5 Lug Conversion: I need GOOD info on the process. - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 4th, 2011, 04:17 PM   #1
Going back to my roots.

Send a message via AIM to hothonda55
Question 5 Lug Conversion: I need GOOD info on the process.

I've searched and read threads on here pertaining to the 5 lug conversion. My friend has an 01 4 cyl coupe and wants to upgrade to 5 lug, keeping the drums in the rear. The wheel selection is just so much better for the 5 lug pattern.

As far as I've read, he needs:
Font - 01-02 V6 Knee (some call it knuckle) assemblies including the hubs/brakes/etc, new studs.

Rear - CR-V drum covers, Prelude hubs, new studs.

This is all I know that points to a successful install. The two questions I have are: is there anything that I'm missing and are the axles different in the 4 and 6 cylinder (and if they are just that make a difference)? I know the part numbers are different, but sometimes that just to differentiate yr/model.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: need studs, too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by hothonda55; April 4th, 2011 at 04:44 PM..
hothonda55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 4th, 2011, 04:30 PM   #2
Brad

Send a message via AIM to bdeitemeyer
Why on earth would he want to keep the rear drums?

There are numerous compatible 5-lug setups that will work (99-03 Acura TLs/CLs, 98-02 Accord V6s). The EX models will have the rear disk brakes, the LX models should have the rear drum brakes. You don't need to change out the axles, don't worry about it.
bdeitemeyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 4th, 2011, 04:35 PM   #3
Going back to my roots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeitemeyer View Post
You don't need to change out the axles, don't worry about it.
Are you positive? We're going to get all of the parts together and do it in one shot so I want to make sure everything is right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old April 4th, 2011, 04:40 PM   #4
Brad

I've already completed a 5-lug conversion on my Accord. Yes, I'm positive.
Old April 4th, 2011, 04:43 PM   #5
Going back to my roots.

Quote:
I've already completed a 5-lug conversion on my Accord. Yes, I'm positive.
Ok, so with everything I listed, we're set? I didn't read anything about swapping brake lines so I'm assuming we just use his.

Oh, and I forgot to list the studs, but that's obvious.

Old April 4th, 2011, 04:47 PM   #6
Brad

I still don't understand the point behind the rear drums idea, but the parts list looks sufficient.
Old April 4th, 2011, 04:53 PM   #7
Going back to my roots.

Quote:
I still don't understand the point behind the rear drums idea, but the parts list looks sufficient.
Haha, it's only because he doesn't care about having rear discs, but really wants access to different wheels.

Appreciate the help.

Old April 4th, 2011, 05:01 PM   #8
Brad

Well you're the one helping him, you should know better. The price you get the parts for probably won't be any different, yet he's wanting an inferior product. Do it right the first time.
Old April 4th, 2011, 05:58 PM   #9
Going back to my roots.

Well, it's up to him....I only offer my help and my opinion. In my opinion would it be better/more flashy to have rear discs? Sure, but I know he'll pass because I know he doesn't want or need that. We're going to keep the conversion as simple as possible.
Old April 4th, 2011, 09:46 PM   #10
jsiriusvtec

um........buying components made specifically for your car is alot easier than mixing & matching....and honestly, how certain are you that the those parts will fit and function properly?

also, knuckles are the same for I4 & I6 right? new wheel-bearings (recommended), hubs, and a shop press could fix all that mess

p.s. V6 hubs from Honda come w/ studs installed
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 5th, 2011, 09:44 AM   #11
Going back to my roots.

Well I know the CR-V/Prelude parts will work. The only other good info I got into was from another site and that's exactly what the guy used.

How do you know the I4 and V6 knuckles are the same? Nothing I found told me one way or the other so I just assumed they were different. If they are the same, then yea...bearings/hubs would be much easier than replacing the whole assembly.

Edit: The rotors have different diameters...so it's not that easy. That would mean the calipers are also different.

Right, studs do come on the hubs. I wasn't thinking of that at the time of the post.

Last edited by hothonda55; April 5th, 2011 at 10:10 AM..
Old April 10th, 2011, 09:14 PM   #12

If yoUr asking questions like this then don't do it! Your making it to much of a hassel. They will bolt staight up bottom line. The v6 fronts are bigger than i4, rear disc are the same sizeas the i4 just 5 lug. I don't know who wouldn't want the rear disc not only do they look sexy but also help you stop better than drums. I'm looking for the 5 lug too
Jdm egizzle 6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 11th, 2011, 05:37 PM   #13
Going back to my roots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdm egizzle 6 View Post
If yoUr asking questions like this then don't do it! Your making it to much of a hassel.

Did you take a hit off the crack pipe before starting your post? This is the whole reason why discussion forums were started....so that enthusiasts can come together to share information and to learn about the cars that they love. I'm asking questions because I know nothing about it. That's the point of asking questions...are you following me? I'd rather learn on here from people who have done it than go into it blind and have problems. I'm not making it a hassle at all. I have a parts list that NOW works without using a rear disc ***he doesn't want the rear disc*** How many times do I have to type it? His car, his choice, period. Don't let my questions or post count fool you. I've been working on Honda suspensions for 11 years, but when it comes to something new that I'm unfamiliar with, I want the right information.

Old April 11th, 2011, 07:53 PM   #14

^
Mission008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in