Legend caliper on AV6 - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD FAQ
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 19th, 2003, 03:53 PM   #1

Legend caliper on AV6

This Friday night i swapped calipers from 94-95 Legend GS to my 99 AV6 LX coupe. Swap was easy, and it worked out just fine.
When i took caliper off I thought I am going to use mounting brackets that came with Legendís calipers, but when i put them on I discovered gaps between rotor and mounting bracket are not even, gap on outer side was two time bigger then on inner side.
Picture below.

When I was taking brakes apart I did not paid attention to gaps with stock mounting bracket, so I decided to put back on see those gaps. Once I put it back on, I saw that gap are even and pretty much same as inner gap with Legendís mounting bracket.
Picture below.

So I decide to keep stock mounting bracket. As far of Legendís mounting bracket, I think it can be used with Legendís brake rotors. Would rotors from Legend fit Accord I donít know, but I think they would.

Every body knows YUN installed NSX calipers on his accord but encounter problem with brake lines, stock brake lines were too short in his situation. In my case I had no problems there, it could be because I have Goodridge SS brake line. I measured both brake lines (YUN asked me to), both brake lines about same length (stock line may be ĹĒshorter). I think had no problem with length because Goodridge lines have mid-point bracket not permanently fixed to brake line, so brake line can slide thru it if it needs to.

If you remember from YUN post that NSX calipers located on opposite side of rotor, same deal with Legend calipers as well, they pointing toward rear of car, when AV6 calipers pointing toward front. To solve this problem I just installed right caliper on left side and left one on right side. It worked perfectly without any kind of modifications, bleeding screw is pointing up as it supposed to.

Bleeding the brakes was easy, Iím saying easy because there was no air in system, may be because in I opened bleeding screws while I was checking and tightening bolts up, once fluid started to come out I closed them.

After a little bit of driving, it feels like car defiantly has more stopping power, and that with worn and warped rotors and brake pads that have about 3mm of friction material left. I already have blank Brembo rotors waiting to be installed but brake pads didnít arrived yet. Other thing, brakes feel firmer then before.

Conclusion.
Itís an easy DYI for people who can replace brake pads and bleed brakes. And itís cheap modification as well. I got calipers from junk yard and paid only $100+shipping for them.

for more pictures an bigger pictures visit this album -> http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289639109
HONDA_99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 19th, 2003, 04:12 PM   #2
J32A2 6-Speed Rocks

Send a message via AIM to Silv_Accord_V6
Did you get the calipers from a 2 door or 4 door legend?
Does it even matter? are they both the same size?
Silv_Accord_V6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 19th, 2003, 05:10 PM   #3

and what is the point of this? did it improve braking performance? or is this a looks thing?
Midnight Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old July 19th, 2003, 05:21 PM   #4
J32A2 6-Speed Rocks

Send a message via AIM to Silv_Accord_V6
I believe that the legend calipers are 2 pistons while our accords are only 1 piston.
Therefore, an increase in braking performance.
Silv_Accord_V6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 19th, 2003, 05:36 PM   #5

To Silv_Accord_V6;
It doesn't matter if its from coupe or sedan as long its from 94/95 Legend GS. Those cars had two piston caliper, similar to NSX. Rest of Legends had single piston brake calipers.

To MidnightAccord;
Legend calipers look spectacular as much as Accord calipers, same chunk of cast iron.
It does improve brakes performance, since I still have rotors that in very bad shape and pads that worn down to almost nothing; I didn't focus too much on it.

If some body is seeking to improve the look of brakes, can of spray paint will do better job.

BTW, I used G-Tech accelerometer to check 60-0 performance of old brakes, but I think itís not very accurate, it showed 116ft in 60-0 braking. That is ridiculously too low, it should've been 130-140ft. considering condition of brake that I had.
but i will try to use it again just see differance
Old July 19th, 2003, 06:06 PM   #6

hmm was it that easy, cuz i know nothing about brakes and have never worked on them, is this pretty cut and dry? do you FEEL performance? where did you buy them? how much did you pay? on monday i will call some local junk yards and see if they have any
Old July 19th, 2003, 06:25 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Deuce415
Sweet
Looks: 35% 3M Solabird tint | OEM spoiler | OEM Sunroof Visor | VIS OEM CF Hood | TYC Projectors | CF Eyelids | XenonDepot 4300K H1 HID | TYC Tails
Audio: Alpine CDA-7894 | Apline CHA-S634 | JL Audio 300/4 | Canton RS 2.16 Components | Infinity Kappa 693.3i | JL Audio 12w3v2
Deuce415 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 19th, 2003, 07:03 PM   #8

i used www.car-part.com to find calipers, its junk yard search engine and it covers entire North America (US & Canada).
Old July 19th, 2003, 07:19 PM   #9

kool good job
Old July 19th, 2003, 08:13 PM   #10
yun

Grats!
yun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 24th, 2003, 11:08 AM   #11

Great thread. Sticky material

The pads not having much material left shouldn't have a affect on braking, as long as theres still only brake material hitting the rotor.
bored&stroked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 25th, 2003, 10:07 PM   #12

116ft isn't far from realistic, worn tires or performance tires will greatly help that number, and pad/rotor wear makes NO difference.

Sam
Sam Lin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 12th, 2003, 08:04 AM   #13

Brian Hasty at fastbrakes knows that stuff like the back of his hand. send him an email
brakeboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 12th, 2003, 08:29 AM   #14

what are you talking about and who are you talking to?

Old November 13th, 2003, 02:25 AM   #15

Great DIY

Are the AV6 rear brakes and the Legend GS rear brakes different or the same?

Plumaccordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 13th, 2003, 06:13 AM   #16

they look different, and i don't know if they swapable or not. but i think they're not worth to look at them as a swap, they single piston so clamping force would not be much different from AV6 rear calipers, on top of that rear brakes do not do too much work, they pretty much there to keep car straight under heavy braking.
Old November 18th, 2003, 05:13 PM   #17

Send a message via ICQ to AccorDance
Do u think the caliper will work with AEM big rotors?

thanks
AccorDance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 18th, 2003, 06:37 PM   #18

i think they would, but i don't know if some moddification will be required. and if it does, it wouldn't be anything serious.
Old November 19th, 2003, 01:35 AM   #19

Send a message via ICQ to AccorDance
thx for the info, so that's the caliper from 94~95 GS?
I did search on car-part.com and seems like only sedan comes with the gs model? and wut does exc stands for in car-part.com?

thanks
Quote:
Originally posted by HONDA_99
i think they would, but i don't know if some moddification will be required. and if it does, it wouldn't be anything serious.
AccorDance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 19th, 2003, 06:21 AM   #20

if it says, Front, Sdn (4 Dr), exc. GS Right it means all sedan models(L, LS) except GS, because all sedan models have single piston caliper except GS, GS has 2piston caliper.

there is not exception for coupes, they all have 2piston calipers.
Old November 19th, 2003, 02:15 PM   #21

Quote:

there is not exception for coupes, they all have 2piston calipers.
What? Then why do we need the GS ones? The coupe calipers shouldn't be any different.
bored&stroked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 19th, 2003, 02:28 PM   #22

I miss spoke in bigining of this thread when i said:
Quote:

It doesn't matter if its from coupe or sedan as long its from 94/95 Legend GS. Those cars had two piston caliper, similar to NSX. Rest of Legends had single piston brake calipers.
coupes come as L and LS models and they all have 2 piston calipers.
sedans come as L, LS and GS models and only GS model has 2 piston caliper.

i'm sorry for making you confused.
Old November 21st, 2003, 06:14 AM   #23

Hey honda 99

I'm about to do this mod to my 02 TL within a couple of days, I got the 95 Legend GS calipers from AutoZone. They ordered a left and right caliper...but on the caliper, they look like they are left and right, but both of them have "R" on them.
The other problem is that the two pistons are not the same size. The bigger piston should be first to contact with the rotor and the smaller on should contact it second. But the calipers i have, one side will contact with the bigger one and the other caliper will contact with the smaller one first. I don't know if the remanufactured calipers i got were some how messed up??? What were urs like if you rememeber?
Another thing is that with the Legend calipers, they came with a pad spring, it's a little piece of metal that attaches to the caliper to keep the pad in place. The AV6 /TL stock caliper doesn't have this part. But did you have it when you got ur legend calipers? Acura charges $15 each for that little tiny piece, not sure if i should get it.
It be great it you would help or give me some tips before i start.

[email protected]
acuratlfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 22nd, 2003, 08:34 AM   #24

Old March 8th, 2004, 11:55 PM   #25

Sounds like you got 2 right handers, hey honda99 when you put them on the opposite side are the pistons hitting in the right order like he said large first small second?

Quote:
Originally posted by acuratlfan
Hey honda 99

I'm about to do this mod to my 02 TL within a couple of days, I got the 95 Legend GS calipers from AutoZone. They ordered a left and right caliper...but on the caliper, they look like they are left and right, but both of them have "R" on them.
The other problem is that the two pistons are not the same size. The bigger piston should be first to contact with the rotor and the smaller on should contact it second. But the calipers i have, one side will contact with the bigger one and the other caliper will contact with the smaller one first. I don't know if the remanufactured calipers i got were some how messed up??? What were urs like if you rememeber?
Another thing is that with the Legend calipers, they came with a pad spring, it's a little piece of metal that attaches to the caliper to keep the pad in place. The AV6 /TL stock caliper doesn't have this part. But did you have it when you got ur legend calipers? Acura charges $15 each for that little tiny piece, not sure if i should get it.
It be great it you would help or give me some tips before i start.

[email protected]

-In storage-
1993 Lexus sc400

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-RIP-
99' v6 EX coupe
A lot of shaved stuff,candy paint,DR. EVIL TRANNY, Intake,Headers, EVO Exhaust, 19" Falken wheels, exc....
gHETTO gREEN :) is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 9th, 2004, 06:53 AM   #26

i never looked which one come out first.
i'll be changing oil and tire rotation this weekend so i might look which one hit brake pads first.
Old March 9th, 2004, 10:25 AM   #27

Does it feel like it really matters? I mean they do feel mroe firm than the single pistons right?

-In storage-
1993 Lexus sc400

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-RIP-
99' v6 EX coupe
A lot of shaved stuff,candy paint,DR. EVIL TRANNY, Intake,Headers, EVO Exhaust, 19" Falken wheels, exc....
gHETTO gREEN :) is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 9th, 2004, 11:09 AM   #28

yes, it feels like stopping distance is shorter with 2-piston calipers.

as far of brake padle feel, it feels same.
Old March 13th, 2004, 09:34 PM   #29

i was changing oil today, so i had opportunity to look what piston extends first, and it was bigger one.
Old May 29th, 2004, 12:01 AM   #30

On any brake system that has more than 1 piston in the caliper, the leading piston should the smaller one. This is to help prevent pad taper.

Here is the Legend caliper assembly:

You can see that the smaller piston is the leading piston.

The NSX front caliper is towards the front of the car, not the rear.
Street Racer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in