SRS light come on !!! - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD FAQ
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 22nd, 2003, 08:27 AM   #1

Unhappy SRS light come on !!!

hey my srs light come all the time now. Last time it did that I take it to the dealer, they change the whole ecu, and now it come again. does anyone know why. or how to make it go away forever.??

Last edited by gOtJuice_00; May 27th, 2003 at 10:38 PM..
gOtJuice_00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 22nd, 2003, 12:10 PM   #2

To reset the SRS light, here are the cliff notes -

1. bend a paper clip into a 'U' shape to create a loop
2. disconnect the yellow plug in your fuse box under the steering wheel and insert the paperclip into the plug that is now hanging there to complete the circuit
3. turn the ignition on and the SRS light will stay on for 6 seconds, then go off - disconnect the paperclip within 4 seconds after that and the light will come back on
4. reconnect the paperclip within 4 seconds and the SRS light will go off again
5. within another 4 seconds of it going off, disconnect the paperclip and the light will blink twice and it will be done

Got this from the old board. I did it and it work.
LaoSiFu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 23rd, 2003, 09:35 AM   #3

hey thank. I got to try it. but will this still effect my airbag. The guy that the dealer said if the srs light come on it disable all the air bag except the drive. hey Tim, what about the inetrior man.

Old May 23rd, 2003, 09:46 AM   #4

If you didn't cause the SRS light to come on then you need to get it checked out by the dealer. Don't just reset it.
99%StockAV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 24th, 2003, 08:50 AM   #5

The owners manual for my 5th Gen says that all you can do is take it to the dealer. The system is appearently too intricate for the do it yourselfer to mess with. As I recall the manual also says something like this, "If the SRS light comes on the air bags MAY or MAY NOT work in the event of a crash." MY SRS light has been on since Ive had the car, but it doesnt bother me none the least. The way I figure it, as I mod the car out, and replace the steering wheel Ill lose the drivers bag anyway. And heck the pass. side bag compartment would make a great place to hide electronics. hehehe
roosplash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 24th, 2003, 02:22 PM   #6
Old Member

Send a message via AIM to Du3ce
what causes the srs light to come on?
Du3ce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 24th, 2003, 02:32 PM   #7

if my warranty is up will the dealer still fix my srs light??
smokedoutv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 24th, 2003, 02:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by smokedoutv6 on May 24th, 2003 at 01:32 PM

if my warranty is up will the dealer still fix my srs light??
maybe, I know I couldn't do it. They were charing me alot just to look at it alone. so I said hell I reset it myself.
Old May 27th, 2003, 11:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally posted by SiFuLao on May 22nd, 2003 at 07:10 PM

To reset the SRS light, here are the cliff notes -

1. bend a paper clip into a 'U' shape to create a loop
2. disconnect the yellow plug in your fuse box under the steering wheel and insert the paperclip into the plug that is now hanging there to complete the circuit
3. turn the ignition on and the SRS light will stay on for 6 seconds, then go off - disconnect the paperclip within 4 seconds after that and the light will come back on
4. reconnect the paperclip within 4 seconds and the SRS light will go off again
5. within another 4 seconds of it going off, disconnect the paperclip and the light will blink twice and it will be done

Got this from the old board. I did it and it work.
that didn't do a thing. what gen is this? I have a 5th. I took the panal off below the steering wheel. unscrewed that metal thing and took the yellow plug and unplugged it and tried the above on each side twice. no blinking, no nothing. I want help too
straitsb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 27th, 2003, 01:25 PM   #10

that information came off a RSX guy but I did the same thing as he said. And it worked for me. I'm not sure bout the 5th gen. ohhh I had 6th gen.
Old May 27th, 2003, 09:57 PM   #11

****. a lot of people have the same problems, and the dealer want to charge me 80 dollar just to find out the problem, Why don't we get together and files a complain to them and make them call back on the model that does happen to. like my coworker she had the same car , and it only 7000 miles, and this is the second time it happen to her. we both are gonna come up there and complain? One of my customer , she work for honda, she said we can do this online.( complain) give me some ideas poeple.
Old June 12th, 2003, 05:58 AM   #12

Woot It worked thanx alot AV6.com, My light comes on everytime i drive crazy and drift in the parking lot....thats my driving habits, they charged me 65 the first time my mom went to check it out but it was all b/s and all they did was reset it.

How do i know they reset it b/c it was 12500 m i had it come on and i got 25000 and a lil over and it came on again, so does that maintenance light.

i'll jsut reset it and if the airbags don't work sue someone lol
AccordiO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 12th, 2003, 06:00 AM   #13

nothings wrong with the airbags its just the computer acting up they still work as long as the light is off
AccordiO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 12th, 2003, 05:55 PM   #14

man i gotta try that tomorrow. **** dealer rip off ****.
Old June 12th, 2003, 06:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally posted by VtekCommander on June 12th, 2003 at 08:00 AM

nothings wrong with the airbags its just the computer acting up they still work as long as the light is off
Yeah only if the light stays off. But if it keeps coming back then it needs to be checked out.

Can the airbag just deploy if the SRS light is on?

Plumaccordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 12th, 2003, 06:14 PM   #16

hahaha that will be funny when it pop out of no where n hit you on the face then cause the accident. j/k man . I dout it, if that happen I'll sue honda and never gonnna by another honda again.
Old June 12th, 2003, 07:51 PM   #17

wheres that DIY that i posted about this? i had pix and everything
Viper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 18th, 2003, 09:30 AM   #18

i just got my system installed and now my srs light is on all the time. if i take it to the dealer will they not fix it if they see that i had a system installed and that may of caused the problem??
Bigds2002V6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 18th, 2003, 09:54 PM   #19

same thing happened to me after installing my system, I used the directions posted here about the paperclip and they work, very easy to do. Hardest part is locating the right wire to hook up the paper clip to. But those directions indeed work and now my SRS light is off.

Here's a pic of the installation process and where to locate the right wire.
Attached Thumbnails
SRS light come on !!!-untitled.jpg  
ricepilof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 1st, 2004, 12:04 AM   #20

well just a bit of info, for those who still want to take it to the dealer and are still under warranty, tell them that it went on by itself and you have no idea what caused it, and they will reset it for free. If they find out you messed with it, then they wont cover ****. But if you play dumb, you're covered. I did that 2 times to the dealer already when i set off my srs light on my own. It worked
imfillinit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 1st, 2004, 10:39 AM   #21
V6P Lover

Send a message via AIM to v62kaccord
Quote:
Originally posted by Du3ce
what causes the srs light to come on?
for me, it was my tv tuner, when i put my tv tuner on the passenger side the srs light would come on.. i guess there is some sort of sensor there and it's interferring(sp?) with it..
v62kaccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 1st, 2004, 12:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally posted by v62kaccord
for me, it was my tv tuner, when i put my tv tuner on the passenger side the srs light would come on.. i guess there is some sort of sensor there and it's interferring(sp?) with it..
if you have side airbags and removed the seat, and started the car or turned it on with the seat still disconnected, then that is why the SRS light came on because it couldnt recognize the side airbag since it wasnt plug into the car. but other than that...i dunno wassup with that SRS light
imfillinit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 6th, 2004, 10:22 AM   #23

could also be a faulty passenger side seat sensor...if you have a heavy bookbag or the like on the passenger seat, it could set off
the sensor and cause the srs light to come on...kind of goes with
taking the seat out was aforementioned...basically the sensors are to prevent the airbag from going off if it detects a baby seat or a passenger sitting in a weird position where the airbag would do more damage than prevent.
bbc5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 7th, 2004, 04:23 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally posted by bbc5 on March 6th, 2004 at 05:22 PM

could also be a faulty passenger side seat sensor...if you have a heavy bookbag or the like on the passenger seat, it could set off
the sensor and cause the srs light to come on...kind of goes with
taking the seat out was aforementioned...basically the sensors are to prevent the airbag from going off if it detects a baby seat or a passenger sitting in a weird position where the airbag would do more damage than prevent.
they are very very touchy. It can be something as simple as a phone laying on the passengers seat or anything else that emits EMI. I had a cheap power inverter with zero shielding that would trigger the light every single time I turned it on. I got a better comvertor and no troubles. Yesterday I was going through a junk box in the garage and found a neon tube with a lighter plug on the end, the instant I plugged it in the SRS light came on. Didn't think it would be the neon so I reset the light and plugged the thing in again, sure enough it came on again.

To make it short it doesn't have to be a malfunction on the car's behalf to cause the SRS light to come on.
illusion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 11th, 2004, 09:20 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally posted by straitsb
that didn't do a thing. what gen is this? I have a 5th. I took the panal off below the steering wheel. unscrewed that metal thing and took the yellow plug and unplugged it and tried the above on each side twice. no blinking, no nothing. I want help too
Worked on my 6 gen.....
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 14th, 2004, 04:42 PM   #26
HOOK 'EM

Send a message via AIM to blackdragon
so when you do this process of resetting, is it actually resetting the system, meaning that it will now work if you get into a wreck or is it just shorting the system out and shutting it off?

Mark
blackdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 14th, 2004, 10:05 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally posted by blackdragon
so when you do this process of resetting, is it actually resetting the system, meaning that it will now work if you get into a wreck or is it just shorting the system out and shutting it off?

Mark
I honestly don't know, but that's a VERY good question. I'm leaning more towards the side of still functioning correctly, but I could be wrong....
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 15th, 2004, 04:52 AM   #28
HOOK 'EM

Send a message via AIM to blackdragon
I just did it on my car, and it worked great. I love this thread

I think this should be made into a sticky!
blackdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 26th, 2004, 11:46 PM   #29
Q

bump

unplugging the negative on the battery will not make the SRS come on right when messing lets say i.e. with the gauge or steering wheel? because i did it a couple of times b4 and it never came up.

the best bet is to unplug the battery first but thats imo.
accord6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 5th, 2004, 03:47 PM   #30

Will this work if racing seats caused the problem.
platinum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in