DIY: Modify parking/signal bulb - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD FAQ
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 14th, 2003, 12:48 PM   #1
EX-Featured Ride Coord.

Send a message via AIM to DaBenz7898 Send a message via MSN to DaBenz7898
DIY: Modify parking/signal bulb

Many of the veteran av6'ers know this already but a few people were asking so I decided to make this DIY:

No one really likes the light output when we replace our parking/signal bulbs with 'hyper white' bulbs. When you turn on the parking lights, it is very dim. However, when we turn on the signal, the output is nice and bright.

There are two ways to fix this:

1. The 'Bright Blinker Mod'......02accordSE did an excellent job explaining it
http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...parking+lights

2. Do the simple "I'm not good with electrical stuff" Blinker Mod

The "I'm not good with electrical stuff" Blinker Mod
This works for both v6 and i4 6th gen. Accords. It may even work for other generations/models with 1157 bulbs.

Instructions:
-Remove the parking/signal bulb from its socket.
-Take a small piece of electrical tape and cover one of the prongs on the bottom of the bulb.
-Put the bulb back in the socket (don't worry, it is supposed to be a little tighter)
-Turn parking light on.
-If bulb still turns on, take the bulb out again and cover the other prong.
-Repeat steps on other side.

Results:
When you turn the parking lights on, the parking/signal bulb will NOT turn on. The bulb will turn on only when you signal. That way at night the dim parking light will not take away from the 'hyper-white' headlights or HID's.

Extra:
If you have self-cleared or aftermarket headlights, you can replace the bottom bulb (ambers strip area) with a different color bulb. I used red bulbs down there. Now when I have my parking lights on, or even when i lock/unlock the car, my av6 has an evil look. You could use any other color to give it your own look.

DISCLAIMER: This 'extra' may not be legal in your town/city. Please check your local laws. V6performance.net and myself are not responsible for your actions.

Pics, mods, and latest updates:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

** Click

** Click

DaBenz7898 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 14th, 2003, 11:06 PM   #2

thanks man, that explains exactly what i want to do! ive heard everyone saying cover a prong, but i never understood.. now i get it! im doing it tomorrow! :-)
kkoch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 15th, 2003, 11:07 AM   #3
EX-Featured Ride Coord.

glad to have helped

** Click

** Click

Old November 15th, 2003, 11:53 PM   #4

did it. too noticably illegal.. =/

another question tho, howd you get the red inside the engine bay? ive seen the kits for like $60 but i would think itd be cheaper DIY... just wonderin.. and what paint did you use on the engine cover?
kkoch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 17th, 2003, 09:46 AM   #5
EX-Featured Ride Coord.

i used some brand of red hi-temp paint i bought from auto zone on the intake manifold. the plastic covers i used silver paint. i bought red hose covers from autozone to cover the wires and hoses. i also painted the generic strut bar i got from ebay to match my engine color scheme.

** Click

** Click

Old December 3rd, 2003, 10:57 PM   #6

hey, i did the #2 "I'm not good with electrical stuff" Blinker Mod & have a 7th gen accord.
I like the way it looks now but the front bulb no longer flashes when I lock/unlock the car (due the fact the covered prong was the one that flashed).
Just wondering if any other 7th gen owners have tried this mod & if there is a simple way to re-wire it to the other prong so it flashes when you lock/unlocking the car.
03 Accord EX-L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 4th, 2003, 06:12 AM   #7
EX-Featured Ride Coord.

do 7th gens. have another parking smaller/seperate parking bulb like 6th gen's amber strip?

** Click

** Click

Old December 5th, 2003, 11:17 PM   #8
V6 -> I4 -> I6

Send a message via AIM to HwaNi.J30A-C
Sticky material. Excellent tips DaBenz.

Is there easy way to have your front turn signals on bright as possible all the times and turn off whenever you turn signals?

so, when you turn on the parking lights/headlight, both strip light and turn signal is on[in brighter mode], and whenever you turn ur signals on, it turns off and on... etc.

thanks!
HwaNi.J30A-C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 6th, 2003, 09:43 AM   #9
EX-Featured Ride Coord.

Quote:
Originally posted by HwaNi.J30A-C on December 6th, 2003 at 01:17 AM

Sticky material. Excellent tips DaBenz.

Is there easy way to have your front turn signals on bright as possible all the times and turn off whenever you turn signals?

so, when you turn on the parking lights/headlight, both strip light and turn signal is on[in brighter mode], and whenever you turn ur signals on, it turns off and on... etc.

thanks!
yes there is.....The 'Bright Blinker Mod' by 02accordSE ......its easy if you're good with wiring/electrical stuff

** Click

** Click

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in