Comptech Supercharger Overview - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD FAQ
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 19th, 2003, 09:41 PM   #1

Comptech Supercharger Overview

Hello Everyone,

This Thread I created as an overview for the Comptech V6 Accord Supercharger. Please feel free to add information to this thread I may have not included that you feel is vital. I will continue to add more information as time goes on and more experience from my colleagues are made. Special thanks to Andy (Tool462) and Tony (TAG) for your continued support.

The Comptech Supercharger Overview

The Comptech Supercharger for the V6 Accord is a complete Supercharger kit that doesn't require anything additional since all major components for the hoses/clamps to the actual blower are included. The only component you will require is the purchase of a 51R battery that can be found anywhere. For all intensive purposes, the Acura RSX battery is perfect for this kit, however other 51R batteries will fit fine as well.

Components

Powered by a screw type blower unit for smooth power delivery, the kit includes the Blower unit, Comptech-Icebox Intake, Fuel System Upgrades ESM Unit, Walbro GSS342 Fuel Pump, Battery Tray & Comptech Battery Tie-down (your choice of color in Silver or Red), and All Brackets, Belt and Hardware.

Cost of the Supercharger

The Comptech Supercharger retails for $4495.00 directly from Comptech, however other places that offer the kit costs substantially less. A few board members can sell you their kit for around $3900 brand new or less, simply ask around for the best deal. I can give some recommendations if anyone needs any where to buy this from. Just PM me.

Miscellaneous Recommendations

When purchasing the kit, I STRONGLY recommend getting a Transmission Cooler, (Retail $149- for the Comptech) and using Redline High Temperature Automatic Transmission Fluid (retail $28/gallon). A brand new set of (6) Denso Iridium IK20 Spark Plugs (Retail ~$70.) is also essential. I also recommend buying a few gauges. I bought the Autometer Tranny Temperature Ultra-Light Series (100-250F) gauge, as well as an Autometer Boost gauge (0-20psi). These gauges are the two essential ones since you will need to monitor both these things for testing and proper monitoring. Autometer makes a dual gauge pod for around $20, so you can mount this on the drivers side tower.

Where do I put the gauge probes?

I put my Tranny probe directly in the tranny cooler. I know this might not be 100% accurate, but this is alot easier than attempting to place the probe in the transmission. The boost gauge can be easily hooked up as well, and Comptech instructions outline how this is done.

Here’s a good question:

How much Redline do I need to purchase if I have the Comptech Supercharger and Comptech Tranny cooler?

Answer: Buy (1) Gallon for a partial tranny flush. You are going to use around 4/5 of the gallon in order to do a complete a partial tranny flush, and to properly fill the cooler. In order to do a full tranny flush, Lumpy suggests buying (2) Gallons as you will need to use about 1 and 3/4 of that amount in order to properly flush the system. Personally i've never a full flush, but thankfully Lumpy has!

Installation

Installation of the Supercharger Kit is very simple compared to most other kits offered on the market, however if you are not familiar with your engine, I would strongly recommend bringing the kit to someone who can. Figure for a trained knowledgeable person, it will take them around 8-hours of labor to do.

Problems and Minor Setbacks

Ok, here are a few problems I personally noticed right from purchasing and installing the kit. I strongly recommend reading the instructions front to back before installing. Comptech's NEW instructions on installation list some things to install in the incorrect order. So, have your tech read the instructions first!

1. The Blower unit covers the front (3) Spark Plugs making your typical "tune up" a mission. This is why I recommend buying some new spark plugs before installation. A set of IK20 Denso Iridium Spark Plugs work perfectly since they are a "colder plug" compared to the typical IK16's which are used in mildly modified engines. In order to access the plugs, it involves removal of the blower which is a long and painful experience.

2. The Comptech Icebox: In order to install this part of the kit, you need a long-neck screw driver since (2) of the screws need to be tightened in a cramped space. Also take note that some after market Headlamps like the Euro E-Code headlamps, and "Angel Eyes" headlamps may interfere since the icebox takes up alot of space. Other headlamps work just fine such as OEM, and Black/Clear housings.

3. The Fuel Pump: The kit comes with a Walbro GSS342 fuel pump that mounts in the OEM fuel pump bracket. Keep in mind that the fuel pump is in your trunk! So if you have a system/sub box back there, it need to come out in order to replace the fuel pump.

4. The *Optional* High Boost Pulley: The high boost pulley is not included in this standard Supercharger kit since the pulley puts the transmission in "the danger zone." Let me explain:

When Comptech first designed the Supercharger the HB (High Boost) pulley was the original pulley for the kit. The kit put out around 6psi of boost, and was amazing! However, after more research and development, the HB pulley was found to dramatically increase the chances of transmission deterioration, so Comptech didn't want to be blamed for this. This is why they say "they can't warranty the Supercharger if you buy the high boost pulley," NOT BECAUSE THE BLOWER CAN'T TAKE IT, BUT EVENTUALLY THE TRANNY CAN'T. Indirectly, they are protecting their and the customers best interests. They place the blame on their own equipment, instead of saying "Honda's Transmission Sucks" and getting sued.

Comptech redesigned the pulley and "retarded" it so it would decrease boost and place the normal operation of the auto tranny in a safe zone. The "retarded pulley" puts out around 3-5 PSI of boost, and the HB pulley puts out a solid 6-7.5psi.

In order to purchase the HB pulley, you need to call Comptech directly and order one since their website doesn't display it for sale. Cost is $79- excluding installation. I recommend getting this pulley before you install the kit since this pulley really makes the difference and is the best $79 bucks I ever spent on a performance upgrade. However if you are nervous about your transmission, stick with the original pulley.

5. You need the use all the components that come with the Supercharger, and not any substitutes. Personally, I had (2) atypical problems with my installation. I had a bad fuel pump and a bad Fuel Pressure Regulator. The fuel pump I replaced no problem, but then I had a bad FPR. I attempted to replace the CT FPR (that they call a Variable FPR) with a 1:5 aftermerket FPR. Bad idea, I was getting way too much fuel, and the car was acting funny. Luckily, I quickly fixed the problem, and Comptech was more that supportive in helping.

6. If you think you are going to wiring in your Apexi V-AFC into this with no problem, you may be mistaken. Some people were able to intergrade the V-AFC into the ESM with no problem. Other people, like me had a problem with the V-AFC killing your low end. Just keep in mind that the V-AFC is NOT essential, but if you can successfully wire the unit in, you can tune some more gains out of it.

Differences in the 1998-2000 and 2000-2002 Kits

Not too many major ones with the exception of how the spark plugs look against the blower unit. You may have also noticed how some blowers (like mine) look black while others have a silver look. The older blowers are black power coated, and the new blowers are high temperature coated. Presides the cosmetic differences, they are essentially the same supercharger.

Performance Gains

With the Comptech Supercharger, you can expect gains of around 35-42 WHP over stock. Comptech's website states numbers that are supposingly "derived from mean customer dynos." Personally, I went from 172 WHP (dynojet) to 221 WHP at 3.5psi (dynojet) (about a 49WHP gain, but I also had more things done to the car (headers, intake, exhaust, etc.)

After I had the high-boost pulley installed, I went from 221 WHP to 242 WHP at 6.5psi, about a 21WHP gain. Keep in mind these are my own personal gains. If any other Supercharger owners can put their numbers up, I’d super appreciate it to help everyone out.

Installation Costs

Vary greatly depending on where you go. But anticipate on paying $500-$1500 for installation.
Attached Thumbnails
Comptech Supercharger Overview-supercharger.jpg  
BigVic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 19th, 2003, 09:44 PM   #2
Senior Moderhater

Send a message via AIM to abram2001
nice post

one question, if you had the chance to go back and do it again, would you? and why?
abram2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 19th, 2003, 09:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally posted by abram2001 on August 19th, 2003 at 11:44 PM

nice post

one question, if you had the chance to go back and do it again, would you? and why?
Thanks Abe. I still need to add things to this post as I remember some points, but I wanted to get this out to everyone.

And, No way! If you are asking in terms of stock vs. supercharger no way! I love that Supercharger and there really is a huge difference in performance.

Old August 19th, 2003, 10:31 PM   #4
Can I call myself OG yet?

so after everything you did and paid to have done, how much did YOU spend???
Old August 19th, 2003, 10:34 PM   #5

The removal of the spark plug alone is a HUGE disadvantage on having that kind of supercharger. Not to mention replacing a smaller battery.

I'll just wait for Jackson Racing Supercharger. No need to replace battery and spark plugs are easly accessible.
QuizWORX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 19th, 2003, 10:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally posted by QuizWORX on August 19th, 2003 at 09:34 PM

The removal of the spark plug alone is a HUGE disadvantage on having that kind of supercharger. Not to mention replacing a smaller battery.

I'll just wait for Jackson Racing Supercharger. No need to replace battery and spark plugs are easly accessible.
When is that coming?
Crestgel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 19th, 2003, 11:11 PM   #7

Yeah Jackson Racing is coming out with our supercharger about the same time Honda takes responsibility for our transmissions, recalls all of them, and puts in new, stronger 6 speeds for everyone.

BigVic, very informative thread, makes me want a supercharger even more than ever. I was wondering, you wouldn't happen to have about 4 grand laying around that I could borrow would you?

Last edited by 1999AccordV6; August 20th, 2003 at 02:47 PM..
1999AccordV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 20th, 2003, 11:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by 1999AccordV6 on August 20th, 2003 at 01:11 AM

Yeah Jackson Racing is coming out with our supercharger about the same time Honda takes responsibility for our transmissions, recalls all of them, and puts in new, stronger 6 speeds for everyone.

BigVic, very informative thread, makes me want a supercharger even more than ever. I was wondering, you wouldn't happen to have about 4 grand laying around that I could borrow would you?
Thanks. I'll continue to keep adding on to this thread as time goes on to better inform our members.
Old August 21st, 2003, 12:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally posted by AV6Driver on August 20th, 2003 at 12:31 AM

so after everything you did and paid to have done, how much did YOU spend???
Um, everything I did? Or just the Supercharger install?
Old August 21st, 2003, 12:02 AM   #10

Great overview of the Comptech S/C

Makes me want one so badly .

Plumaccordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 23rd, 2003, 04:23 PM   #11

i kind of have the same question, just your personally, with install and the plugs and all the little knick knacks and everything involved in getting this up and running how much did it cost, this is very informative and am going to read it like 10 times, what are the longest lasting plugs? so i dont have to change them out very often, i was going to sell my car, but i just had a phone conversation with lumpy and now i get all excited about getting it again, so i think i will stick with it and hopefully get one soon, this answered alot of my questions

THANKS BIGVIC!
Midnight Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 23rd, 2003, 04:46 PM   #12
6th and BEST Generation

Send a message via AIM to tool462
s/c kit -3800
install - 750
gauges(fp, boost, a/f)w/install - 500
boost upgrade pulleys & install - 200
ik20 and install - 100
injectors & install - 500
battery - 50

total 5900 plus dyno tuning (300 - 500 ) 80whp/80#increase
I dynoed 180/160#s with ALL of the bolt-ons pre s/c

note: TAG and I have spent about 2000 on the dyno because we were pretty much guinnie pigs and didnt know what to expect from each step in the process.
Now you guys can skip a lot of the steps and just do it all at once and tune it all at once.

Our third s/c'd v6 (02accordv6 ?) has been to the dyno twice and is at 255/220 with just two dyno tuning hours ...about $200
tool462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 23rd, 2003, 05:01 PM   #13
6th and BEST Generation

Now if you look at my sig and my links, you can see that I have spent a lot more than 6000 . These #s are STRICTLY related to the S/C.

Dont make me start thinking about ALL of the money that I have spent .

performance (engine) $10,000
suspension & wheels $4,500
show(hid,vis,tint,etc) $2,000
sound system $6,000
dyno $2,000
$ include labor

somebody gotta gun?
I hope my wife doesnt read this thread!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 23rd, 2003, 05:05 PM   #14
6th and BEST Generation

I could have two accords LOL
Old August 23rd, 2003, 05:22 PM   #15

thanks tool, for dyno runs for me,i get 3runs for 70 bucks, heres what im planning:

Comptech S/C
V6P Tranny kit
Unichip

and other little things, so hopefully i can lay down some good HP
Old August 23rd, 2003, 07:07 PM   #16
< DeSi BoY NocturnaL >

Send a message via AIM to iLLeGaLaKKoRD
Thanx for leading the way Tool
iLLeGaLaKKoRD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 23rd, 2003, 08:46 PM   #17
V6P Negotiator & Promoter

Quote:
Originally posted by tool462 on August 23rd, 2003 at 04:01 PM

Now if you look at my sig and my links, you can see that I have spent a lot more than 6000 . These #s are STRICTLY related to the S/C.

Dont make me start thinking about ALL of the money that I have spent .

performance (engine) $10,000
suspension & wheels $4,500
show(hid,vis,tint,etc) $2,000
sound system $6,000
dyno $2,000
$ include labor

somebody gotta gun?
I hope my wife doesnt read this thread!!!
After our introduction at the SEMA International Trade show in Las Vegas, Nov/03, V6P.net will then start selling several high performance packaged kits to include many of the v6 products we helped get manufacturer and available.

V6p.net's promotional sales we'll be focused to focus to help our v6p members. We also will assist our members write-up their Xmas wish lists, for a few generous parents to see and hopefull support!

V6p.net plans to to have the most reasonable prices around, with our profits going to support our other future v6 product lines, services and nationwide chapter sponsorships.

I encourage all our v6p members to wait and see what products v6p.net will soon be selling to its members.

Thanks for your support!
Maurice
MrV6P is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 25th, 2003, 02:09 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally posted by MidnightAccord on August 23rd, 2003 at 06:23 PM

i kind of have the same question, just your personally, with install and the plugs and all the little knick knacks and everything involved in getting this up and running how much did it cost, this is very informative and am going to read it like 10 times, what are the longest lasting plugs? so i dont have to change them out very often, i was going to sell my car, but i just had a phone conversation with lumpy and now i get all excited about getting it again, so i think i will stick with it and hopefully get one soon, this answered alot of my questions

THANKS BIGVIC!
Tool hit the nail on the head, but i'll sum up my rough totals:

SC: $3580 (At Cost)
Labor: $1500 (also included some other stuff too).
Battery: $79 (Acura RSX)
Tuning: $300 (6-Dyno Pulls)
(3) Autometer Gauges: $220w/Pod
High Boost Pulley: $79 with $100 install.
Miscellenous Problems: $300 (bad fuel pump/and FPR).

Total: $6158.
Old August 25th, 2003, 02:54 AM   #19

i thought jackson racing was coming out with a SC this fall? I think i read this on SHO....someone correct me if i'm wrong.
Akord02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 25th, 2003, 02:27 PM   #20

yeah thats what they "say" i email them all the time and get nothing back
Old September 23rd, 2003, 02:16 PM   #21

hey BigVic...where did you get your S/C for 3500??
Akord02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 29th, 2003, 02:10 PM   #22
Sifu

How about some numbers? What are you charged guys putting down to the road?
Hunsvotti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 29th, 2003, 07:46 AM   #23

NO NO what 1/4 mile times or 0-60's... something in seconds
jasonthe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 29th, 2003, 08:07 AM   #24
6th and BEST Generation

I have recorded a best of 13.88 @ 100.2 mph and several 13.9's.

In sub 50 degree and sub 50% humidity its a solid 13.9 second car, in hot and humid weather its a solid 14.2 second car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 29th, 2003, 02:06 PM   #25

beginners question... what's a stock run... and what's one with intake and exhaust run....just so i can compare...
jasonthe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 29th, 2003, 05:38 PM   #26
6th and BEST Generation

stock 16.1 - 16.5
i/h/e 15.5 - 15.8
i/h/e/p/vafc 15.0 - 15.5

Old April 16th, 2004, 02:28 AM   #27
vroom vroom

Great FAQ
ctsport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 8th, 2006, 12:15 AM   #28
(つ◕‿◕)つ*•.★.•*•.★.•* •.★.•

dug this thread up and man do i want a supercharger! I wonders how BigVic and Tool462's tranny holding up?
Red02AccordV6_2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 10th, 2006, 05:30 PM   #29

Send a message via AIM to spectro Send a message via MSN to spectro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red02AccordV6_2
dug this thread up and man do i want a supercharger! I wonders how BigVic and Tool462's tranny holding up?

I dont know why, but i think i have a Freak-of-nature tranny that just leaves me wondering. My car has 65k miles on it, and there is no sign of tranny problems at all. I mean, when driving the shifting is so smooth, no jerks, clunks, or anything of what other people have mentioned. I am SC'd, and thinking about doing the 6spd swap, specially now that i have been forcing the tranny a lot, but not a single sign of stress from it. I know there are some guys out there with over 100k miles, and still running strong. i also have the tranny cooler from comptech just for back up.
spectro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 10th, 2006, 08:35 PM   #30

vic's tranny melted shortly after the supercharger install if i remember correctly. It was around the time I was just getting onto this forum. Tool I have no idea bout never talked to the guy he lurks here now and doesnt post too often. you should try to pm him and see what he says.
Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in