EGR Valve affecting MPG??? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD FAQ
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 28th, 2005, 11:52 AM   #1

EGR Valve affecting MPG???

I have a check engine light for the EGR valve and I don't have the money to get it fixed. I think today I am going to trhow some carb cleaner on it and see if that won't help it possibly. I am starting to notice a rotten egg smell which I think might be from the catalytic converter. I am not sure if the EGR valve can directly affect this, but since the light came on it seems my MPG has dropped. If I have this cleaned out and or fixed will it solve my problems?
portland98v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 28th, 2005, 03:54 PM   #2
4.0L

my MPG also dropped when my EGR valve threw a CEL. It turned out to not be the EGR valve but the hoses coming to and from the valve were clogged. I had the valve replaced and the hoses replaced...since then my MPG still hasn't been the same though =/
VietNinjaJ30A1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 2nd, 2005, 05:45 PM   #3

mine just went on yesterday. I'm taking it to the acura dealership next saturday to get it fixed under the extended emissions warranty for the EGR. For my acura it's good till 8 years or 80k miles.
ghost_masterCL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old December 4th, 2005, 10:28 AM   #4
4.0L

let us know if you notice any difference in your gas mileage after you get the new valve put in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

VietNinjaJ30A1
2000 Honda Accord V6 Supercharged
Official Slammed Club Member #36 (Stage 1)
VietNinjaJ30A1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 4th, 2005, 11:11 PM   #5

EGR info: http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ad.php?t=50446 and: http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ad.php?t=19148

Plumaccordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 18th, 2005, 09:13 PM   #6

Doesn't really answer the question about gas mileage but to fix it heres a reall good link to a pdf file from honda-acura.net

egr valve fix

Gives you parts numbers and instructions.
Hope it helps someone.
volum3rider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 31st, 2006, 12:38 AM   #7

i noticed that my MPG went up from 23 to about 24.5 when I got my EGR fixed under warranty. when your EGR gets clogged, it causes your fuel economy to suffer since exhaust gas can no longer displace part of the intake charge. Glogged EGR will also make the engine run hotter due to higher combustion temps.
YeuEmMaiMai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 31st, 2006, 10:35 AM   #8

I pulled my Turn Signal Fuse last night and today, I have th Check engine light and the SRS light come on. What a bummer for trying to fix a blown brake bulb. I think it is the EGR and for mine it is also 8yrs or 80,000miles warranty. So I got to get that fixed. I had the car since last April and mileage was never great. Always in the 22mpg range. I am at half now and I barely get 200 miles.
tchinhe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 1st, 2006, 08:06 AM   #9

u guys get great gas mileage!!! at the halfway mark im lucky to get 150miles LOL i guess i do too much VTEC growling
kleptodathief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 1st, 2006, 08:35 AM   #10
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
i noticed that my MPG went up from 23 to about 24.5 when I got my EGR fixed under warranty. when your EGR gets clogged, it causes your fuel economy to suffer since exhaust gas can no longer displace part of the intake charge. Glogged EGR will also make the engine run hotter due to higher combustion temps.
You're right on the first part, but higher combustion temps due to a clogged EGR will increase NOx emissions which is why the CEL is on. Engine temp will still be regulated to the same temperature by the closed loop cooling system, though. Combustion temp and overall engine temp are not the same thing.
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in