Official OBX cat back exhaust system install & review - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD FAQ
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 4th, 2003, 11:42 AM   #1
Senior Moderhater

Send a message via AIM to abram2001
Official OBX cat back exhaust system install & review

Here is a pic of my OBX cat back exhaust system.

REVIEW:

Installation:

~ The installation is very straight forward. All you need is a 9/16 socket and ratchet. And some WD-40 and vaseline helps. The exhaust bolts are very very rusted and hard to take off, it is easier if you have a impact wrench. If you are puny then dont even bother trying this. Try to hold the ratchet as straight as possible, so you dont strip the side of the bolt. There are 3 bolt on the cat, and 2 bolt on each muffler. Once un-bolted, have someone help you pull the metal hanger tip out of the rubber hanger (put vaseline on the head of the metal hanger if neccessary). Then put in the new cat back piping into the stock hanger, and also the new mufflers into the stock hanger. The alignment of the obx muffler pipe that connect to the y-pipe is off, so you really have to musle the two things together. Slip the gasket in between the flanges and tighten all the bolts really tight.

After Installation Problem:

~ The right obx muffler is really messed up, and to fit it nicely you have to cut away about half-an-inch of the plastic tab under the bumper. Even after the install the right muffler is further out from the bumper by 1 inch, and there was nothing I can really do about it. Its not really noticeable unless yo ureally look at it.

Sound of the exhaust:

~ This exhaust is very loud from inside the car, almost to a sickening point especially at low rpm's. When you accelerate the sound of the muffler dies down, and you can hear your intake at vtec (if you have one, I have a DIY icebox). I wont recommend this to anyone who doesnt like a loud muffler.

Quality:

~ I noticed the weld's on the cat-back piping, and it looks really poor. It looks like somone just welded the main point's (but I guess thats all that really matters). If you look in the pipe, where it sits in the flange, you can see a gap where welds where missed, or not needed.

Performance:

~ If somone buys any exhaust system and noticed a major gain in performance without getting it dynoed, then they must be really talented. I did not notice any significant gain in HP, and I did not dyno my car before either, and I am not planning on getting it dyno'ed any-time soon.

Street Legal?:

~ I dont think this exhaust system is street legal, mainly due to the sound decible of this system exceeds the 94-95db limit of everywhere, I am almost positive it does. But then again, any cop can give you a ticket for something else that is similar to this, this will deffinatley make the cops turn heads, and hear you coming from far away.

Sound Suppression:

~ the obx exhaust system comes with two silencer tips already inserted, and can be easily removed with a allen key. It a good idea to take the stock pre-muffler resonator, and have it welded to the cat back piping to reduce the sound if you want, but that defeats the straight pipe purpose. Its all a matter of preference. For 30 dollars I would have it done.

** If anyone has any questions at all, feel free to ask me. I can help you out somewhat. I did install this afterall

~Abe
abram2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 14th, 2003, 11:04 PM   #2

do u reccomend it or no
V6 A c C o R d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 15th, 2003, 05:52 AM   #3
Senior Moderhater

I would only recommend the cat back piping it self, because I dont like the universal muffler looks, on a stock accord bumper.

Old May 15th, 2003, 10:11 AM   #4
Premium User

I agree.

I have the OBX Type H w/out the silencers in the tips.
I've never been real excited with how it looks, but love the
way it sounds. So, I'm keeping the piping and I'm going to
install supersprints.
It is beneath me.
Denali is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 10th, 2003, 01:03 PM   #5

If you look at mine, it's similar. It's a 5zigen dual axel-backs...I've been told you can barely hear it when driving...and I have the pre-muffler removed. It's really loud in the car, but a deep sorta loud...the reason I wrote this here is it's similar in looks for a different option...

GenXisT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 12th, 2003, 12:01 PM   #6
Senior Moderhater

denali, do you think the cat back piping is really loud? and you dont have a pre-muffler right? cause I think my exhaust is way too loud

and genxist, I love the little bacardi bat on the bottom of your bumper. I love bats.
Old June 12th, 2003, 01:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally posted by abram2001 on June 12th, 2003 at 01:01 PM

denali, do you think the cat back piping is really loud? and you dont have a pre-muffler right? cause I think my exhaust is way too loud

and genxist, I love the little bacardi bat on the bottom of your bumper. I love bats.
Actually, It's a spider, the spider that is the symbol for VENOM , one of the arch-enemies of Spider-Man. He's my favorite superhero...

see:

GenXisT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 12th, 2003, 03:51 PM   #8
DV8
Hella Functional

Send a message via ICQ to DV8 Send a message via AIM to DV8 Send a message via MSN to DV8
i thought that was barcardi bat also.... hahaha
DV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 12th, 2003, 05:38 PM   #9
Senior Moderhater

yeah it looks like the bacardi silver bat, but venom is also cool. But I am still a Batman fanatic.
Old June 13th, 2003, 01:16 AM   #10
Premium User

Quote:
Originally posted by abram2001 on June 12th, 2003 at 11:01 AM

Yes, at times I think its too loud. I'm actually switching it out for supersprints any day now. I looking for an OEM exhaust so I can have a premuffler again.
It is beneath me.
Denali is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 15th, 2003, 12:34 AM   #11

i have the obx type h's also, almost had them a year, i like it but sometimes it annoyingly loud, im switching to the full ss magnaflow exhaust, i had to pay 100 bucks to have mine fit cause where i bought if from they sent me a coupe one, so it needed some mods, it sound good imo....im just getting older and out of the loudness stage...more for looks.....i also have the full catback system, but my y pipe hangs low for some reason...dont know why
Midnight Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 16th, 2003, 11:55 PM   #12

yeah denali and abe, does your guys catback pipe hang low? well on my sedan the pipe hangs low, like you can see it really well from behind
Old September 16th, 2003, 11:59 PM   #13
Senior Moderhater

well if you have a stock bumper, its more shinier. But I dont think it hangs any lower.
Old September 17th, 2003, 12:03 AM   #14

i do and always will have a stock bumper, just adding a lip maybe its just me i thought it looked like it hung alot lower
Old October 19th, 2003, 12:47 AM   #15

hey ABE, i cant see the pis so can u email them to me @ [email protected] ..... also, where did u get these from and how much? you noted the exhausts are loud, can u shoot a short video for sound or if possible meet up some where, o i am in JERSEY. Im sorry if i m asking too much, i wana buy exhausts for my 99 TL but i dont know which yet.
TL_Diplomat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 13th, 2004, 03:14 AM   #16
Senior Moderhater

The pics work fine now, as for sound clips. I cant really get you one because I sold it already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in