Help Picking New Tires!!! - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 18th, 2010, 04:43 PM   #1

Help Picking New Tires!!!

So I recently got some used Rota Subzero's, 18's with wheels for $400 shipped from an awesome dude on the forum, Djbleaken! There's not much tread left on them and I need to get some new tires. Right now there are Nexen tires at 235/40/18. My stock wheels were at 205/65/15 so I want to keep the outside diameter pretty close. I was thinking about 225/35/18 because the tires now poke out on the front.
Xencer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 18th, 2010, 05:33 PM   #2

http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp
1ruffryder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 18th, 2010, 07:25 PM   #3

Wow, thanks for the input, +1, exactly what I needed, especially since I have the measurements I want already.

I was thinking more of what BRAND of tires are good, what kind of tread, and opinions on brands.

BTW I used http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Old October 19th, 2010, 09:08 AM   #4

Nexxens are good for daily driving. I have a set of nexxen n5000 on my car and they drive great! Super quiet, handle decent, and have very high tread wear!

Go with a 225/40/18.
swollen_cu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 20th, 2010, 09:38 AM   #5

Do not get Nexxens. They are some of the worst tires you can buy, aside from the cheapest random chinese tires you can find.

There is next to no info here... Do you care more about traction, wear, price... Do you live in a area where it gets really cold or snows? Whats the width of your wheels?

For a daily driver, id recommend Dunlop SP Sport Signatures... In whatever size is appropriate. If its a 7.5 or 8" wide wheel, go with 225/40/18.
ericspda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 20th, 2010, 12:49 PM   #6
Banned

x2, nexxens are junk. plenty of people buy them to stretch cause they are POS' and easily replaceable. they're sad excuses for a tire. the only thing good going for them is the price.

would you jeopardize your safety for a cheaper tire?
meow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 20th, 2010, 01:57 PM   #7

My wheels are 7.5". But I want the tire to be more narrow than what it is now.

Well I didn't know that, thats just the tires that they came on. But I have noticed a lot of torque steer. And also Nexen tires are Korean lol

I care the most about traction/handling, price would be 2nd and then wear, but I want to get at least 20k miles on them. I hear mixed things about the falkens 912.

I live just north of Atlanta, GA. Windy and hilly roads, some rain, maybe some ice but rarely any snow.
Old October 20th, 2010, 02:17 PM   #8

235/40/18 is too wide for a 7.5" wheel, thats on the limit of the widest you can fit.

The reason for the 225/40/18 is due to cost... Its generally significantly cheaper to get that size over 235/40/18 or 215/40/18.

20K miles shouldn't be a issue for most all-season tires, but you probably couldn't get that out of some real soft tires.

These are my #1 recommendation.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

And #2...
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

The Z1 Star's are well known to be excellent tires, and the price is justified. You should expect 10-20K out of them with a good alignment, if you're not doing burnouts. Obviously this is driving style dependent. They wont perform well in snow or ice.

The SP Sport 01's are a good all-season tire that will last you longer, but give you less traction. This would be a more civilized tire for daily use, but have noticeably less traction.
ericspda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 20th, 2010, 10:15 PM   #9

Alright, well thanks for the info, I'll probably go with the all-season ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in