tensioner pulley removal - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 2nd, 2006, 01:01 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to metallikatz3
tensioner pulley removal

Anyone know how to get off the tensioner pulley for the accessory belt? mine's loose and is making all kinds of noise.
metallikatz3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 2nd, 2006, 06:09 PM   #2
Got LSD?

I hate to be the one to tell you this but you have to lossen all the motor mounts and raise the whole engine at an angle so the the bolt will come out of the pulley. It took about an hour and some cursing but it wasnt that bad. Honda quoted me at 160 bucks. Its almost worth it just to have them do it. If you decide to do it I will get more indept on how I did it.
00suprchrgdAV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 3rd, 2006, 01:12 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to metallikatz3
thanks, thats what i thought i had to do too..im just gonna see how bad it gets, and im def gonna take it to honda in that case then cuz i dont have many of my tools with me here at college.
metallikatz3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old June 21st, 2008, 12:02 PM   #4

i know this is a old post but can you post up how you did it? mine locked up yesterday i got it towed to my house and i'm trying to replace it now
orbovi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 21st, 2008, 11:21 PM   #5
+2 cylinders

if you're talking about the alt/AC tensioner it's annoyingly tight quarters but I took care of mine in my driveway. the bolt on the tensioner pulley is left hand thread so remember that when you're in there. shi now i can't remember if i loosened the tensioner arm to get that bolt out or what it was but def didn't have to mess with tilting the engine
DonutLimo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 30th, 2008, 02:55 PM   #6

my tensioner is vibrating like hell. its also making a noise that sounds like running sand through a bearing. this started yesterday, and it got progressively worse throughout the day as i was running around town.

on the way home just now, the belt actually came off. pieces of the belt are everywhere, so i need tips on how to remove the tensioner to replace it.
uncleben00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 30th, 2008, 03:09 PM   #7

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...T+%28V6%29

looks like the tensioner is mounted with two bolts, and the center bolt is the one that was previously discussed as being left-hand thread.
Old December 30th, 2008, 04:42 PM   #8
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

There are three bolts holding the tensioner on, 2- 10mm head and the one in the middle is 8mm head all of them are normal thread and you leave the center bolt in the tensioner until you lift it out. Also first you need to remove the dip stick which is held on by one 10mm head bolt, then twist repeatedly and pull.
NVA-AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 11th, 2009, 08:02 PM   #9

got it changed. took about 2 hrs. two 10mm bolts, and the center bolt is 8mm as NVA-AV6 said. you dont need to remove the dipstick completely, just unbolt it and twist it out of the way.

other than that, pretty straight forward fix. i'd say the toughest part is getting the plastic shroud off, and the belt is a b* tch to put back on.
Old January 28th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #10

Angry nice job

Hello
so i have to post 10 times until i can start a thread i guess.
9 to go.
hardknocks1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 28th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #11
The End.

Send a message via AIM to IcyAccord
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardknocks1 View Post
Hello
so i have to post 10 times until i can start a thread i guess.
9 to go.
Hope you get banned.
IcyAccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 28th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #12
-Maninder

Hopefully you get banned before you make your own thread.
1fastJ30A1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 28th, 2009, 11:15 PM   #13
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Damn......... i have to much to worry about then to hear that useless 9 more post stuff
skatingclaybird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 15th, 2011, 10:11 AM   #14

yep

I just got this off as well. Its like unclenben said. You can do it in your garage. Kind of a pain but what isnt. 3 bolts and just turn the dipstick out of the way a bit.
Dielex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 5th, 2013, 09:59 AM   #15

I have a question regarding this, I know its an old thread but my tensioner pulley is going out.

I'm going to order mine from majestic Honda for about 25 shipped, should I remove the entire assembly and then change the pulley or should I lift the engine as said? And which is the easiest way to remove the assembly?

Last edited by DiceX; October 3rd, 2013 at 05:32 PM..
DiceX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 21st, 2014, 09:08 AM   #16

Smile 2003 V6 Accord tensioner

Just removed mine. First I removed the belt and I slid the power steering reservoir up and off its holding post, and moved to one side and forward, out of the way as best I could. The whole tensioner assembly had to be removed, but I did not have to unbolt the motor mount. There is a small bolt, out of sight, under the assembly that took a 12 mm socket. Remove that first as the other bolt will be in the way if you loosen that first. (I suggest a 6pt socket, because if you round the head of the bolt, you will all but need to remove the engine.) I could not see it, I had to locate this small bolt by touch only. Then remove the bolt in the center of the bottom idler pulley wheel, as that is the main holding bolt for the tensioner assembly. Used a 14mm socket for that. When the lower bolt is removed and the larger one loosed and separated from the engine; I turned the unit sideways and lifted to remove. I replaced both pulleys on my work bench and am now about to replace the whole unit in tact. Note that the upper pulley is held on by a left threaded bolt or at least it was that way in my case. (that is the reason for being on this forum, in order to verify that) Good luck, I hope this helps. Note: I tried to remove the large bolt first, only to find the frame in the way. Then, it would not go back in for me to get to the lower bolt. I discovered that the assembly had rotated slightly pivoting on the lower bolt. I had to rock the assembly back and forth to get the larger bolt back in, then re-tighten, in order to remove the lower bolt first. I hope you read this far before you removed that upper bolt!

Last edited by Jim Addison; February 21st, 2014 at 11:51 AM..
Jim Addison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 21st, 2014, 01:13 PM   #17

Idk if the 6th gen is similar to the 7th gen when it comes to the tensioner, but for your first post, good write up.
DiceX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 17th, 2019, 10:09 AM   #18

I have a 2010 Honda Accord v6 J series motor and I’m trying to find out for sure which way to turn the center bolt that goes through the middle of the tensioner pulley for the serpentine belt. Close quarters and real tight. Does anybody know if the bolt turns clockwise(towards the front of the car) or counter clockwise(towards the firewall) to loosen up the bolt?
Justjus1225 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 17th, 2019, 04:54 PM   #19

tensioner pulley removal on serpentine belt

I have a 2010 Honda Accord v6 J series motor and I’m trying to find out for sure which way to turn the center bolt that goes through the middle of the tensioner pulley for the serpentine belt. Close quarters and real tight. Does anybody know if the bolt turns clockwise(towards the front of the car) or counter clockwise(towards the firewall) to loosen up the bolt so I can take the pulley off??
Justjus1225 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in