Caliper Maintenance - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD FAQ
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 7th, 2005, 07:18 AM   #1

Caliper Maintenance

I have been searching without luck on a sticky or DIY for caliper maintence. If anyone know where one is located, please reply with a link. Otherwise, I will attempt to post the information, with pictures, once I figure out what I am doing.

I replaced by front brake pads last night and to my dismay, the lower slider on both calipers was seized. I am going to take the brakes apart again, but this time I am going to attempt a full caliper maintenance; I don't want to miss anything.
AngryAccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 7th, 2005, 08:38 AM   #2
import tuner and rn

i think once they seize , u have to get new ones , not 100% sure
eolife22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 7th, 2005, 08:47 AM   #3

They Honda "parts guy" says that he has never ordered any, they just service them. I have the maintence manual at home, but first hand experience is always better.

Old July 7th, 2005, 09:28 AM   #4
Drop Dead Gorgeous

Send a message via AIM to Aztro
I guess a way you can save your caliper is by not using E-brake for no reason. I have an automatic (duh!) and when I put it in park, I used to use E-Brake as well. But after a while, I started to hear my brakes make this weird "ch ch" sound and I thought nothing of it. Then one day I drove around and stopped at a red light and asked, "WTF is that smell?" It was my rear driver side brake smoking so I went to my car shop and asked what was wrong. The caliper was locked and so the wheel did not move freely anymore. I had to change to a new caliper after that and so I learned my lesson. Unless you have a manual, don't use the E-Brake for parking... and automatics should only use it if they are parked at a crazy slope or whatever.
Aztro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 7th, 2005, 09:42 AM   #5

I had to have my rear calipers replaced as well, but I think I ruined them by drifting ... only because that is the only radical thing I did the day before they started to go bad. Perhaps the fronts are easier to fix, or I really messed up the rear ones? I have no idea. I'll let everyone know how I fix them, and what I used.
Old July 7th, 2005, 10:36 AM   #6

Which part is seized up, is it #12?
If itís #12 then you would need to pull it out of mounting bracket and remove all dirt and rust from pin and hole in mounting bracket. Once they thoroughly cleaned you would need to lubricate them with high temperature grease. Donít use too much of grease or pin will be popping out. Then, you most likely need to replace dust boot.
HONDA_99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 7th, 2005, 11:40 AM   #7

Yes, it is part 12, and thanks for the info. Should I also lubricate any other parts while I have the caliper up? Like part 9 perhaps?
Old July 7th, 2005, 11:53 AM   #8

you could do same thing to item #17 (other pin). item #9 (piston) doesn't really require maintenance, but you could spray WD-40 on groove to remove any loose particles. while you there check if there any rust on piston it self (not a groove).
HONDA_99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 24th, 2005, 11:20 PM   #9
Shes like the wind

Send a message via AIM to xi0utlawstarix
found out by dealer that both my rear calipers are seized.

1. where can i get the caliper for a good price?? or should i just go through autozone, pepboys, etc.

2. should i just get the bare caliper, not the loaded one because i already have brembo blank and oem pad. what about semi-loaded?
xi0utlawstarix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 24th, 2005, 11:35 PM   #10

all calipers are made OEM, companies just take the caliper and service it(change the parts and re-lube it) and then label it with their name.

loaded calipers come with the hardware kit and brake pads(cheap sometimes). Semi-loaded comes only with the hardware kit. You will need the hardware kit.
sonnieeeeboi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 24th, 2005, 11:56 PM   #11
Shes like the wind

Send a message via AIM to xi0utlawstarix
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnieeeeboi
all calipers are made OEM, companies just take the caliper and service it(change the parts and re-lube it) and then label it with their name.

loaded calipers come with the hardware kit and brake pads(cheap sometimes). Semi-loaded comes only with the hardware kit. You will need the hardware kit.
thanks,
so from this site, i would get the one with part #192068 (caliper with installation hardware). there are so many other choices

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...&categorycode=
xi0utlawstarix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 25th, 2005, 12:07 AM   #12

well i just looked at the site. You can get the unloaded one since you can re-use the old hardware. It's totally up to you. Any of them is good. Just don't get the loaded one in your case. They will charge you core, so they would need your old ones back.
sonnieeeeboi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in