Help with rubbing issue please! - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 17th, 2008, 08:44 AM   #1

Help with rubbing issue please!

Finally got my new wheels in, but now they are rubbing. Wheel size is 17x8 with 35 offset I believe.. it wasn't indicated on the back of the wheel.. but the lip is about 2" give or take. Currently running 225/45/17 tires and dropped on Pro-kits.

I seem to rub more often in the front than the rear, though Pro-kits tend to have a "boat like" look with the front slightly higher than the rear.

What are my options?? Plus my rear is almost flush but the front stick out... sigh... Thanks in advance.

Addition:
Usual responses would probably be roll fenders or change tire size.

How is the process of "fender rolling" done?

What is a suggested tire size for my situation? Do I run some negative camber to fix the situation as well? If so.. how much?

Thanks.

Last edited by showeringApe; November 17th, 2008 at 09:26 AM..
showeringApe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 17th, 2008, 09:34 AM   #2
Super IcyAccord

lots of ways to deal with the fender issue, you can rent a professional roller (bolts onto the hub, and you spin it), or do it old school with a baseball bat. but you have to be careful.

the problem with the rear fender on the accords are that they have pinch welds spanning across the whole thing, so youre better off grinding it down instead. also, if you are rubbing in the rear, its most likely the bumper tab and not the rest of the fender.

i cannot run a 45 series tire up front or i will rub regardless. if you do change tire size, try going down to a 40. the width should be fine if you run some camber to compensate. do you know your current camber specs?

btw what kind of wheels?
changaroo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 17th, 2008, 09:42 AM   #3

Thanks for the input changaroo.

Also.. is it even normal for me to be rubbing on my Pro-kit drop? I have 2 finger gaps in the rear and about 3 in the front.

Currently dont have my camber specs though i should probably get an alignment some time soon anyways.

As for the wheels.. they're some "Hart" wheels. =)

Old November 17th, 2008, 10:22 AM   #4
Super IcyAccord

well i believe most hondas get some negative camber as they are lowered due to the nature of how the suspension is setup, if i recall correctly the pro-kit is just a moderate drop (nothing wrong with that) so you probably didnt get too much camber with that setup.

pair that with your +35 offset which is pretty aggressive & a 45 series tire, i think its pretty possible. but i may be wrong

are you rubbing in turns only? or going straight too?
Old November 17th, 2008, 10:36 AM   #5

No rubbing on turns. Just going straight when I hit a dip in the road going at a moderate speed. It is drivable and I can avoid rubbing if i drive slowly and carefully.

On the upside, it can alter my "spirited" driving habits and help with my gas mileage.
Old November 17th, 2008, 10:42 AM   #6
Super IcyAccord

humm... maybe youre just rubbing the fender liners? which are plastic... which i dont have anymore on my car
Old November 17th, 2008, 12:00 PM   #7
4.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by showeringApe View Post
No rubbing on turns. Just going straight when I hit a dip in the road going at a moderate speed. It is drivable and I can avoid rubbing if i drive slowly and carefully.

On the upside, it can alter my "spirited" driving habits and help with my gas mileage.
That just means that the offset is "too" low. In the front you'll eventually rub away part of the fender liner...which should be ok. It'll still stay in place due to it's natural shape and it being held on in other places.

In the rear you can roll the fender like changaroo suggested, or you can cut slits in the inner lip of the fender and fold the "tabs" back. This is what I did. Just heat the area with a heat gun to keep the paint from cracking, and use a rubber mallet to gently tap the tabs up into the fender. That'll take care of the lip. Then the other part that you're most likely rubbing on is the bumper tab that changaroo was talking about. What I did with this was I took the screw out, drilled a new hole through the bumper and the lip on the quarter panel about 1" back from the original hole. Then put the screw back in to hold the bumper in place through this new hole. Now you can take a dremel and cut away that bumper tab where the screw used to be.

This solved all my rubbing issues. Even to the point where I could tuck the rear tire.
VietNinjaJ30A1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 17th, 2008, 12:36 PM   #8
THLA 2009 Bombsquad

Send a message via AIM to Dtownz Thrillah
Hrmmm I run 17x8 rear +36 offset on ready? 215/50/17 and I run rarely and I was dummped in my summer mode.

You can let it rub and wear out or you can do a DIY fender roll.

I did it myself with a heatgun and rubber mallet.

I have to take off my rear wheels use jackstands and heat it up and hold one hand on the outside of the fender then hit the other side with the mallet.

Well as I hit the mallet I used my hand on the outside and dampened the hit on the outside.

You can watch this video but most people say this is the ghetto way to do it ..

I didnt care and it worked for me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxmw-4A0DEQ
Dtownz Thrillah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 17th, 2008, 12:52 PM   #9
hmmm what next?

i love how he used a pipe!
shonda1989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 17th, 2008, 01:02 PM   #10
THLA 2009 Bombsquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonda1989 View Post
i love how he used a pipe!
I tried that method first but it failed badly haha
Old November 17th, 2008, 01:45 PM   #11

I ran a 235/45R17 tire with my old Accord dropped on prokits, and my rear didnt have even 1 finger gap (probablly because of the subs and dynamat). I dont think I rubbed in the front but I could be wrong, or it just wore some fenderliner out eventually like said above.

For the rear, it was the bumper tab I was rubbing on. I just got 4 friends sit on the edge of the trunk with it open (thank god for heavy friends), got them to bounce the car a few times and found out exacally where it was rubbing and cut what was needed off. It was only plastic and it took like 10 mins not even. It still rubbed alittle bit but after while it eventually wore out.
accord_4_life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 17th, 2008, 03:48 PM   #12

Very entertaining vid Dtownz. Gotta love the enthusiasm of Japanese people as well as the professional touch-up paint job he did.

Anyways I did a little research and stumbled on a guy named "spunkysandoval" on the s2k forum "www.s2ki.com" that everyone is ranting a raving about his fender rolling/flaring abilities for $100 for all 4 fenders. He's located in the SD area. Anyone ever heard of him? He's supposed done all types of cars such as WRX, EVO, 350z, G35, 240sx, Lexus GS, Integra, Civic, Prelude, M3 Ect...

Is $100 a reasonable price? My front wheels are sticking out about 3/4" so getting them flared as well would be nice.. then that way I MAY consider dropping moar like all you beasts on this forum ALWAYS insist. (since im on Pro-kits)

And by "beasts" I mean that in a manly flattering way.
Old November 17th, 2008, 04:36 PM   #13
The End.

Send a message via AIM to IcyAccord
PICTURES MAnNN
IcyAccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 17th, 2008, 11:21 PM   #14
THLA 2009 Bombsquad

$100 is not bad ..

Locally I can go to a guy with a fender roller and he'll let me use his jackstands and fender roller for about $70 if memory serves me right.

Pics =]
Old November 17th, 2008, 11:38 PM   #15
THLA 2009 Bombsquad

I was wrong .. its $50 DIY and he'll help you if you need it ..

But still $100 isnt bad
Old November 17th, 2008, 11:48 PM   #16
4.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownz Thrillah View Post
You can let it rub and wear out or you can do a DIY fender roll.

I did it myself with a heatgun and rubber mallet.

I have to take off my rear wheels use jackstands and heat it up and hold one hand on the outside of the fender then hit the other side with the mallet.

Well as I hit the mallet I used my hand on the outside and dampened the hit on the outside.
That's exactly what I did...but I cut slits in the lip that you're trying to fold back first. Cutting the slits takes the pressure off the metal so it can bend easier without as high of a risk of damaging paint. That and I was able to fold back the tabs COMPLETELY...so there's pretty much no way I could rub in the back. It can be done either way (obviously), but cutting the slits in it allows you to fold back the lip without having to "stretch" the metal in the process.
VietNinjaJ30A1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 18th, 2008, 01:47 AM   #17
Hector Ochocinco

Send a message via AIM to HECz_
17x8 +35 ?
Can he really be rubbing ?
HECz_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 18th, 2008, 10:34 AM   #18
THLA 2009 Bombsquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by HECz_ View Post
17x8 +35 ?
Can he really be rubbing ?
I dont really know

Like I said in my other threads before ..

I run 17x7 +36 front and 17x8 +36 rear ...

Since my tires are 50 series I rub because I am so low.

Im rubbing my fender liner in the front but its been about 3-4 months its wore down and barely rubs.

The rear rub with even 1 person in the back. But with no one in the car and just myself it rubs over 50% of roads over here in Michigan.

But I have narrowed it down to these factors for my car ...

1. Tires are too big.
2. Last alignment was in March 08 and it has been lowered dramatically since then. I had crazy camber wear in the front and not much in the back. [It's weird because usually you get camber wear more in the rear than front].
3. My system is super heavy [big ported box with heavy Eclipse sub and 2 amps, some tools for emergency and my stock suspension has been sitting there for about 2 years].
4. My tokico illuminas have finally given out.
Old November 20th, 2008, 11:04 AM   #19

Thanks for the help guys. Been super busy at work since im trying to make enough this week to pay for a paint job. Anyways I'll try to update with some pictures when I have some more time.
Old December 9th, 2008, 09:29 PM   #20
Hector Ochocinco

Send a message via AIM to HECz_
Pics!
It was too dark when I saw them man!
HECz_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in