Newbie...What is a Camber Kit?? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 17th, 2009, 08:45 PM   #1

Newbie...What is a Camber Kit??

I have read the threads and I gather that a Camber kit makes your wheels flush with your rims. I'm confused as to how, where do I get a kit, does it come as an entire front and rear kit? Who installs them and where do I get it? I'm pretty mechanical and have worked on cars, but I'm fresh off the boat when it comes to car mods. I have a stock 02 EX V6 Sedan. I just got 18x8 rims and 225/40/18 rims and the front rims stick out almost an inch. The back rims only quarter to half an inch. Will a camber kit fix this, will there be wheel rub when I turn from it??

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP AND FOR ENTERTAINING THE GREENHORN!!!
af73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 17th, 2009, 08:54 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to chiefy
ahhh welcome... u didnt read good enough... its fixes the camber of ur rims and makes it more flush with the body of ur car... u buy it on the internet u should only buy the rear but a good alingment will fix ur problem... dont try to install it ur self if u dont know what it does... the more experienced will chime in

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chiefy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 17th, 2009, 08:54 PM   #3
tuckin

you have alot to learn. Figure out what camber and toe are on google first
coupeblack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old March 17th, 2009, 08:59 PM   #4
07/15/2009

http://www.slickcar.com/info_what_is_camber.asp
inyong1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 18th, 2009, 07:35 AM   #5
ready for more

just a quick idea camber is the angle that your wheel is in comparison to the road. By adding a "negative" camber you are able to fit larger wheels by making the wheel tuck into the fender. Without this camber the wheel might stick out past the fender causing it to rub when you hit bumps or go into a turn.
In relation to car control by adding negative camber you increase the wheels road contact patch during high speed cornering. This gives you more surface friction on the left side of the car when you are taking a right turn and vis-versa. This allows you to have better control in high speed corners simply because you have more tire contact. If you have too much then the maximum contact patch isn't utilized leaving you with the same problem as if you don't have enough.

Typically for our cars it just comes down to look.

Some Basic Examples:

the outside dashes represent wheels
Zero Camber:

||-car-||

Negative camber:

//-car-\\

Positive camber:

\\-car-//

This photo shows what happens to a wheel during a turn and kinda shows why negative camber can be a good thing if used correctly.
nixed007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 18th, 2009, 12:08 PM   #6

Thank you for all of the comments and suggestions.

What I'm gathering is that an alignment will be able to suck the front tires into the axle enough to keep the tires flush. When I DO lower the car I will possibly need a rear (and/or front) camber kit to correct the angle of the wheels on a vertical axis. Toe in is the angle at which the wheels are paralell to each other (toe out angled more outward, toe in angle inward etc.).

The suspension drop will affect both of these areas to more of a degree than just wider rims.

So....what I need to do is get my front end aligned and the shop should be able to pull the tires in closer to the axle. Am I correct?
af73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 20th, 2009, 08:13 AM   #7
ready for more

there is no camber adjustments on our cars or at least not enough of one that they can correct after a drop but what i am saying is there is no need to have it adjusted. Money is better spent else where.

The amount of camber after you drop your accord is -1.5 in the rear and -.5 in the front with a 2 inch drop. So your back will grip a bit more but you aren't going to notice major tire wear like everyone will tell you. I have had my setup with and without and noticed no difference
nixed007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 7th, 2009, 09:06 PM   #8

Whether you see camber wear on your tires or not isn't only affected by the angle. Keep in mind that softer and stickier tires will net better performance but will also show wear substantially quicker. Assuming this is a daily driver, you'll probably want to steer away from those. You'll be replacing them like mad.
J-SPEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in