DIY - Install Component speakers (front speakers or rear speakers) - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD FAQ
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 4th, 2005, 06:25 AM   #1

DIY - Install Component speakers (front speakers or rear speakers)

This is for a 99 AV6 EX Coupe but probably will work for most all 6th Gen's. This only covers the wiring process for installation.

For pictures on how to actually install the speakers into the fronts, i used the link posted in this forum for DIY front speakers @ Autotoys ( here ). For the rears, no pictures are really necessary-- you can just unscrew the screws holding the cover in (there should be 3-4 each) and then unscrew the speakers themselves.

You can purchase a speaker harness (as mentioned in that url) for about 6 bucks (for 2). I recommend getting 4 if you want to replace all your speakers. That will allow you to just plug things in and not have to worry about soldering or cutting wires.

However that guide didn't really cut it... mine were component speakers, so the wiring for the speaker is more involved than just messing with the doors because you cant just hook it up to the door with the plug adapter and be done. After all, what about that extra tweeter that'll be sitting in the corner of your dashboard? I thought I'd post this to save people some time thinking about how to wire it.

In order to do this, I purchased a harness with a female harness plug on one side that snaps onto the factory plug for the stock deck on one side, and has correctly colored wires on the other. I bought it for approx 20 bucks at a best buy...tho you can find cheaper online.

If you would like to keep a stock factory unit, you will also need to buy a wiring harness that plugs into your deck now, since you pulled it out and stuck that female plug on the prior connection. For me, since I had an aftermarket deck, I had one from my aftermarket manufacturer.

So here's the setup.. you have

deck--[plug----wires] [wires----plug]----factoryplug

So why are we doing all this to get the wires disconnected but facing each other like that? Because this is the easiest way (i think) of connecting things without having to worry about running a wire out into the door.

For my 99 av6 coupe:
Left Front (+) Blue/Green
Left Front (-) Gray/Black
Right Front (+) Red/Green
Right Front (-) Brown/Black
Left Rear (+) Blue/Yellow
Left Rear (-) Gray/White
Right Rear (+) Red/Yellow
Right Rear (-) Brown/White

(note that my rear speakers are 6x9's...the handbooks says some models have 6.5's in the rear, so I dont know if the rears are the same colors for the 6.5's but they should be)

so now, what you want to do is to connect the appropriate wires coming from your DECK to the input for the CROSSOVER of the component speakers. So if you were connecting the left front speakers, then you'd take the blue/green and stick it on the positive of the input connector on the crossover, and you'd take the gray/black wire coming out from the deck and stick it in the negative for the input on the crossover. Then you wire the woofer(mids) output from the CROSSOVER following the same scheme to the FACTORY plug wires. Then you can manually run a wire for the tweeters wherever you want to stick it.

For the rest of the wires if you happen to not have an entirely component-speaker setup, just matched up the colors and twisted the ends together for the rest of the wires that were facing each other (and protect it with some strips of electrical tape). Soldering it may be a good idea, but I got lazy

Hope this helps XD
dtran01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in