Coilover Decision Help!! - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 21st, 2010, 05:53 PM   #1
FuzedAccord

Coilover Decision Help!!

Ok so this if for you suspension heads:
I saved up some money to buy coilovers and I'm in a dilemma between AMR and F&F type 2 or 2.5. I don't want to spend almost 1500 for AMR's but I know it will be worth it. Also I've heard really good reviews on F&F type 2 and 2.5's.......

WELL ANYWAYS,

Heres my real problem...........
Im running 19x8.5 rims with I believe +17 offset and +30 in the front. And I rub my rear tires everywhere. With or without people in my back seat I rub. So I wanted to ask this question for you suspension heads:

If I get coilovers with a good spring rate, say 10 or 12 in the rear will it still rub if I drive into a dip or bump? Also with the dampening systems on both coilovers will they help me stop rubbing? My tires poke out the back fender about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch.

Please help me decide which ones to get! And please answer my questions so I can decide what to do!!!
Thanks in advance!!!
FuzedAccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 22nd, 2010, 08:06 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzedAccord View Post
Ok so this if for you suspension heads:
I saved up some money to buy coilovers and I'm in a dilemma between AMR and F&F type 2 or 2.5. I don't want to spend almost 1500 for AMR's but I know it will be worth it. Also I've heard really good reviews on F&F type 2 and 2.5's.......

WELL ANYWAYS,

Heres my real problem...........
Im running 19x8.5 rims with I believe +17 offset and +30 in the front. And I rub my rear tires everywhere. With or without people in my back seat I rub. So I wanted to ask this question for you suspension heads:

If I get coilovers with a good spring rate, say 10 or 12 in the rear will it still rub if I drive into a dip or bump? Also with the dampening systems on both coilovers will they help me stop rubbing? My tires poke out the back fender about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch.

Please help me decide which ones to get! And please answer my questions so I can decide what to do!!!
Thanks in advance!!!
I am pretty sure that you will still rub when you hit a dip on the road. There is another post here on how to fix your rubbing issue

I went with Tein SS-P and it rides really nice. Fairly close to OEM feel. Those F&Fs are really stiff (I had those for a while), but it seems you prefer a stiffer ride anyway.
91cb7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 22nd, 2010, 10:06 AM   #3

tein super streets are really good for daily driving and occassional canyon runs. had them in my old accord
phillykaooo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old September 27th, 2010, 11:21 PM   #4
FuzedAccord

Blaahhh........I left this thread open for about a week and no help??????????????????????????? Maybe I'm in the wrong section.....
Old September 27th, 2010, 11:56 PM   #5
Destroyer of Tires

No this is the right thread location. The questions you are asking are quite subjective, and/or people do not know what they are talking about so they choose not to reply, and/or people are too lazy to respond.

It really depends on what you want or expect from your suspension. I will tell you now that if you called up Andy at AMR and said I want suspension that doesn't move AT ALL when I go over dips he'd build you a set that would be stiff as **** and make your car handle like garbage but at least it wouldn't rub as much... His standard coilovers handle really nicely and absorb lots of impact.

It really just depends on your set up. I think what you are experiencing has nothing to do with the suspension actually. With your wheel specs you should be fine as long as you take the necessary steps to prevent parts from rubbing. Did you roll your fenders? Cut the bumper tab off? Relocate the rear bumper screw? Did you shave down the inside of the bumper? I'm guessing that's where it's rubbing and if that's the case it will fade with time because your tires will just melt off any of the plastic bumper cover that they come in contact with. Eventually you won't rub at all.

People will tell you they've had good experiences with this brand, so-so experiences with another brand, and bad experiences with that brand. It's really up to you to decide what brand choice is right for your needs and your budget. We can't really decide that for you. Personally I've been on stock, stock + eBay coilover sleeves, Tein Super Streets, older style Function Form Type II coilovers, back to my Tein Super Streets, and now my AMRs. I would say that my preferences would be ranked like this:

AMR > Tein > F2 > stock > stock + eBay coilover sleeves

The last three are pretty close together in their grouping. The AMRs and Teins were much better quality and gave a better sense of the road. They also cost a bit more so you should really think about the quality vs. cost ratio.

You get what you pay for.

Doctor_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 28th, 2010, 01:31 PM   #6
FuzedAccord

Thanks alot doctorx......I was actually hoping you would answer my question since I made this thread....I've read your reviews and answers to questions and it seems to me you been through almost all the suspension setups around. About your answers to my questions: Well I have a bc2 bodykit on, with shaved tabs and screws removed. Its actually my fender that my wheels are rubbing, and yes they are rolled all the way in. Its only when I take a really big dip I get the rubbing. I hate it because it worrys me when I hear it all the time. So I've saved up some money to buy coilovers and was aiming for AMR or FF type 2 or 2.5. But I really need some stiff coilovers or something to help my rubbing issue. Do you think some say 12k/10k would help my issue? I really want to get my facts straight before I go blow over 1k on coilovers........oh yeh btw right now I'm on stock suspension with 115k. But ride like new! Thanks alot doctorx.
Old September 28th, 2010, 02:18 PM   #7
Destroyer of Tires

Oh the reason you're rubbing then is because your wheels aren't cambered in enough. Once you buy coilovers and lower your car the wheels will just camber themselves inward automatically and you shouldn't rub anymore. The stiffness really comes down to compression dampening. F2s come with similar rates but they will ride very differently than AMRs. The AMRs are good at soaking up dips and bumps in the road, whereas those F2s might just shoot you over them. One plus to Andy's coilovers is not only are they well made, but he has a lifetime warranty. F2 only offers a one year warranty.

If you tell Andy that you need something stiff, especially when the suspension compresses and rebounds, he will be able to build you something that will suit your needs for sure.

Old September 28th, 2010, 02:56 PM   #8
hmmm what next?

^ i know you like them but when i tried talking with them they never even responded back?
shonda1989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 28th, 2010, 02:59 PM   #9
Destroyer of Tires

Did you email them or call them?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in