Performance Pulley Overview - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD FAQ
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 3rd, 2003, 05:53 PM   #1

Performance Pulley Overview

Hello All.

I decided to make a sticky regarding an "overview" of performance pulleys for the V6 Accord. Frequently, we talk about what the advantages/disadvantages of pulleys are, so let me get a little more in detail here. Again this information is simply an overview, and especially beneficial to our newest members, Welcome!

Purpose:

Pulleys as a performance mod are typically pulleys either of smaller diameter, lightened, or a combo of the two. What makes pulleys so attractive as one mod to definitely get, is the immediate gains felt throughout the RPM range compared to other mods such as headers, intakes, or exhausts. By simply altering the size and weight will show "felt" results vs. what you can hear.

Manufacturers of Performance Pulleys available at this time for the AV6:

Unorthodox Racing, AEM, (and possibly in the future) RVM Performance make a few sets of pulleys for our car, in addition to many other cars now available. All these manufacturers use the same technique discussed below, the combo lightening and smaller diameter pulleys. Many people are augmentative about what pulleys are better/worse, but all have the same similar results.

Newest Pulleys on the Horizon:

UR has taken the steps to develop a set of Supercharger pulleys for the V6 Accord. This will surely enhance the maximum performance of the Supercharger, thereby increasing boost considerably over the 6psi (with the High Boost Pulley from Comptech). This is great news on one end of the spectrum, and bad on the other since the accord can only run 4.5 PSI safely without possibly damaging the Automatic Transmission. Luckily, V6Performance.com is on the cutting edge of enhancement, and has been perusing a solution to this problem for some time. Hopefully in the future we can overcome this obstacle, which I am confident we will.

Keep in mind also for all those soon-to-be Supercharger owners, that these pulleys (with the exception of the power steering pulley) cannot be used. Because the crank pulley is of smaller diameter, this pulley will actually UNDERDRIVE the supercharger, thereby killing power instead of making it. If you are set of getting another pulley if you are getting the Supercharger, get the High Boost Pulley (available from Comptech directly) and the Power Steering pulley from either UR or AEM.

Installation:

A professional should do pulley installation if you are unfamiliar with how itís done. Since pulleys are VERY sensitive, meaning they should be considered fragile hardware, this might be a simple DYI job. Also consider that accessing the pulleys is going to be an issue, so a professional shop is recommended.

Pulley Types, Simple as 1,2,3:

1. Alternator Pulley :The alternator pulley is simply lightened and smaller diameter in some applications. No major gains are seen here, typically 2-4HP in our cars.

2. Power Steering Pulley: Again, same as above, no major gains, but serve the same principal of lighter or smaller diameter for max gains. Gains are 2-4 HP.

3. Crank Pulley: Ok hereís the "meat" of your gains, somewhere in the range of 12-15+ HP from this small little pulley. The smaller diameter allows for more engine revolutions thereby increasing HP dramatically.

Pulley Downfalls:

1. The pulleys sound all the more attractive, but have one potential flaw. The alternator pulley made by all 3 manufacturers has the potential to drain the stock alternator, and eventually kill the battery. The other 2 pulleys, the power steering, and crank pulley are relatively safe to normal everyday use.

FYI: Some members have purchased an Alterstart alternator (www.alterstart.com) and a better battery to offset this problem.

2. Pulleys are not some simple "magic" solution to making more power. If the pulleys are not made to exact specifications, the pulley may actually cause more damage than good. Think about it this way, if your bicycle tire is severely bent, is it difficult to ride? Eventually that bicycle tire is going to cause the surrounding brackets to loosen, thereby eventually causing the bike to not work. Same thing with pulleys. To the naked eye, you may not see a bend, but your engine will. Eventually that smaller bend will wear down to bearings in your engine, and cause your engine to have some major problems, even fail.

Pricing and where to find them:

Retail pulleys range (roughly) from $285-315. shipped for all three pulleys. To find these pulleys, I recommend either checking the Personal for Sale section of the forums, or searching the Internet for the cheapest price. Typically, www.groupbuycenter.com or other similar sites compete for low prices with other retailers, advantage, YOU.

If anyone has any questions or would like to add anything to this thread, please feel free to. The more we learn from each other the better.

BigVic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 3rd, 2003, 05:57 PM   #2
Premium User

That actually made the most sense out of everything else I've read.

Thanks Vic!

It is beneath me.
Denali is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 3rd, 2003, 11:45 PM   #3

finaly good very good clear info thanks Vic
Blazin036 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old July 4th, 2003, 03:53 PM   #4

Cool nice Vic..so is there any way that i can install only the power and the crank pullies only?? and leave the alternator pullie as it is now?? is it possible?? sorry if it is a stupid question...(im so stupid with this kind of stuff). or is it all three that kills the alternator?? plz help....i got my pullie sitting here for like a month now... plz help me out Vic..~!! thx
AccorDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 4th, 2003, 03:58 PM   #5
< DeSi BoY NocturnaL >

Send a message via AIM to iLLeGaLaKKoRD
Yea definatley Vic, Great job on this!

Like Denali, outta all the other stuff i've read up until now, yours has made the most sense, and very clearly too.

Good Job!!
Old July 4th, 2003, 04:14 PM   #6
AV6.com Veteran

i believe pulleys "recover" lost power.. not increase it
kayotik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 4th, 2003, 05:12 PM   #7

Excellent info, if you want to add members who have specific brands of pullies to answer questions for people who are thinking of installing, sign me up. I got UR.
Darth Vader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 4th, 2003, 05:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by GreenLit98 on July 4th, 2003 at 07:12 PM

Excellent info, if you want to add members who have specific brands of pullies to answer questions for people who are thinking of installing, sign me up. I got UR.
Thanks everyone, I just figured this would be a thread to answer some main questions, and get everyone to the "next level" in understanding.

Actually, this what I exactly wanted everyone to do, people like you GreenLit98, IllegalAkkord, Viper, to help out everyone in here since you guys are the resident experts actually using the pulleys.

I think AccorDude had a good question here about the alternator pulley being eliminated from the equation to prevent the potential alternator problem. Can one of you share some input on this since I never had UR Pulleys installed?
Old July 11th, 2003, 11:51 PM   #9

UR - Comptech Supercharger Pulleys Available

Hey Everyone,

As promised, Unorthodox Racing has produced the stock diameter lightned crank pulley for Supercharged Accords. Yes, this is wonderful news considering we are "moving up the food chain" so to speak. But, with every positive, theres a negative.

Unorthodox Racing now offers this UNTESTED, UNPROVEN pulley for a nice affordable $245.

And, considering that the High Boost Pulley from Comptech was $79, this seems all the more hard to swallow. Tool has taken the liberty of getting this pulley, and will inform us of his results with the pulley upgrade.

The other concern is now going over 6psi+ of boost with this pulley, and the emminent damage to the Automatic Tranny is this going to pose in the long run. I don't feel safe knowing this pulley is going to push the car over what a stock tranny can handle. Only when the Bullet-Proof Tranny becomes available with this added boost really become attractive, but to some, the sacrafice to their tranny for added power is worth it.

Again, for all those interested in this, the only way to aquire this is by calling Unorthodox Racing directly. For more information regarding this latest development, please see the "Manufacturers" section of the forums.

Personally i'm not too happy with the way UR has treated us in regards to information, benefits, Group Discounts, etc. Especially when you consider the support we've given UR in the past with the SS Pulley set. But, for all those interested, here is the infomation.

Warmest Regards,

Victor
Old July 11th, 2003, 11:55 PM   #10
< DeSi BoY NocturnaL >

Has Tool gotten around to installing/dyno'ing the UR pulley yet?
Old July 12th, 2003, 12:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally posted by iLLeGaLaKKoRD on July 12th, 2003 at 01:55 AM

Has Tool gotten around to installing/dyno'ing the UR pulley yet?
I'm not sure, again Tool will be advising us whether this pulley actually does significant gains, or simply is a waste of money for the $245 we pay for it. Keep in mind that yes, gains are expected since the pulley is lightened, but most sigificant gains are experienced with the diameter of pulleys is changed (please see Performance Pulley Overview thread for an explaination).
Old July 12th, 2003, 12:04 AM   #12
< DeSi BoY NocturnaL >

Awesome Avatar btw Vic! hehe
Old July 12th, 2003, 05:19 PM   #13
6th and BEST Generation

Send a message via AIM to tool462
Yes its installed but I wont get on a dyno untill next wendsday afternoon , I will post results.
I cant tell a difference but 5 - 10 gain is hard to notice.
Later - Andy
tool462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 13th, 2003, 07:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally posted by tool462 on July 12th, 2003 at 07:19 PM

Yes its installed but I wont get on a dyno untill next wendsday afternoon , I will post results.
I cant tell a difference but 5 - 10 gain is hard to notice.
Later - Andy
Andy, I'd honestly like to say thank you and applaude your efforts for our members. It's people like you that truely make the difference.
Old August 12th, 2003, 08:31 PM   #15

I bought a alterstart alternator that generates more amps...and also comes with a smaller (i dunno if it is lighter) pully....I dunno if that helps with gains or not...but i am thinkin of jus gettin a crank pully....would that b a good idea ??

and oh...by far the most useful info on this sticky...

if anyone has any input...i would appriciate it...thnx guys...
proudplayar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 25th, 2003, 08:51 PM   #16
XmEnB!sHoP

Quote:
Originally posted by AccorDude on July 4th, 2003 at 02:53 PM

Cool nice Vic..so is there any way that i can install only the power and the crank pullies only?? and leave the alternator pullie as it is now?? is it possible?? sorry if it is a stupid question...(im so stupid with this kind of stuff). or is it all three that kills the alternator?? plz help....i got my pullie sitting here for like a month now... plz help me out Vic..~!! thx
bump
SAV602 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 1st, 2003, 12:44 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally posted by SAV602 on August 25th, 2003 at 10:51 PM

bump
Yes. This is certaily possible. Many people have concerns over whether to install the Alternator pulley since the installation of this pulley HAS BEEN KNOWN to eventually drain the battery, or even kill the alternator all together. Again, not being all too familair with the UR pulleys, i'll offer the best advice.

Two Alternatives for a Safer Bet:

1. Replace the alternator with an aftermaket alternator like Alterstart and KEEP the alterstart alternator pulley. By doing this you insure adequate power is being supplied to the alternator.

2. Just buy the Crank and Power Steering pulley. True, you will not recieve the full gains, but considering the gains from the Alterernator pulley are moderate anyways, no worries.

Last thing to consider at the belt sizes to do this as I am guessing you will need different belts in order to go this "safter route." I will inquire with IllegalAkkord on this one, I think he has the above set up, and his car is running fine.

Regards.

Victor
Old September 17th, 2003, 12:42 PM   #18

so how'd the dyno turn out tool?
PhatChink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 17th, 2003, 04:56 PM   #19
6th and BEST Generation

Send a message via AIM to tool462
all the results were posted a month ago in the dyno forum.

PS. dont waste your money
tool462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 28th, 2003, 01:23 PM   #20

If you were to change all three pullies, will you also need new belts? if so, are the belts included in the set or 3 pullies from UR? And UR's website offers their 3 pully set for $325, is that a decent price? what did you guys pay for yours and from where?
Copperfield is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 28th, 2003, 01:40 PM   #21
PitchBlk, aka BigLou 7

Send a message via AIM to Loulax07
hey vic, u think if i put these in my ass i can $hit as much as u do?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 Accord EX V6 Coupe - Nighthawk Black
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Loulax07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 8th, 2003, 09:47 AM   #22

New UR Pully

Good info here guys, Thanks. I don't know if youa re aware but UR has a new pully for the V6 that is the same size but a lot lighter stock=9 lbs Ur=1.5 lbs.
It is my understanding that for every pound you remove from the crank you get 2 HP. Perasitic HP robs Wheel HP.
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 8th, 2003, 07:33 PM   #23

I tested that Pulley and it only produced an average of 5WHP and 5WTQ. I posted the #s somewhere.
Lumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 9th, 2003, 06:50 AM   #24
import tuner and rn

since this thread is about pullies , and i know this topic has been brought up already , what about the harmonic balancing in the crank pulley . do after market pulllies cause wear on the engine.

thanks in advance
eolife22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 9th, 2003, 01:26 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally posted by Lumpy
I tested that Pulley and it only produced an average of 5WHP and 5WTQ. I posted the #s somewhere.
Thats not good to hear. I have a J30 what engine did you test on Lumpy?

Also what was the waight differance you observed between the stock and UR?
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 15th, 2003, 09:59 AM   #26
Can I call myself OG yet?

awesome thread victor. your info has helped me understand these pullies and their functionability far better than any other. im getting them because of your post.

thanks again, brandon.
AV6Driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 2nd, 2003, 10:05 PM   #27

the safer bet would be crank and power steering pullies from UR and an altastart pully...but what size would the belt have to be if your goin to run this set-up?
viet_six is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 14th, 2004, 11:34 PM   #28

hi,

I have a question for you and hope you can answer this for me? I got AEM underdrive pulley kit that come with the power steering and alternator. I still need the crank pulley, for this I was thinking of getting a Megan crank pulley. Do you think that combo will work for completing the kit. thanks
SONICBOOM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 14th, 2004, 11:49 PM   #29

hi,

I just want to know what is the direct link to get the alterstart and how much does it cost? When I click on the www.alterstat.com website it bring me to more links. Can anybody give me the direct link so that I can purchase it on the spot! thanks
SONICBOOM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 15th, 2004, 01:33 AM   #30

i have a question
can someone post links to places where they sell the pulley, ultra ss set for cheap??
the cheapest i found was for 315 with free shipping
acccccrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in