already. I don't see why you think I'll chew thru the tires if I don't get a camber kit. it's not like I'm getting coilovers and dropping it over and over again. I am gonna drop it once and more than likely just 1.7", and of course I'll get it aligned frequently, so what's the big deal?
Old April 1st, 2007, 09:32 PM   #29
4.0L

^^ you'll be aight...i'm dropped WAY more than 2 inches and I have no camber kit. When I get my car aligned...toe and camber are within spec.
VietNinjaJ30A1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 1st, 2007, 11:07 PM   #30
Banned

Send a message via MSN to kleptodathief
ya drop the car first then get alignment to c if u need camber kit(s), some like viet don't even need it! GL course the lower u drop it, the chances r higher u'll need a camberkits!
kleptodathief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in