DIY: Installing Mugen Side Skirts on Coupe - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD FAQ
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 28th, 2004, 03:38 PM   #1

DIY: Installing Mugen Side Skirts on Coupe

Ok so I posted a couple weeks back asking for help on how to do this install...didn't get much help...and was told to seek a professional. But I decided to do it myself. I didn't take any pics of the cutting and gluing part, but I just measured and cut with dremel then used Duramax 40/40 Plastic Repair glue the pieces back together. Then I had a shop sand/primer/paint the skirts. This DIY is only for the final install only.

Things/Tools Needed:
A friend to help =)
Dremel (Sears?)
6-8 Self tapping screws (Home Depot)
3M Heavy Duty double side mounting tape...optional...I didnt find it very useful (Home Depot)
Jack
Your ordinary tools...hammer, screwdriver..etc

Step 1: Taking off the Stock sides
Jack up the entire side (front and back) and take off both wheels.
There are 2 screws in the front fender well, unscrew them. Then along the bottom on the skirts are 4 plastic screws/clip, take those out. The side skirts SLIDE forward to come lose, so DONT PULL. What I did was, I got a hammer and started hammering at the back part of the side skirt. A couple hits and it comes off. Remember to place a piece of cardboard in between the hammer and the side skirt, before you start hammering away.

Front two screws:

Bottom Clips:

Hammer Time =):

Step 2: Cutting the stock side skirt
Since the mugen sides have a vent in the back, it doesnt push all the way in, when going over the side skirt; therefore, you need to cut a slot in the stock side skirt. Measure and cut with a dremel.

Slot:

Step 3: Cutting of the Mugen skirts
The top part of the mugen skirt go into deep...its like a 16 inch portion above the vent, so you have to cut it down. Maybe the picture will explain better.

Step 4: Put the stock side skirt back on
Well, since you hammered the back part the slide it off....now its time to hammer the front part to slide it back in.

Step 5: Putting on the Mugen sides
Put some double sided tape on the door sill part of the stock side skirt....especially in the inner corner (where the door hinges are). Now carefully push the mugen sides in, over the stock sides; its good to have someone help you...one person for the front part and one for the back.

Step 6: Screwing it in
I recommend using two self tapping screws for the front end, and then 2 for the back end.

Finish product:

Last edited by Accord_5spd; April 29th, 2004 at 12:03 AM..
Accord_5spd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 28th, 2004, 06:29 PM   #2

when i put mines on i didnt need to cut my factory sides just over lay dosnt even stick out
Blazin036 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 28th, 2004, 11:38 PM   #3
V6 -> I4 -> I6

Send a message via AIM to HwaNi.J30A-C
Definitely need those pictures back up. If you can't host it back up, i"ll host them for you. I got some mugen sides laying in my house right now to be installed.

And this is greatly appreciated.

BTW, Which is true? Cutting the stocks? or just put 'em over like blazing sidE?
Me too, in not favor of cutting stock skirts because when I sell my car later on, it'll look like crap.

Let me know. Thanks everyone.
HwaNi.J30A-C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old April 29th, 2004, 12:04 AM   #4

i just switch the pics over to webshots community...if that still doesnt work then i dunno...try C&P the link into the address bar?
Accord_5spd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 29th, 2004, 05:34 AM   #5

i woulnt cut the stocks its really not gonna vent out our rear brakes plus i think the body blocks it anyways
Blazin036 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 29th, 2004, 12:29 PM   #6
V6 -> I4 -> I6

Send a message via AIM to HwaNi.J30A-C
Quote:
Originally posted by Blazin036 on April 29th, 2004 at 04:34 AM

i woulnt cut the stocks its really not gonna vent out our rear brakes plus i think the body blocks it anyways
Then won't mugen sides stick out like accord5spd said? because of the vent?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Previous: 02 Honda Accord V6 / Few mods. RIP.
HwaNi.J30A-C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 2nd, 2005, 08:38 PM   #7

back from the dead? Can you repost the pictures? It would be a great help. Thanks
green2dr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 11th, 2006, 01:07 PM   #8
I WANT A V6 DAMNIT!!!!!

and all this time i thought you would remove the stock SS! and all you do is a bit og cutting and lay and the new SS over the stock ones! do the mugen SS hang a bit lower then the stock ones????
xxjustimajinxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in