HELP Breaking free Lower Ball Joint - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 28th, 2008, 10:15 PM   #1
✠ 2nd Amendment'r ✠

HELP Breaking free Lower Ball Joint

Im pissed, after hammered on it for two hours, the lower ball joint has still not popped free...

Ive tried putting a jack under the bolt and hammering on the side of the lower control arm and nothing...Ive hammered on the underside of the bolt and nothing....Nothing is working.

Its been soaked in PB blaster a few times, doesnt seem like its helped any.

I want to find a pickle fork and just hammer at it, I know it will ruin the ball joint, but im at the point I dont give a ****.

Ive thought about going to autozone tomorrow and renting a pitman arm puller and seeing if that will work.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY POINTERS? I'd like to g et this done tonight so I can finish replacing the axle, and have time to do all the other maintenace crap tomorrow.
99cfENVYv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 28th, 2008, 11:29 PM   #2
Bobby Lane Racing

your problem is jacking up under the bolt that doesn't help you but make it worse. you need to lift up the whole hub at the wheel studs while taking a hammer to the lower control arm. the lower control arm must seperate from the hub by falling off/ slide off.
nighthawk04v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 29th, 2008, 01:08 AM   #3
✠ 2nd Amendment'r ✠

Well, I ended up just taking out the fork, and removing the axle that way.

Why would it matter if i jacked up the hub or from under the bolt? When I jacked up from under the bolt, it wasnt touching the control arm, just the tip of the bolt.

Old November 29th, 2008, 10:22 AM   #4
Bobby Lane Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cfENVYv6 View Post
Well, I ended up just taking out the fork, and removing the axle that way.

Why would it matter if i jacked up the hub or from under the bolt? When I jacked up from under the bolt, it wasnt touching the control arm, just the tip of the bolt.

i take out ball joints all the time and i'm giving you the most simple advice. no need to ask why if you're asking for a tip. If youre going to jack anything up, jack up the hub on the wheel studs. If you jack it from the ball joint, how much room does that give you to take a hammer to the lower control arm?? You want to beable to smack the lower control arm right where the ball joint is and by jacking it up there, it takes away alot of leverage for your swing, and where you can hit it.
nighthawk04v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 29th, 2008, 11:35 AM   #5

I used a balljoint separator and with some pounding it came out easy. Trashed the ball joint though.. But i was replacing it, so....
ericspda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 29th, 2008, 11:47 AM   #6
EliteCM.net

Send a message via AIM to sy272004 Send a message via Yahoo to sy272004
any pics what you trying to do?
sy272004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 29th, 2008, 02:18 PM   #7
✠ 2nd Amendment'r ✠

It was jacked up from both spots, from the hub and under the bolt. At first I tried under the bolt, then switched to the hub, then did the bolt a few more times....
I was going to need a pickle fork, or try something like an arm puller...

I even had a friend (big ol dude) that worked for Honda for sometimes try and hit it and he didnt get it to move, then he suggested just taking the fork out completely and moving the hub that way.
Old November 29th, 2008, 08:49 PM   #8
MASTER OF MAYHEM

Send a message via AIM to Joepro
there is not reason to jack up anything, we do this on a lift, in mid air. Honestly, you just are not hitting it hard enough, or your hammer is too small. The sweet spot is about an inch to the left on the arm when hitting it from the back side. also, you need a mini-sledge, a regular roofing hammer will not do the job. You have to WHACK it. Im a big guy and I could not get it out, but a smaller tech showed me where to hit it and boom, out it came and he hit it 3 or 4 times.
Joepro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in