ballpark estimate for lip install? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 30th, 2007, 08:34 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to BleakSpeaks69
ballpark estimate for lip install?

About how much do you think it would cost me to have a bodyshop paint and install a mugen lip? How much did you pay? Can I maybe do it myself?

I also have eyelids that need to be painted and would like to cut the bar in the front bumper to have a type-r style grille.

thx
BleakSpeaks69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 30th, 2007, 08:36 PM   #2
ExSlammed Club Member #52

Send a message via AIM to a99blackaccord Send a message via Yahoo to a99blackaccord
Im not sure about diy painting, but I know that several people install the lip theirselves. It is just lining up where to drill holes at and then drilling. I would probably suggest having a buddy help you line it up correctly.
a99blackaccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 1st, 2007, 02:01 AM   #3
Destroyer of Tires

You can't be serious about having a shop install a Mugen lip right? I just screwed mine down with four screws, two on top and two on the sides/back. The paint and whatnot you might want to get done professionally but the install is a no brainer... most people put a strip of 3M double sided adhesive tape under the middle section on their front lip but I found that four screws is more than enough. By the way, beware of the Mugen lips/Type R lips/any other ABS plastic lip... I'm on my third one and I've already cracked it. Thinking of replacing it again already.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
What is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Doctor_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old May 1st, 2007, 02:08 AM   #4
A n g u s D e i

Send a message via AIM to itchthys
^Well you are pretty low. ; ) I haven't had any problems with mine.. yet. LOL maybe when I slam it with those AMRs.
itchthys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 1st, 2007, 02:43 AM   #5
LaLaLaLa

Send a message via AIM to stupidaznmunkey
wait kevin the one u have on right now is the OEM paint one right?

gg.
stupidaznmunkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 1st, 2007, 02:53 AM   #6
Destroyer of Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidaznmunkey
wait kevin the one u have on right now is the OEM paint one right?

gg.
Yup

Old May 1st, 2007, 02:56 AM   #7
A n g u s D e i

Send a message via AIM to itchthys
er.. cracked.. ALREADY? Geez, aggressive driver aren't we. ;D
itchthys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 1st, 2007, 03:10 AM   #8
LaLaLaLa

Send a message via AIM to stupidaznmunkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_X
Yup
want my WW kit? i'll trade you...jk.....
stupidaznmunkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 1st, 2007, 04:14 AM   #9
Destroyer of Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchthys
er.. cracked.. ALREADY? Geez, aggressive driver aren't we. ;D
I snapped the side going under one mph.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidaznmunkey
want my WW kit? i'll trade you...jk.....
Can I test fit your front and rear?

Old May 1st, 2007, 09:23 AM   #10
t|23v0|2 n00b t00n3|2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_X
I snapped the side going under one mph.

Can I test fit your front and rear?
is it just cause you're slammed? cause I'm dropping my car this coming weekend with tein stech and tokico blues, and I'm thinking about getting a mugen front lip for the time being and doing diy install and diy autozone paint job, but I wouldn't want it to crack. :-\ where'd you crack it again? a driveway or a pothole or what? there's lots of potholes on campus roads around where I live. maybe it'd be better to just get the full urethane wings west kit later on. I found the full kit for $450 shipped, but something just gets me about the ww front. I think I dislike the center part of the front.
Trevendous03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 1st, 2007, 01:33 PM   #11

Well I know I can do the install for the lip and eyelids (piece of cake) but I know I can't do the grille and I know I can't paint it.
Old May 1st, 2007, 01:39 PM   #12

no kevin cracked 3 lips because he doesnt know how to drive haha.

and you can do diy painting easily, i dont know what the painting rate goes for in NY but I was quoted like 300 or something ridiculous at shops in CA. So I just did it myself, cost me bout 50bux. Turned out nice and shiny too haha.
blackhawk411 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 1st, 2007, 01:47 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to starrsearch_ Send a message via MSN to starrsearch_
Lol lip would be easy to install...just line up right slap some screws or 3M double sided molding tape and there you go! Grill should not be hard either, but the only problem it requires too much work, and it might not line up right, so I advice just getting an aftermarket body kit that will let you have a grill...
starrsearch_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 1st, 2007, 01:56 PM   #14
Destroyer of Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevendous03
is it just cause you're slammed? cause I'm dropping my car this coming weekend with tein stech and tokico blues, and I'm thinking about getting a mugen front lip for the time being and doing diy install and diy autozone paint job, but I wouldn't want it to crack. :-\ where'd you crack it again? a driveway or a pothole or what? there's lots of potholes on campus roads around where I live. maybe it'd be better to just get the full urethane wings west kit later on. I found the full kit for $450 shipped, but something just gets me about the ww front. I think I dislike the center part of the front.
Yeah, it's because the bottom of my lip is only four inches off the ground. I don't think you'll be near that low so you'll be ok. I was leaving a park where the driveway was VERY steep and the street actually came up from the gutter, so it was a lose lose situation for me. Don't worry too much about it, as long as you are careful about where you drive and how you drive the car you'll be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk411
no kevin cracked 3 lips because he doesnt know how to drive haha.

and you can do diy painting easily, i dont know what the painting rate goes for in NY but I was quoted like 300 or something ridiculous at shops in CA. So I just did it myself, cost me bout 50bux. Turned out nice and shiny too haha.
You shush or you don't get any help with your suspension .

Old May 1st, 2007, 02:36 PM   #15
B2theRaN1

where can you find paint for your car's color? I have a champange paint job on my honda and i wanted to paint my spoiler
b2theran1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 1st, 2007, 04:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2theran1
where can you find paint for your car's color? I have a champange paint job on my honda and i wanted to paint my spoiler
any local auto paint shop will mix it for you...please dont use autozone aerosole paint kuz it will not match your color. You can also choose from variety of brands but I recommend P&G, its little bit more expensive than other brands but it's pretty good.
blackhawk411 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:24 PM   #17
Butta

Send a message via AIM to POLOFOLK
I painted my lip and eyelids with a can from this place. http://www.paintscratch.com/

Very easy, and cheap, and came out perfect.

POLOFOLK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 1st, 2007, 09:22 PM   #18

polofolk, what else do you know about paint applications? So far you have answered my questions for rim painting and lip painting! Which ones do I order btw? Base coat, clear coat, and primer? Wouldn't I need to do some prepping on the lip i.e. sanding?

Most roads that aren't highways suck around here but thankfully about 4/5 of my commute is highway travel. That 1/5 that isn't is full of potholes 1 or even 2 inches deep. I wouldn't be surprised if I crack the lip within a few months..

Thanks for the replies everybody

*I'll post my first pics after everything is done

Last edited by BleakSpeaks69; May 1st, 2007 at 09:27 PM..
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:35 PM   #19
Butta

Send a message via AIM to POLOFOLK
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleakSpeaks69
polofolk, what else do you know about paint applications? So far you have answered my questions for rim painting and lip painting! Which ones do I order btw? Base coat, clear coat, and primer? Wouldn't I need to do some prepping on the lip i.e. sanding?

Most roads that aren't highways suck around here but thankfully about 4/5 of my commute is highway travel. That 1/5 that isn't is full of potholes 1 or even 2 inches deep. I wouldn't be surprised if I crack the lip within a few months..

Thanks for the replies everybody

*I'll post my first pics after everything is done

All I ordered from http://www.paintscratch.com/ was the paint, adheasion promoter, and clear coat. The only Prep I did was use simple green to clean the lip very good, spray the adhesion promoter on the lip so the paint sticks to the plastic, then put a couple of coats of paint on it, then a couple of coats of clear, and it came out nice. For the rims, and they came out nice aswell. With the rims, I have read that if you prep the rims with primer before you paint, it will come out shinnier. I didn't primer, I just cleaned real good and painted em. Then added clear coat. The paint I used was duplicolor black wheel paint.

My words of widsom to you is this. More light coats are much better than few heavy coats. All in all, the level of dificulty of these projects is over rated. Anyone can do it with patience

POLOFOLK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in