DIY: Taillight Removal & Smoking Taillights - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD FAQ
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 22nd, 2003, 04:43 AM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to azn010 Send a message via AIM to azn010
DIY: Taillight Removal & Smoking Taillights

So you want to take out your taillight huh? With these pics I'll show you what needs to be removed. And if you want to smoke your taillights also, i'll show you how I did that too.
What you'll need is i think it was a 10mm socket to remove everything.

Open the trunk and look on the inside. Inside on the trunk cover, you'll see something like this except I forgot to take a picture with the pad and cover on damnit

In this picture, the first arrow on the bottom left is where there will be a circular kinda cap thing that goes there. To pop that off it jus takes stickin ur finger in the hole above and pushing it off. The other arrow points to where the screw would be for the pad that would be covering these other screws. So after you have this pad off, the picture labels the 3 screws that need to be taken off. There should be two of these kinds of pads on each side of the trunk lid.

This picture shows the 2 screws that will need to be removed from both sides of the trunk lid. There will be 2 of these on each side of the lid. Now this should be all the screws that you need to remove to take off the middle piece of the taillights.

To take off the two side taillights, you want to start by taking some pieces of the inside of the trunk off so you can get to places easier.

First, you want to remove this middle piece by unscrewing the circled screws below.

After unscrewing them, you'll be able to take this piece out by lifting up the carpet alittle and pulling it out.

This is the right side of the inside of the trunk where your jack and other tools should be located. You prob want to unscrew the hanger thing on the arrow on the leff top side. Then you twist off those black thingies that are circled. You want to remove your jack and the little box below that the arrow points to. To remove the jack, simply turn the screw thing on the jack one way and it will come out. To take the box of tools out, you want to lift up the carpet and you'll be able to take that box out.

This is what the left inside part of your trunk probably looks like. Again take off those black things by unscrewing them and then pop off the two things the arrow points to by using a flathead. Now you can remove that piece that is holding my cargo net and this little holding thing. To get that holding thing out you'll have to lift up the carpet again and pull it out.

So now that you've gotten the back of the taillights exposed, this is what the right side looks like.

The circle are screws that need to be removed and the arrow points to a little piece that can be removed by pressing the sides in and pushing it out. On the bottom left circle, it has a brown thing that is over the screw that you must remove by pulling on it. After pulling this out, you'll see the last screw is revealed. I will not post a pic of the left backside of the taillight because it is similar except that it doesnt have that brown thing covering the screw.

hmm..i should put this before, but remember to pull out the things connected before you try to yank out the taillights. But i think thats kinda self explanatory?

So thats it for removing the taillight. Read on for how I smoked my taillight.
Nigglypuff likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
azn010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 22nd, 2003, 04:45 AM   #2

For paints, i used this RC car tint that was meant for lexan bodies of RC cars. I couldnt find any testors paint so i went with this and hopefully it wont chip off later on

edit: do NOT use spray paint for lexan bodies. the paint started fading after awhile. try to find some testors or another company that makes smoked spray paint for plastics.

a good clear coat will usually help the paint fade slower too.

I used some of the candy apple metal flake clear coat that i had left over from my engine covers, but i dont think it was a good idea cuz it kinda messed it up. To clean off the stuff that was on the taillight, i jus used a degreaser that i bought before to clean my brakes. I didnt want to sand down my taillights because i wanted them to be useful in case I wanted to remove the tint after =)

This is a picture of the taillights set out on newspaper where i tried to make the taillights sit up pretty flat so that the spraypaint wouldnt run. (even though it shouldnt cuz im painting light coats right? )

After one coat..

After two coats and clear coat...

Painting between coats had a wait time of course. So heres the finished product on my car..it really looks better in person i think this is jus a bad pic..

so i think tahts it? did i forget nething? jus post questions here and comments

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by azn010; December 15th, 2005 at 12:40 PM..
Old June 22nd, 2003, 04:46 AM   #3

oh and btw mods..i think you should make it so that when people try to post something too long..that when they hit back..they can still get what they wrote back again i thought i lost everything cuz it said it was too long..but then luckily i was paranoid of this and copied everything before i hit submit

Old June 22nd, 2003, 05:09 AM   #4
thread killer

Send a message via AIM to vtecricebox
looks good

what if something like dust get on it while it is drying? how do you get it off? remove the paint and start over?

and how's the output of brake lights afterwards? still visible during the daytime?

sorry for all the questions, was about to do this too
vtecricebox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 22nd, 2003, 09:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally posted by vtecricebox on June 22nd, 2003 at 04:09 AM

looks good

what if something like dust get on it while it is drying? how do you get it off? remove the paint and start over?

and how's the output of brake lights afterwards? still visible during the daytime?

sorry for all the questions, was about to do this too
for dust...i got some on mine i think you should jus find a place that is pretty clean and a non-windy day i guess where things wont be flying around..

the output of the brake light during the day is very visable. you can really tell when the brakes are hit. and during the nighttime..you shouldnt have a problem with visability at all

Old June 22nd, 2003, 09:19 AM   #6

how do u remove the tint when you wanna go back to stock? Thanks
snoopdogg86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 22nd, 2003, 09:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally posted by snoopdogg86 on June 22nd, 2003 at 08:19 AM

how do u remove the tint when you wanna go back to stock? Thanks
you can prob use acetone or some other kind of paint remover..
john hsiung said you can use nail polish remover, MEK, TR-3, or acetone

Old June 22nd, 2003, 01:12 PM   #8
QUICK!!! someone Beer me!

Send a message via AIM to frryy
Quote:
Originally posted by azn010 on June 22nd, 2003 at 03:45 AM

hot damn! Why do black cars get the best shine?!?!?
i got shine-envy......

Nice job on the tint man!
I personally woulda stopped after the 1st coat, but thats just my style. It still looks good tho.

frryy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 22nd, 2003, 03:13 PM   #9
Senior Moderhater

Send a message via AIM to abram2001
dagggg, thats a really nice job you did. It came out really sweet.
abram2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 23rd, 2003, 12:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally posted by frryy on June 22nd, 2003 at 12:12 PM

hot damn! Why do black cars get the best shine?!?!?
i got shine-envy......

Nice job on the tint man!
I personally woulda stopped after the 1st coat, but thats just my style. It still looks good tho.
ahah thanks..but you havta remember..blacks get the most noticeable swirlys too

as for the tint..i kinda liked how the first coat looked too..but then i wanted alittle darker..maybe its too dark now i kinda wanted something maybe alittle in between the first and second coat

Old June 23rd, 2003, 12:13 AM   #11
jinsoku.com

Send a message via AIM to vTecaznracer
nice job eric...nice rims too...=D
vTecaznracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 23rd, 2003, 12:31 AM   #12

how do you think this will look on a silver car?

Old June 23rd, 2003, 12:56 AM   #13
jinsoku.com

Send a message via AIM to vTecaznracer
Quote:
Originally posted by frryy on June 22nd, 2003 at 11:31 PM

im wondering the same thing...

v6momoney's silver coupe has blacked out tail lights...

try PMing him for pics...

vTecaznracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 23rd, 2003, 01:25 AM   #14

so wait, you just sprayed directly on the surface of the lights? was it hard to get a thin even layer on?
Old June 23rd, 2003, 04:09 AM   #15
___

Hey, that looks really nice

I am probably going to do this soon too. My friend got a can of spray for his 92 accord taillights for about $30.

How much did you spend for yours? And did you need both cans?

Also, when(if) you wanna take that stuff off, it should come off perfectly with no damage to the taillights?
borinka99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 23rd, 2003, 04:38 AM   #16
___

Also, can we get pulled over for this? Since I'm guessing the reflectors don't work anymore, do they?
Old June 23rd, 2003, 05:12 AM   #17
thread killer

Send a message via AIM to vtecricebox
Quote:
Originally posted by borinka99 on June 23rd, 2003 at 03:38 AM

Also, can we get pulled over for this? Since I'm guessing the reflectors don't work anymore, do they?
the reflectors seem to work in the pics...
vtecricebox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 23rd, 2003, 01:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally posted by frryy on June 23rd, 2003 at 12:25 AM

so wait, you just sprayed directly on the surface of the lights? was it hard to get a thin even layer on?
yea..i didnt wana sand them..so i jus sprayed direclty on it..getting thin even layers didnt seem too hard. i tried to make it easier by making the taillights lay flat by setting them on things

Old June 23rd, 2003, 01:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally posted by borinka99 on June 23rd, 2003 at 03:09 AM

Hey, that looks really nice

I am probably going to do this soon too. My friend got a can of spray for his 92 accord taillights for about $30.

How much did you spend for yours? And did you need both cans?

Also, when(if) you wanna take that stuff off, it should come off perfectly with no damage to the taillights?
i bought 3 cans..and i only really used like 1..cuz i kinda wasted some of the first one on other things haha..but i think you should prob get 2 to be safe..

i think if you take off the stuff..it shoudlnt damage the taillights because its jus a paint remover and i dont think it'll damage the plastic..but thats jus what i think..i'll need to ask someone who knows more about that kinda stuff..

the reflectors im not sure about...because i never see my car from the outside while driving..but in the pictures, the flash seems to make the reflectors show up..so im not sure..but during the day, i dont think that reflectors will show up..maybe when the sun hits it..not sure.

Old June 23rd, 2003, 01:30 PM   #20

i saw v6momoneys smoked tailights and i think they looked nice on his silver car..but his was alot lighter..and i think that maybe one coat would be good enough for silver cars.

heres another pic w/them on my car

Old June 23rd, 2003, 03:18 PM   #21
___

how much did each can cost?
Old June 23rd, 2003, 05:45 PM   #22

Do you have reverse lights?
sedakill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 23rd, 2003, 07:01 PM   #23

i would like to see a day and night picture of the lights on ... and a picture of day and night ... when pressing the brake pedal
Usul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 24th, 2003, 02:02 AM   #24

borinka99: i thikn the cans were like about 5 dollars each?

sedakill: yah i have reverse lights..i jus smoked them too

usul: i was thinkin about doing those pics too..i'll get them posted up later when i can have someone press the brake for me

Old June 24th, 2003, 02:06 AM   #25
erratic.

Send a message via AIM to Celica01 Send a message via Yahoo to Celica01
for once you did your **** at your own house and didnt get paint all over my backyard floor or silicone on my towels and fork
Celica01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 24th, 2003, 02:18 AM   #26
___

Quote:
Originally posted by azn010 on June 24th, 2003 at 01:02 AM

borinka99: i thikn the cans were like about 5 dollars each?
Wow, that's cheap, my friend said he paid $30 for a bottle when he did his.

Can you tell me what it is called exactly and what store did you get it from? Would a pep boys or something have this?

So, I don't really need the flake, right? Just a couple cans of the black and I'm set (nothing else?)

Sorry for the 1000 questions lol

Old June 24th, 2003, 02:34 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally posted by borinka99 on June 24th, 2003 at 01:18 AM

Wow, that's cheap, my friend said he paid $30 for a bottle when he did his.

Can you tell me what it is called exactly and what store did you get it from? Would a pep boys or something have this?

So, I don't really need the flake, right? Just a couple cans of the black and I'm set (nothing else?)

Sorry for the 1000 questions lol

haha no problem..i got it from a hobby shop called hobbytown USA..you can probably get it from most hobbyshops that have paints for like RC cars..jus call em up and ask if they have window tint spray. you dont need the flake..but maybe some kinda clear coat that will work good with the paint..cuz i heard from someoen it might fade from washing if you dont clear coat it..but im not sure..maybe you can try i think you should only need one can..but jus get 2 to be sure so pretty much if you dont want to clear coat or sand down your taillights you can jus buy the paint..and make sure the taillights are clean before you paint them..n jus spray away

good luck with your taillights and post some pics up later!

Old June 24th, 2003, 03:06 AM   #28
___

Thanks for all the help azn
Old June 24th, 2003, 03:11 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally posted by borinka99 on June 24th, 2003 at 02:06 AM

Thanks for all the help azn
no problem

Old June 24th, 2003, 11:50 PM   #30
V6P wandering idiot

Send a message via AIM to chrisnick Send a message via Skype™ to chrisnick
Quote:
Originally posted by frryy on June 23rd, 2003 at 02:31 AM

i hear a photoshop coming on....

'97 Accord LX Coupe 5MT autocross and DD beater
chrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in