Custom 6x9 Adaptors for Rear Deck - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By jconnway

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 30th, 2012, 10:10 PM   #1
James

Custom 6x9 Adaptors for Rear Deck

As some of you may know I've built a nice sound system in my Accord with mostly Pioneer products. I started with a head unit and over the years have collected all sorts of Pioneer speakers, and car audio installation has become a side job for me now. I am particularly fond of the now discontinued "Premier" Line, even though the newer speakers are identical to the last made Premiers.

To make a long story short, our cars come from the factory with 2 6x9 speaker holes in the rear deck, making it an ideal place for a pair of heavy duty coaxials. I ran the same pair of Pioneer Premiers, which in their day cost 300 bucks, for the past 5 years, and a few months back, there was some sort of catastrophic coil failure on the right side and the speaker cone started separating from the spider... there was no saving this speaker.

So I've been rolling around with only one rear fill speaker (not that I could tell, each front door has 8 speakers in it). Today I was cleaning out my shelves and I came across 2 boxes of these guys:

I used to run 4 inch mids in the A pillars, but they were just too damn big and obtrusive. But I noticed that they are 4ohm, so I could run them in parallel and produce a 2ohm load on my 4 channel amp... which is perfect, given that it operates just within their maximum RMS range at that impedance.

Anyway, I started by tracing the busted Premier by-nine on some cardboard. Then, I made two 4 inch circles in the template to see if the speakers would fit.

They do! Tomorrow I'll make wooden versions of the brackets with 1/4 inch plywood. Should be perfectly sturdy. After that its a simple matter of a few wires to make the pairs in parallel and then plugging them in.. I'll update as I progress.
Advertisement

Old July 1st, 2012, 02:53 AM   #2

Nice!
bnkrupt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 1st, 2012, 05:16 AM   #3
M![email protected] \_(ツ)_/

^^ Agreed. Info on the amp that powers them? Also, interested in what your front sound stage consists of.
HEcreated487 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old July 1st, 2012, 05:45 PM   #4
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnkrupt View Post
Nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEcreated487 View Post
^^ Agreed. Info on the amp that powers them? Also, interested in what your front sound stage consists of.
Thanks! Front stage is 4 6.75 Premier mids and 4 Premier soft dome tweeters (in each door).

I'm running two GM-D9500F four channels for the mids and highs. One amp is dedicated to be bridged for the 6.75s. The other amp runs the 8 tweeters off two channels and now, the four 4 inch mids in the rear deck on the other channels. Everything stable at 2ohm.

Got everything done in one day!

Wanted to make sure the baskets cleared the holes, I had to do a little adjusting.

Not the cleanest cuts, but for freehand, it will do.

Shot them silver (but they'll be behind the stock grilles anyway, which I spray painted black years ago... if you have a grey interior like me, spraying the rear deck covers looks really nice)

Everything fits real well...

My brother and I wired them in parallel to two ohms. Everything in my system is soldered and heat shrunk properly... no crimp connectors here!

They fit in the stock holes absolutely perfectly.

And here they are from the back:

The only problem I encountered was that the crossover was set too low... the old Premier 6x9s could handle MUCH lower notes, and even though these little guys can take the power, they bottom out and the cones smack. Easy fix, I run a real nice Clarion processor that makes everything so simple... The new cross is over 85hz or so, so I can play at max volume (clean volume, not clipping) and not worry about damaging the speakers.
Old July 1st, 2012, 07:29 PM   #5
The name is Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconnway View Post
Thanks! Front stage is 4 6.75 Premier mids and 4 Premier soft dome tweeters (in each door).
I'm curious on how you pulled this off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CrackerTeg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 1st, 2012, 08:13 PM   #6
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerTeg View Post
I'm curious on how you pulled this off.
Like this

This is actually an old picture, when I had a stock hood! and I was super into the K/N sticker apparently :shrug:

But yeah I've had these doors for about 2 1/2 years now, they look more or less the same, a little paint chipping here and there and the passenger side is cracking up but hey its my daily, I can always re-do or un-do or make something new
k24, HEcreated487, bnkrupt and 2 others like this.
Old July 1st, 2012, 08:21 PM   #7
The name is Z

Holy hell! It looks good but I'm wondering why?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 1st, 2012, 08:29 PM   #8
James

Why what? Have that many speakers?
jconnway is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 1st, 2012, 09:35 PM   #9
The name is Z

Yeah. Why that many speakers?

Old July 2nd, 2012, 03:00 AM   #10
Slammed & Stunning

Send a message via AIM to MatthewYu
LOL DAYUM, I didn't know you got down with slaps like that..
Yea man.. so many speakers..
MatthewYu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 2nd, 2012, 04:22 AM   #11
James

Haha this is nothing! At one point I had 4 12s in a 4th order hand pass with a blow through in a full custom rear deck... That SLAPPED. I used to be flexing the rear windshield a ton but I've since downsized to 2 12s.

I have this many speakers because I got them for a great price, it looks cool, sounds better and I build systems on the side so I figured I should have a fairly impressive one of my own.

I drove in to work this morning with the doors off, so just the rear deck was playing (which if you think about it is 4 mid range drivers and 4 full range tweeters). I'm putting 100 clean watts to each pair through 14awg speaker wire and man do these sound amazing!
Old July 2nd, 2012, 11:13 AM   #12
Slammed & Stunning

Send a message via AIM to MatthewYu
Jealous
MatthewYu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 2nd, 2012, 03:27 PM   #13
James

Everything is holding up great I must say, so I'll put the grilles back on and call it a job well done

Old July 3rd, 2012, 06:28 AM   #14
Carpe Diem

How do they sound compared to a pair of 6x9s?
ikethegreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 3rd, 2012, 03:30 PM   #15
James

better. By far. I have enough mid bass as it is with my doors and the 2 pro series 12s are thunderous through the behind the seat port... These 4s are some of the warmest, clearest speakers I've run in this car.

I had them in these huge A pillars a year ago and absolutely loved them but the pillars were too bulky it cut visibility in a bad way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in