Mix & Match suspension -installed w/ pics - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 20th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #1

Mix & Match suspension -installed w/ pics

Hey everyone.
I'm new to the site - I've always looked at diy's and other mods at this site but never really posted, and thought I'd make a contribution.

Last week my friend Keith helped me install a pair of Bilstein sports for the rear and inevitably stripped the rear endlinks.

I panicked since it was Sunday and I wasn't able to get a replacement anywhere - but I also had my eyes on Moog endlinks which were put on yesterday

Very beefy, makes the stock endlinks look like it came out of a little tykes' car. I think it's a must for any 6thgen, since I hear the stock endlinks snapping every now and then - and besides, it's not worth it trying to prevent them from stripping.

Comparison of front springs - Pretty sure they're 2" or more drop, instead of 1.8" or so advertised. Also note that the stock springs have been settled and the green ones have not.

To my surprise - the Koni yellow's had adjustable height. If I'd known, maybe I would have gone for both front and rear Koni's - I decided to go with Bilsteins for the rear since, well, among many other factors, I wanted to try something different and take a gamble. Also, it's a bit of a chore to get to the rear strut adjustment points.

Thoughts on the install - fairly simple, then again I had a good mechanic on my side. Cutting the endlinks was a pain though - hopefully the anti-seize that we put on would prevent that in the future, not that I'd change the Moogs anytime in the near future. I found out that the front driver's side strut was bent (will post pictures later) about 10-15degrees. Must've been a pothole. All the bushings and hardware were in good condition except for a strut bushing on the bent strut - I prepared by buying a set in advance.

Notable tools used -

*spring compressor - Loaner or could be bought for about ~$50
*Dremel - needs a rest after going through the endlinks - having a flexible head extension definitely helps.
*Two jacks - one is obvious, the other was a must for putting the front struts in.
*Buckets full of elbow grease - the parts aren't terribly heavy, but are located in such places where it's quite hard to work on unless the car is fully up in the air.

Cost

Feels like I've bought a new car for roughly a grand

-Koni fronts, bilstein rears, neuspeed springs - $717, neuspeed.com
-Moog Endlinks - ~$45, rockauto.com
-Bushings, front struts - ~$9 for a pair, overpriced local Honda dealer. I would recommend yourhondapartsunlimited.com

***Previously installed suspension parts***

-04 TL RSB ~20mm - ~$60 with bushings, brackets - oemacuraparts.com
-Neuspeed front strut bar - ~$120 (site no longer exists), about two years ago.

Driving impressions -

*Looks - I was deciding between sport or race, and I'm glad I went with neuspeed sport - looks good with stock rims, and for new york streets - really should not go any lower to save my front bumper and many other components under the car.

*Braking - I have not experienced dive yet, just the car coming to a calm halt. - way more exciting than it sounds.

*Acceleration - I have not experienced squat yet, just the car accelerating. - Much like the above. The traction improvement is material, and inspires confidence.

*Ride - I have a choice in the front - On the firmest settings, I want to go autocrossing. On softest, the ride is improved and still responsive - overall I'm glad I have adjustability, though it's only for the front.

*Handling - It's, a different car. The car will not stop asking for a turbo/supercharger.

I'm very happy with the car, and wanted to thank everyone at this forum for that little push I needed to go ahead with the swap. Without the diy's and the feedbacks on products, my car would just be sitting there waiting a quiet retirement, and instead, it's got a new lease on life. Thanks again everyone.

-Park
doogguhbee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 20th, 2009, 06:10 PM   #2
Destroyer of Tires

I was a little scared by your title but your parts are quality. Very nice.

Doctor_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 20th, 2009, 07:32 PM   #3
4.0L

^^ haha...yea I was thinking front suspension was gonna be different from rear suspension...

Can you feel any difference in the stock endlinks vs the Moog ones? Or are they just better because they're thicker?
VietNinjaJ30A1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old July 20th, 2009, 08:51 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to SofaKingCG2
I'm gonna agree about the concern with the title. But very nice post, very informative.
SofaKingCG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 20th, 2009, 10:57 PM   #5

Yeah I was reluctant about the koni/bilstein mixup, but I'm glad I did it- instead of going with Bils all around and just wondering what Koni's would feel like. I'm happy with both brands.

I can't say much about the moogs, since I installed it along with the struts/springs, but considering how beefy the TL RSB is, the chopstick-like factory endlinks looked very vulnerable.

my logic is that, since the endlinks connect the sway bar to the frame, it's very much like an extension of the sway bar itself, and moogs should provide a good performance gain, since they're about 2.5X thicker
Old July 21st, 2009, 08:23 AM   #6

Bent front passenger side strut - I wonder how long it's been bent for
Old August 18th, 2009, 11:57 PM   #7
NSX dreamer

hey congrats on the new setup. i bet it does indeed drive like a new car!

amazing that the stock strut was that bent. what are the 9 dollar bushing pairs that you mentioned you needed? and where did you make the cuts on the stock endlinks when removing them? does cutting them really help remove them?

I just bought a 24mm progress bar for 75 bucks (used) and have been struggling removing the stock rear endlinks.
Artistotle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 19th, 2009, 12:51 AM   #8
FAILLLLLLLL

hmmm so different suspension on the front and rear would be bad?? cuz i was thinkin about doing that since my back is low enuff for me but i would like the front to be lower
whiteV6penguin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 5th, 2009, 08:16 PM   #9

Thanks Aristotle - and yes, the rubber bushing was a bit ruptured, so thankfully I bought the right part. As for endlinks, I cut the bolt diagonally. and it indeed makes the removal easier. I've heard that Moog endlinks are a must for your new progress bar. That bar should be sweet - need a little extra caution in rain or snow though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteV6penguin View Post
hmmm so different suspension on the front and rear would be bad?? cuz i was thinkin about doing that since my back is low enuff for me but i would like the front to be lower
Not if you ask me - Thankfully the Koni shocks on my front seem to have lower perches than the Bilsteins on the rear, so the car sits a little lower in the front(with same springs). I'll try to post pics soon.

Also, the adjustable perches on the Koni's allow you to go lower if you wanted, but i prefer the bilsteins.

Blurry cellphone pic - I'll do a photoshoot soon

The fronts are a tiny bit lower than the rear -enough to remove the boat look from up close.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 7th, 2009, 12:33 AM   #10
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Which Is the best endlinks on that website
skatingclaybird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in