continuous 12 v to power plug? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By nighthawk04v6
  • 1 Post By CrackerTeg
  • 1 Post By thisaznboi88
  • 1 Post By michaellowrider
  • 1 Post By wingdreamer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 8th, 2012, 08:50 AM   #1
Wingdreamer

continuous 12 v to power plug?

*****SEE MY SOLUTION IN THIS THREAD FURTHER DOWN. PROBLEM FIXED AND IT WILL TAKE YOU 15 MINUTES!!!!
Love my Accord, hate the fact that Honda kills the 12 volts to the cig lighter/power outlet on the console when you turn the ign off. I like to leave things plugged in to charge them while I'm out of the car. Finally getting around to dealing with this issue.... Anyone know where there is a circuit/wire under the dash that I can tee into that is 12 volt live with ign on or off?

Last edited by wingdreamer; December 7th, 2013 at 04:15 PM..
wingdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 8th, 2012, 10:09 AM   #2
Bobby Lane Racing

no car manufacturer leaves 12v power still running with car off. You would have to tap straight into the battery. Which is stupid imo because if you don't have a switch to kill it, than it will draw all your juice.
Kschwiggy likes this.
nighthawk04v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 8th, 2012, 10:24 AM   #3
J35 6Spd

you'll run a high risk of draining the battery out... but there should be a 12V continuous line somewhere in the ignition/key circuit. Afterall, how else would the power turn on when you turn the key? The line may not be 12V though... could be 3 or 5v.

The much safer route is to tap directly into the battery. Get a battery terminal that has multiple wire ports and replace your positive terminal. Run the line, with a FUSE, into the car and then you have your continuous power.
Kschwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old August 8th, 2012, 10:38 AM   #4
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

There are several unused fuse slots that have constant power, get a fuse adaptor(which Advance and other sotres sell) and run off that as long as the load is 20A or less.
NVA-AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 8th, 2012, 11:56 AM   #5

op, you mean the functions you get in euro cars?
akajjang9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 8th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #6
The name is Z

Most older cars had what he's looking for. Not just euros.
Jakefrom likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CrackerTeg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 8th, 2012, 04:35 PM   #7

Charging a cell phone partially or an mp3 player... your never gonna drain it unless you needed a new battery anyway, especially V6's. I wish it stayed on as well.

2005 Honda Accord EX I-4 5AT
Redondo Red Pearl/ Black

1996 Harley-Davidson FXD
Way too many mods....
Sedan66MT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 9th, 2012, 12:15 AM   #8
Wingdreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk04v6 View Post
no car manufacturer leaves 12v power still running with car off. You would have to tap straight into the battery. Which is stupid imo because if you don't have a switch to kill it, than it will draw all your juice.
My 2004 Montana power plugs are live constant. Actually its only been my Honda(s) that shut off with the key... Just wanting to charge my blue tooth etc... small low draw items..... Wouldn't mind knowing where in the fuse panel I can find that constant on source to tee into.......
Old August 14th, 2012, 01:37 PM   #9

^^
the Ford truck at my job got the power 24/7 too
huffy08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 14th, 2012, 09:14 PM   #10

^^^ true my gmc truck from work keeps it on thats how i charge my work printer and laptop
DatKidJay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 7th, 2013, 04:14 PM   #11
Wingdreamer

Drives me nuts that I cant charge my bluetooth or phone when I shut off the car. Found the solution and its really simple. I did the below process on my sons 2003 Accord EXL, 4 cylinder, 4 door automatic....

WARNING: This worked for me on my car, but I have no idea if your year and model of Accord uses the same wiring. Proceed at your own risk!

1)Turn off ign and remove key. Pull the left fuse cover AND the kick panel out to fully expose the fuse panel.
From this point forward, "left" and "right" is based on looking directly at the fuse block, straight on....

2) Remove the relay in the top right corner, closest to firewall, in spot #32, marked "acc". On my car its a black relay, to the right of a brown relay, and to the left of an empty relay spot.
Look closely, there are 4 slots in the fuse block that the relay came out of (2 vertical on the left, and 2 horizontal on the right side). These slots would coincide with the pins on the relay you removed.

3) Here's the simplicity of this....I made up a jumper wire that consisted of a 2 inch long piece of 16 gauge wire, bare each end and crimp on a flat spade connector on each end.

4) Plug one spade end into the far left vertical slot and the other spade into the adjoining vertical slot to the right. **Do not use the two horizontal slots on the right side of the block**
You have now jumped 12 volts battery voltage directly to the wiring going to your 2 power plugs.

5) Leave the ignition turned off.... Plug a cell phone adapter into the front power plug to see that the led on it powers up. . Unplug one end of the jumper and you will see that the adapter led will shut off. Re-attach jumper wire and adapter will power up again. Remove the accessory fuse (in spot #9) and you will see the adapter power down again. Reinstall the fuse, powers up again. (relay may have been bypassed, but the circuit is still fused and protected).

6) Make sure that the loop of wire that you made up is tucked in and wont catch on the fuse panel cover when reinstalling, and reinstall the kick panel and fuse box cover. Try turning the ign on and off. led on adapter should stay on at all times. Toss the unused relay in the glove box as a spare.

You're done!

I cant believe it was this simple to do. I will be doing the same mod to my 06 Accord this weekend!

*****Update: Just did my 2006 Accord, V6 EXL w/Nav.... Exact same process as the 03. Relay was in the same spot, jumped the same 2 connections and same great results!*****

Last edited by wingdreamer; January 6th, 2014 at 09:41 AM..
Old December 7th, 2013, 04:36 PM   #12
Honda enthusiast

Relays are for dummies lol. I wonder what that smell is? Oh shi# is my car in fire?!!!!
michaellowrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 10th, 2013, 01:39 AM   #13

A picture would help with this little diy. lol
Ilovemyvtx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 11th, 2013, 09:44 AM   #14
Honda enthusiast

This will cause a parasitic draw on the battery, jumper wires are for emergencies only!
Old December 11th, 2013, 10:06 AM   #15

what the heck is a jumper wire?
michaellowrider likes this.
thisaznboi88 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 12th, 2013, 08:20 AM   #16
Honda enthusiast

Jumping two terminals with a wire, that usually has spade or aligator connectors, is called using a jumper wire. When a relay fails, such as a fuel pump relay, you can use a jumper wire to make the connection so you arent stuck on the side of the road. It mustn't stay connected though, or parasitic draw will kill the battery.
thisaznboi88 likes this.
Old December 12th, 2013, 09:29 AM   #17

thanks for the explaination
thisaznboi88 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 13th, 2013, 07:52 AM   #18

So my Chevy that has a continuous 12v outlet, from the factory, running a low powered led causes unnecessary parasitic battery drain? It's simply connecting two wires to create a continuous power supply. You don't have to be an electrical engineer to figure that out.
Ilovemyvtx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 13th, 2013, 09:24 AM   #19
Honda enthusiast

New vehicles don't come with jumper wires from the factory, but whatever not my car!
Old January 5th, 2014, 11:25 AM   #20
Wingdreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemyvtx View Post
A picture would help with this little diy. lol
let me know how to post pics on here and I will.

As for the other posts regarding issues with the relay..... a relay is not a fuse, nor does it protect a circuit. It is simply an on/off switch that controls power to a device. It does not "blow' when overloaded. That is the job of the fuse, which is still in place, and protecting the circuit. As for killing the battery....I have had this in for over 2 months now in 2 different Accords with no issues starting (-24C here on Thursday night!). It can only drain your battery if you decide to plug in a high draw accessory into your power outlet and leave the car. Nothing plugged into the power ports equals no draw on the electrical system (except oem keep alive memories).

Last edited by wingdreamer; January 5th, 2014 at 11:35 AM..
Old January 5th, 2014, 11:33 AM   #21
Wingdreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemyvtx View Post
So my Chevy that has a continuous 12v outlet, from the factory, running a low powered led causes unnecessary parasitic battery drain? It's simply connecting two wires to create a continuous power supply. You don't have to be an electrical engineer to figure that out.
True, but your ECMs and clock/radio memory will kill a battery WAY before a single led indicator on our cell phone charger plugged into your power port.... No worries!!
Old January 5th, 2014, 05:44 PM   #22
Wingdreamer

You can see where I removed the relay. The 2 vertical slots to the left (12 volts in/out), and the other 2 slots (horizontal, on the right) are 12 volt supply/trigger for the relay, and a ground.

simple jumper wire installed, using ONLY the 2 left vertical slots.

Last edited by wingdreamer; January 6th, 2014 at 09:44 AM..
Old January 5th, 2014, 05:47 PM   #23
Wingdreamer

see fuse #9, near the lower right. this is the 15 amp fuse that protects the circuit.

The hardest part of the whole job is pulling off the panel that covers the fuse block. The relays are hidden in this pic, just above the fuses.

[url]http:

jumper wire made up.

Last edited by wingdreamer; January 6th, 2014 at 09:45 AM..
Old April 6th, 2014, 12:16 PM   #24

having a 12v outlet wired so it's hot 24/7 will NOT drain your battery. smh. darn rookies.

and as stated before you can leave a phone or an ipod plugged in and it won't drain your battery either.

just dont leave anything that draws a lot of current plugged in.
WyattEarp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 6th, 2014, 05:22 PM   #25
Wingdreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattEarp View Post
having a 12v outlet wired so it's hot 24/7 will NOT drain your battery. smh. darn rookies.

and as stated before you can leave a phone or an ipod plugged in and it won't drain your battery either.

just dont leave anything that draws a lot of current plugged in.
Yup!!! Been 5 months now with both Accords and works great. My son can now charge his blue tooth, and phone while away from his car..... such an easy thing to do, and no, the battery doesn't go dead unless you leave something on... cant help people on that one.... Most North American branded vehicles have been this way forever.... just seems to be a Honda thing....
WyattEarp likes this.
Old January 29th, 2016, 12:54 AM   #26

my 12v doesn't work. wanna start by checking the fuse. do you know where to access? underneath driver side?
Battery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in