D2 racing,Spring rate help.. - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 31st, 2009, 04:15 PM   #1
Boosted

Arrow D2 racing,Spring rate help..

This is for others who are ridding on D2 Racing Coilovers,OR possibly others who have hard,soft capabilities.

I am going to be doing ALOT of highway driving now. and my current set-up is on the hardest settings,about 2finger gap all around.It rides HORRIBLE on the highway,very rough.

When i go to the softest settings,nothing seems to change.

just something to deal with coilovers or is there something wrong?
i need it to be somewhat smooth..
my new 235/45 tires helped some.
Official Slammed Club Member #51-Stage 3
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1nonlyaccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 31st, 2009, 05:48 PM   #2
LaLaLaLa

Send a message via AIM to stupidaznmunkey
i recently adjusted by ksports to softest (i was riding stiffest in all 4 corners) and the road feel only makes a slight difference in that you dont feel every bump youre going over, but in terms of the dips and stuff or the freeway ride, your spring rate is going to dictate that.

you cant really do much to change that...

another maybe possible thing you might've done is adjusted the actual spring itself when you lowered your car - instead of adjusting the overall height of the coilover. if you compressed the spring more when you lowered your car, then that will affect your ride quality.
stupidaznmunkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 5th, 2009, 10:27 PM   #3
Destroyer of Tires

Ahhh yes... The advice of Doctor_X once again goes unnoticed...

I will say this, and let this be a warning to anyone who is looking to upgrade their suspension, Taiwanese coilovers, like these, are crap. Their valving is very poor, and that is why they don't do anything when you turn the adjustment knob. Basically when they say "36 way adjustable" they really mean 36 damper settings, and just because the damper "clicks" it doesn't mean you've actually changed ANYTHING internally. You'll actually find that most Taiwanese coilovers have just two damper settings; open and closed. That would explain why you only feel a slight difference from full stiff to full soft.

The only solution to your problem is to have them valved CORRECTLY, and that means you can't have D2 do it because they don't even know what the hell they're doing. So basically you're kind of screwed to be honest...

Moral of the story: Save your cash and do things correctly the first time so you don't have issues like this!

Doctor_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old September 6th, 2009, 08:16 AM   #4
Boosted

Thanks^. I think im going to switch to Tein SS..buddy has them on his 6thgen and he said they ride great.
But what would you recommend for an OEM feeling? Im currently dropped to only about 2finger gap,but still want possibility to go lower if desired..
Old September 6th, 2009, 01:35 PM   #5

gud thing I didn't buy ksport or d2..but since u know all bout coilovers..juss wanna know ur thoughts on tanabe pro 0c coilovers which I recently purchased da other day mr. doctor x?!
gflip456 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 6th, 2009, 02:25 PM   #6
Destroyer of Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nonlyaccord View Post
Thanks^. I think im going to switch to Tein SS..buddy has them on his 6thgen and he said they ride great.
But what would you recommend for an OEM feeling? Im currently dropped to only about 2finger gap,but still want possibility to go lower if desired..
I can vouch for Tein SS coilovers. I have a set on my car. I even went to a Taiwanese brand in the past and went back to them because they rode so much better. The do ride like a stock car, your friend was not lying. The only thing is that they don't go super low. Mine are on the lowest setting and I actually removed one spring seat from the front two coilovers to lower it a tiny bit more. See sig for a picture reference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gflip456 View Post
gud thing I didn't buy ksport or d2..but since u know all bout coilovers..juss wanna know ur thoughts on tanabe pro 0c coilovers which I recently purchased da other day mr. doctor x?!
Tanabe coilovers are well built and are one of the few companies that still makes there stuff completely in Japan. They will probably ride similar to Tein SS coilovers and have similar ride height properties. I say go for it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
What is

Doctor_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 6th, 2009, 02:44 PM   #7

I'll take ur word for it..thanks doc
gflip456 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 7th, 2009, 12:48 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to AMR Engineering
You have 2 things working against you which is poor valving, but also the wrong spring rate for your application. Since you are not lowered too much you can lower the spring rate on your setup, and that will help a little bit in terms of ride quality. There valving is soo out of wack it's hard to say if your setup is underdamped or overdamped.

The d2 setups we have replaced on our accord customers cars have all been well over 11k front springs. If I remember right the spring rate is like 11/7 or 12/7, and those rates matched with there valving really equates to a much harsher ride on the street.

The Tein SS is a little bit more forgiving on the street, but if you lower the car with the setup past the 2" mark you will sacrifice ride quality. In other words, the tein SS and basic are good for mild lowering, and something more forgiving for the street.

You can look at the spring and pm me what the numbers on the spring say and I can tell you the exact spring rate your running. I might have some spring laying around that you can try out if you pay the shipping if that solves the problem.
AMR Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 7th, 2009, 12:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nonlyaccord View Post
You gotta sacrifice a little bit of comfort if your going to lower the car.

If you want something close to the OEM ride then just get some good lowering springs made for the oem dampers. The Eibach sportlines ride pretty decent, and the oem dampers seem to last quite a long time on them for the most part.

There isn't many coilovers out there that is going to give you the OEM ride. The whole point of going to a good coilover system is to improve performance, and allow you to lower the car properly without having the ride be overly harsh for what you plan on doing. A lot coilovers out there are valved specifically for racing, and comfort is not even part of the game plan for most companies.
Old September 7th, 2009, 01:07 PM   #10
Boosted

^ appreciate the info.And yes you are correct,My most comfortable suspension set up was some H&R sport springs with monroe shocks.the drop was only 1.2/1.5" and i had 19s at the time. But I bought these coilovers for a ridiculously CHEAP price used. Thats why im not too upset.The ride has gotten a LIL better after letting it stay on the softest setting for a few days.
But my 1st upgrade plans are getting innovative mounts.since my suspension is decently good for now.
Old September 7th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #11

I actually find that they ride worse on the softest setting LOL. Most of my customers who I had replaced those type of coilovers were running at almost full hard if not full hard at all times due to the fact the softest setting would be bouncy. In other words they were using the adjustability to help control the springs, but it reduced ride comfort considerably.

I am not surprised you got them for cheap, they are cheap, especially used sets. So I can see your point of not caring too much. Luckily your no where near the rideheight that most blow at. Not sure how long they will last even on such a mild lowering, but should be much longer than most that ride slammed on the same setup. It's so hard to say with that brand, it's truly hit and miss in both quality and driveability on the street.
Old September 7th, 2009, 09:20 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to YounGLeMoNs
tein ss ftw but im not satisfied with the drop for the front. i wanna take out one perch but im scared it might mess something up with the extra stress perhaps? :sad:
YounGLeMoNs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in