upper control arm ball joint - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 27th, 2008, 05:31 AM   #1
Super IcyAccord

upper control arm ball joint

hey v6p

when i was doing my suspension last week, i noticed that my drivers side control arm ball joint looked kind of weird.

upon closer inspection it seems like the boot somehow melted off the ball joint itself. i dont understand how this could have happened as i just replaced it with an OEM honda control arm 3-4 months ago

if i need to replace it again, can i just buy a balljoint? or will i have to buy a new control arm assembly?

thanks
changaroo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 27th, 2008, 05:45 AM   #2
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

You can get a AM ball joint from your local parts store, it has to be pressed in/out.
NVA-AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 27th, 2008, 05:49 AM   #3
Super IcyAccord

im just worried the same thing is going to happen again... i have no clue how a boot would just melt off like that.

im running 225/40 up front with -1.9 deg of camber so it doesnt seem like anything too crazy.

i have access to a press so it shouldnt be too bad, i take it the whole control arm has to come off though correct? also, replacing this shouldnt mess up my alignment right?

Old October 27th, 2008, 06:25 AM   #4
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

If you are doing a fixed ball joint , no, your alighnment should be fine, I have seen the boots rip off before where they were installed wrong, but not "melt" off, but 1.9 camber is alot, how about ingalls front camber kits? If you have to go thru replacing it anyway, why not do it right and get camber correction kits? Yes you do need to remove the control arm, you have to drop out the strut and then there are two bolts holding it on the chassis.
NVA-AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 27th, 2008, 07:05 AM   #5
Super IcyAccord

I never really wanted to run camber kits because of the nature of how they are made. the adjustable ball joint ones will hit the shock tower when the suspension moves at the height i'm at.

im running close to zero toe, so the wear on the tires shouldnt be too bad.

i just replaced both axles, so im assuming the click im hearing when im slowing down / accelerating from a stop is my balljoint. thanks for the help again!
Old October 28th, 2008, 12:14 PM   #6

I think was NVA-AV6 is referring to is the Ingalls Control Arm camber kit, not the less expensive ball joint only one.

It basically is a replacement Upper Control Arm with a sliding ball joint (which itself is the same size as an OE ball joint). This type of kit doesn't have issues with slamming the top since it doesn't need extra clearance space vs. stock (or very minimal extra space). I haven't heard of anyone having hitting issues with these (though they are much less popular than the ball joint kits, likely due to price). A set for Left/Right will be $250-$300 vs. <$150 for the ball joints.

I have this kit in my Accord (after wearing out no-name ball joints I got from eBay), and it works great. Though I'm likely not nearly as slammed as you might be.
apspeedbump is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 28th, 2008, 02:18 PM   #7
learning

lol holy crap ur running with 1.9 negative camber. i think when i went to fix my alignment it was somewhere around that. u guys are crazy. i wonder what the ride is like
GoChino!! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 11th, 2008, 06:24 AM   #8
ready for more

1.9 isn't too crazy i roll -1.5 up front and -.75 in the back. Helps your front grab turns and your back slide through. 4 Door Autocross ftw!
nixed007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 13th, 2008, 02:02 PM   #9
Destroyer of Tires

Yeah -1.9 is nothing... Keychain is running -3.1 in the rear, and I think I'm probably somewhat close to him (my guess is like -2.5). I've had these tires for a while now too!

Doctor_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 13th, 2008, 03:13 PM   #10
same avatar since 03'

Send a message via AIM to kEyChAiN
Yea -1.9 is nothing. I'm running -3.0, -3.1 in the front and -3.2, -3.3 in the rear.
kEyChAiN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 13th, 2008, 03:48 PM   #11

NEG camber FTW
JCharged is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in