DIY: Dash Painting (Gunmetal) and Din Cover - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD FAQ
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 8th, 2003, 06:57 PM   #1
Your V12, My V-twin.

Send a message via AIM to JonHsiung
Lightbulb DIY: Dash Painting (Gunmetal) and Din Cover

This is for all those of you that keep asking me how to do it. Hopefully my PM box will die down, as much as I enjoy answering all your questions...

Dash Painting

1. Choose your color. DupliColor makes a good spray paint which is semi-intended to be on your dash accessories (since it says so on the can). I chose gunmetal.

Choose your spraypaint...

Sorry, I only have blue, black, gunmetal, primer, and clear.

2. Take off all your accessories. The passenger vent pops off with a flathead, for the center console, you have to remove the clock and get the three phillips screws (one behind the clock and two at the bottom of the console), the driver side vent requires you to take out the coin tray and then take off those two philips head screws, and the top two defoggers can be taken out by inserting a paperclip so that when you pull out, it will hook one of the defogger dividers and pull directly upward.

3. Use one can of white primer. No matter what color you use, white primer is a good base because most colors come out how they intended to be. Sometimes, the paint wont stick if you dont use primer. One layer should be fine. You can sand it if you want a smoother finish. I didn't because I'm lazy and I kinda like the texture thing.

4. I sprayed three coats of gunmetal onto the accessories. Don't forget to move the vents around (up,down,left,right) between coats so that way next time you spray, it will cover all of it.

5. Spray two layers of DupliColor Clearcoat top coat.

How to spraypaint: hold the can about 10-14" away from the surface, which should be laid down on a piece of newspaper. Press nozzle so it will release a cloud of the paint and the cloud will drift evenly and lightly onto the surface. Keep until you have a nice even surface. This way you won't saturate the surface and the paint won't run.

6. Congratulations. Now you have just copied me along with the other five AV6'ers on this board who chose gunmetal...Of which I copied the directions from Viper in his blue/silver scheme. (Before the board got ****ed in the ass and now has learned to run faster.)

How to create a center console thingamajig.

1. Take the Accord emblem off the back of your ride. Or buy one a the dealership for $18. Yes. That's right. $18. haha. or somewhere around there. Floss and a blowdryer works well I hear. DO NOT TAKE IT OFF ANYBODY ELSE'S RIDE. I'll personally beat your ass if I see you jacking someone else's shiet. Hehe. j/k. All in good fun.

2. You can pick up some 1/4"-thick plexiglass at Home Depot or any hardware store. Mark out the area that you need to cover the din with a marker. Make sure you have a little room larger than you marked when you cut/melt it out of the board.

3. A 99-cent store solder iron works wonders to melt the plexiglass. A rotary tool (dremel) works great too. Get some sandpaper to sand down the edges so they're flat and keep sanding until it's flat and the edges match the size of the din.

4. You can buy a small piano hinge and miniature handle to drill into the plexiglass if you want it to look clean. Otherwise, you can use black vinyl on the ends and clear packaging tape across the top to attach it to the din so that it will become a door. That's the ghetto way...which I took. Now you can put all your miscellaneous crap, cd's, coins, drugs, etc. behind the door.

5. Re-double-sided-stick-tape your emblems to it.

Here's some pics when you're done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JonHsiung; April 17th, 2004 at 03:30 PM..
JonHsiung is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 8th, 2003, 07:00 PM   #2
Senior Moderhater

Send a message via AIM to abram2001
I love the gauge cluter, and indiglo's its looks really nice together, thanks for the info bro
abram2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 8th, 2003, 09:42 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to JDMV6ACCORD
DAMNNN ARGH! That looks so clean. I didn't want the silver color, but that is so tyte, (I HATE SHINEY S***, IT REMINDS ME OF THE MEXICANS THAT PLAY SOCCER AND LOVER CHROME AND NIKE SIGNS), but dannnnggggggg I want to do this but I don't wanna copy you man. I like to Be OG. . But this is one tyte MOD, I love the gunmetal, HMMM I'll see what other colors they have. DO YOU HAVE TO SAND OR ROUGH UP THE DASH BEFORE YPU PAINT? OR YOU JUST SPRAY ON THE WHITE PRIMER AND YOU"RE GOOD TO GO?

Do you have any pics of the indiglo on? I can't get into your website w/o being a member. Also nice needles too, what kind are they also? Sorry just curious, I'd go red if i get anything.

DANG AS I THOUGHT OF IT, IM GOING TO KEEP MINES OG. THAT'S YOUR OG AND I DONT WANNA COPY IT, I'LL HOPEFULLY FIGURE OUT SOMN GOOD TOO.

I WANT A TACOMA

Last edited by JDMV6ACCORD; May 8th, 2003 at 09:50 PM..
JDMV6ACCORD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old May 8th, 2003, 09:56 PM   #4
Your V12, My V-twin.

I didn't sand anything. just spray on the primer and i was good to go. if you want, you can though. it'll be a bit smoother, but it's not necessary.

The gauges were from ebay. they're probably the same thing as These (click)

the needles were stripped off from their original paint by paint thinner and painted transparent blue. unfortunately, it's still not bright enough and i dont want to get the blue needle kit (too afraid to bother with needles) so i'm going to get it LED converted when i have a lil more time. it looks kinda ugly with the stock bulbs behind tho. sorry. here's some pics.

in blue mode...

Last edited by JonHsiung; April 17th, 2004 at 03:27 PM..
Old May 9th, 2003, 01:12 AM   #5

lol i keep my spray paint in a car board box too
Blazin036 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 9th, 2003, 11:54 AM   #6

man , that look nice. but i had a really bad experience with painting the interior. fisrt I start off just like you did, then it get pretty adicting, so I end up painted my door panals, and the whole interior, including the dashboard. Then later on it get really dirty( maybe it just me) now I repaint the whole interior back to black. and it look good. but hey it look good. But for me I really regred about painting my interior
gOtJuice_00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 9th, 2003, 12:00 PM   #7
Has a Large Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JonHsiung on May 8th, 2003 at 11:56 PM

I didn't sand anything. just spray on the primer and i was good to go. if you want, you can though. it'll be a bit smoother, but it's not necessary.

The gauges were from ebay. they're probably the same thing as These (click)

the needles were stripped off from their original paint by paint thinner and painted transparent blue. unfortunately, it's still not bright enough and i dont want to get the blue needle kit (too afraid to bother with needles) so i'm going to get it LED converted when i have a lil more time. it looks kinda ugly with the stock bulbs behind tho. sorry. here's some pics.

in blue mode...
yo, where did you get the metal thing surrounding your gauges...gauge bezel i think it's called...
Old May 9th, 2003, 12:17 PM   #8
Your V12, My V-twin.

The gauge bezel you can pick up off ebay. be careful about this one though. there are good ones and bad ones. the one i have is okay. it's thicker than some i've seen, but still not one of the thickest. just run an ebay search for "98 accord gauge bezel" and it should be fine.

Old May 9th, 2003, 12:19 PM   #9
Your V12, My V-twin.

Quote:
Originally posted by gOtJuice_00 on May 9th, 2003 at 10:54 AM

man , that look nice. but i had a really bad experience with painting the interior. fisrt I start off just like you did, then it get pretty adicting, so I end up painted my door panals, and the whole interior, including the dashboard. Then later on it get really dirty( maybe it just me) now I repaint the whole interior back to black. and it look good. but hey it look good. But for me I really regred about painting my interior
yeah one of my friends' bf has cigarette burns all over his car and he painted his black. i thought about painting it black because i saw his looked okay but there was still something about it. if you clearcoat it with the right type of clearcoat, it shouldn't get dirty. this is automotive topcoat so it's similar to the coat you have outside your car. you can wax/wash it and it's decently resistant to scratches, etc. but ultimately it's still paint.

Old May 9th, 2003, 09:25 PM   #10

see i did that. It look clean, buttttttt did you know that can't see absolutely **** when the sun is on top of ya. well trust me. I been there done that. This is a promise I made to myself is never paint any dawn thing from my interior again. but hey good luck to youm your interior look cool though, but you'll see what i mean when you painted your dash.
Old May 9th, 2003, 11:52 PM   #11
Your V12, My V-twin.

really? i havent had a problem with it at all. the light reflective blue bothered me when the sun was out and the moonroof was open, but the gunmetal doesn't because it's not reflective enough. i'll take some pics tomorrow in the sun to show you guys if i remember.

you painted it silver didn't you?? ...the headunit's a different story. damn shiny metallic flap & the organic display behind it...

i know what you mean about that wanting to paint everything though. i'm starting to get that feelin, but i really dont want to paint over the stock wood grain.

Last edited by JonHsiung; May 9th, 2003 at 11:56 PM..
Old May 10th, 2003, 12:00 AM   #12
EX-Featured Ride Coord.

Send a message via AIM to DaBenz7898 Send a message via MSN to DaBenz7898
Quote:
Originally posted by JonHsiung on May 9th, 2003 at 02:17 PM

The gauge bezel you can pick up off ebay. be careful about this one though. there are good ones and bad ones. the one i have is okay. it's thicker than some i've seen, but still not one of the thickest. just run an ebay search for "98 accord gauge bezel" and it should be fine.
does the aftermarket guage bezel replace the clear plastic cover/stock bezel???? is there any way to seperate the plastic cover and stock bezel??

Pics, mods, and latest updates:

** Click

** Click

DaBenz7898 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 10th, 2003, 01:03 AM   #13
Your V12, My V-twin.

Quote:
Originally posted by DaBenz7898 on May 9th, 2003 at 11:00 PM

does the aftermarket guage bezel replace the clear plastic cover/stock bezel???? is there any way to seperate the plastic cover and stock bezel??
it just covers over the plastic. you can take it off with no damage anytime you want. you dont even have to unplug the gauge cluster to install them. sooper easy mod.

Old May 10th, 2003, 02:26 AM   #14
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

I wish I could have silver trim in my car but I have the retarded light grey interior. I wish it was a dark grey or black but no, light grey was the only color offered with Silver sedans. So the only trim that looks semi-decent in my car is black and wood trim. I'd like to replace the fake wood trim in with car with black but what a pain.
TH23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 10th, 2003, 02:47 AM   #15
Your V12, My V-twin.

I agree. Damn, Honda shoulda chose another color. I'd have a white coupe if it weren't for their beige interior.

...I'd also have a silver coupe, if they didn't run out of them at the dealership that day.
"do you want an LX v6?"
"no. i want the ex."
"can you wait about three weeks?"
"no. just gimme the black."
"fine. we'll throw in the spoiler and exhaust tips for free."
"deal."
Old May 10th, 2003, 05:38 AM   #16

yeah. i use to have my dashboard white, it look good for like a month, and then it get pretty bored. I can'e even see **** when the sun is up. now it is balck, and it is ok. There is a color for you to paint just interior, and it does no shine at all, but it really good. turst me you paint one thing, then you wanna paint another, next thing you know, your dawn interior be ruin like mine.
Old May 11th, 2003, 12:57 PM   #17

good job. sorry i didnt do a how to earlier, but the other board was real ****ed up and slow, and when i tried, i was turned off from continuing it. i shaved my shifter area. ill take a pic and show it soon.
Viper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 11th, 2003, 10:37 PM   #18

Im in the process of painting my interior right now, im doing everything white with yellow accents. its coming out pretty good so far, the only thing i really have left to do is painting the dash an door pannels, ill take some pics of it when im done an show you guys
Ninet7Accord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 11th, 2003, 11:41 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to SiLvAaCCoRdV6
hey JonHsiung,

i purchased the guage bezel for my car, but when i went to install it stupid me broke the clear plastic cover. How did you get it in there with out breaking the clear plastic cover....was there hidden screws or someting?

NO MOD LISTS ALLOWED IN SIGNATURES!

click on
in the bottom to check out my pics

SiLvAaCCoRdV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 12th, 2003, 12:18 AM   #20
Your V12, My V-twin.

the bottom is screwed on with the star-screws.

the top is superglued on in stock form. you just need to take a screwdriver or xacto knife and pry/cut the superglue off slowly. nothing to it, it's just easier if you take the entire gauges off in the first place. you gotta be careful with it.

i had my gauges overlay replaced first so when i put on the bezel i had no problems with it. it was just unscrew it and take it off without taking out the entire assembly.

Old May 12th, 2003, 10:37 AM   #21

coool thats how ill do it now
Viper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 12th, 2003, 11:32 AM   #22

Send a message via AIM to SiLvAaCCoRdV6
yea i tried using a screwdriver to pry it open..but i guess i got a little to impatient an accidently cracked it

hey jonhsuing...wat kind of exhaust/mufflers do you have? How much and how does it sound?

NO MOD LISTS ALLOWED IN SIGNATURES!

click on
in the bottom to check out my pics

Last edited by SiLvAaCCoRdV6; May 12th, 2003 at 11:39 AM..
SiLvAaCCoRdV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 12th, 2003, 11:45 AM   #23
Your V12, My V-twin.

ugh. sorry to hear about that chris.

Last edited by JonHsiung; May 12th, 2003 at 11:48 AM..
Old May 12th, 2003, 10:46 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally posted by JonHsiung on May 10th, 2003 at 01:52 AM

really? i havent had a problem with it at all. the light reflective blue bothered me when the sun was out and the moonroof was open, but the gunmetal doesn't because it's not reflective enough. i'll take some pics tomorrow in the sun to show you guys if i remember....
Any more pics? i realy want to do this aswell.. just not sure if i want a silverish color or more gunmetal...
Dave Morin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 12th, 2003, 11:28 PM   #25

Hey Guys i also know what its like to be obsessed with paint the interior but i am having problems, body shop painted some and then i found out that the dealer sold my car color in SPRAY PAINT so i been painted things i tried to paint thing around the guages like the guage cluster and it came out good in some spots and then in other spots its like it didnt wanna stick, and u know those LITTLE vents on the dash that point towards the side windows for the difrost or whatever well i was painting those and when i went to CLEAR COAT them it looks like it kinda changed color alittle what am i doing wrong? maybe my spray paint doesnt need clear coat since its a factory touch up spray paint? I would also like to paint the PILLERS front and BACK what r the tricks to painting those? or same thing just primer and spray? should it be sanded before or after primer? help me out guys thanx
Suhvas2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 12th, 2003, 11:48 PM   #26
Your V12, My V-twin.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Morin on May 12th, 2003 at 09:46 PM

Any more pics? i realy want to do this aswell.. just not sure if i want a silverish color or more gunmetal...
yeah sure, i almost forgot about that. here you go. i tried to take it in the sun with the most glare possible (started driving in circles with the windows/moonroof open to get the dash all full of glare)

it doesn't reflect much light at all. the HU & shift knob on the other hand...

Last edited by JonHsiung; May 12th, 2003 at 11:51 PM..
Old May 12th, 2003, 11:54 PM   #27
Your V12, My V-twin.

when it doesn't stick, it because you need to use primer and clean it well.

sometimes when the paint changes color due to the clearcoat, it's because it reacts with it. i only know of some paitns that do that, but some paints come with enamel and clearcoat over it.

the pillars should be primer and spray. you can sand if you want, but i tend not to. it also comes out with that vinyl texture with the color you spray it. if you want it smooth, then you'll have to sand it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Suhvas2001 on May 12th, 2003 at 10:28 PM

Hey Guys i also know what its like to be obsessed with paint the interior but i am having problems, body shop painted some and then i found out that the dealer sold my car color in SPRAY PAINT so i been painted things i tried to paint thing around the guages like the guage cluster and it came out good in some spots and then in other spots its like it didnt wanna stick, and u know those LITTLE vents on the dash that point towards the side windows for the difrost or whatever well i was painting those and when i went to CLEAR COAT them it looks like it kinda changed color alittle what am i doing wrong? maybe my spray paint doesnt need clear coat since its a factory touch up spray paint? I would also like to paint the PILLERS front and BACK what r the tricks to painting those? or same thing just primer and spray? should it be sanded before or after primer? help me out guys thanx

Old May 13th, 2003, 03:21 AM   #28
Honda Spy

Send a message via AIM to 112
creative thinking man. mad props.
112 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 13th, 2003, 06:56 AM   #29

what's the Gunmetal's paint code, or who is it made by? where di you get it from?
Dave Morin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 13th, 2003, 06:52 PM   #30
Your V12, My V-twin.

it's made by DupliColor in a 4oz spray can. it should be in the touchup paint section of your local auto store (autozone, kragen, pepboys, etc). it's just called gunmetal.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in