re-doing my headliner - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By phunctional
  • 1 Post By TopGun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 5th, 2012, 08:31 PM   #1

re-doing my headliner

i was looking into redoing my headliner because its grey and i have all kinds of grease and dirt marks all over it and i cant stand it... ive been looking into this i already know how to remove the headliner and all its not sagging or anything like that just not happy with the dirt and grease marks... my questions are...

1. should i leave the old headliner on an re-wrap over it and same with a.b.and c pillars or should i peel the old headliner off? and if so has anyone peeled it off?

2.i want to use a pattern fabric possibly leaning to maybe a plad or houndstooth type look not to sure yet but what is a good material and could i get this material at a local fabric store in a pattern look that i want?

3.how much will i need for the headliner a.b.c pilars?

4final what glue should i use i saw alot of people use the 3m fabric adhesive and for the plastic trim pieces and the handles is there a way to paint them or just leave them? most likely gonna leave them....

thanks in advance guys!
rickybobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 5th, 2012, 08:45 PM   #2

i wanna do the same thing i actually did it in my old car but i had left the old fabric on
workinprogress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 5th, 2012, 08:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by workinprogress View Post
i wanna do the same thing i actually did it in my old car but i had left the old fabric on
ya idk what to do because i want it to actually last like a long time and stay looking good so most likely best way would probably remove the old headliner so i was gonna look at joann fabrics and see what i can find im getting pretty excited to see what i can come up with just want some info from people who have done it before....btw man your car is looking soooooo goood

Old November 5th, 2012, 08:57 PM   #4
Slammed & Stunning

Send a message via AIM to MatthewYu
You ever try cleaning it?
I cleaned mine up a bit, it worked.
Used a toothbrush and soap
MatthewYu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 5th, 2012, 08:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewYu View Post
You ever try cleaning it?
I cleaned mine up a bit, it worked.
Used a toothbrush and soap
ya i used a few things and the one you spray and scrub just sread it out farther and i work on cars all day i want to change it out anyway otherwise im still gonna get it dirty regardless of how careful i am... i want something darker but a pattern im looking at joann fabrics now at some stuff...
Old November 5th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #6
Slammed & Stunning

Send a message via AIM to MatthewYu
Do Louis Vitton design........ JK
I would want black as my leather is black. It would really compliment everything.
MatthewYu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 5th, 2012, 09:26 PM   #7
-Gene

Kudos
toinkee69 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
phunctional is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 6th, 2012, 03:40 PM   #8

ya probbaly gonna either do black or a pattern still up in the air about it but getting pretty excited to do it here soon..
Old November 6th, 2012, 03:51 PM   #9
Picture Perfect

You should do suede. It's far down on my list of to-do lol.
Milan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 6th, 2012, 04:10 PM   #10

I have the same issue, previous owner shot mine full of cigarette holes...I was thinking of plaid as well. Isn't that a vw thing? Is it a pain in the ass to take off? Do automotive shops fix this?

NightHawk Gal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 6th, 2012, 11:29 PM   #11

I'm gonna do mine this month so ill do a write up
workinprogress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 6th, 2012, 11:31 PM   #12

Oh my god that would be amazing...I'd love to do it myself!

NightHawk Gal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 7th, 2012, 08:59 AM   #13
The name is Z

Denny, Nick has a sedan. Though, it should be pretty similar in the gluing and wrapping and such but the deinstall and reinstall will be different. As for that, hit up Chris (armyguy). I'm pretty sure he wrapped his headliner recently.
CrackerTeg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 7th, 2012, 11:36 AM   #14

I did mine in micro-Suede. If your going to redo your headliner and are thinking about re-painting your trim, that's the time to do it. You have to remove all the pillar trim to get the headliner out anyways.

Also if the material on your headliner isn't falling off or anything, I recommend giving the headliner a good cleaning and just putting the new fabric over the existing stuff. I used 3M Super Trim Adhesive and found it to be great, the Part number is 08090.

Also I would ask Chris (Armyguy) about the sunroof cover, I couldn't find a DIY when I did mine and ended up doing it in the car with the sunroof cover still attached...big pain in the ass. LoL.
Rushzer0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 7th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #15
Chris

Send a message via AIM to armyguy239
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickybobby View Post
ya idk what to do because i want it to actually last like a long time and stay looking good so most likely best way would probably remove the old headliner so i was gonna look at joann fabrics and see what i can find im getting pretty excited to see what i can come up with just want some info from people who have done it before....btw man your car is looking soooooo goood
I just pulled my fabric off, soaked the glue and used a wire brush to remove the glue that was left, in the link i put at the bottom, you can somewhat see its a white thin plastic, its on top of the black celica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan View Post
You should do suede. It's far down on my list of to-do lol.
+1, although this is what most people do, although i'm not too sure what mine is, i thought it was like a suede but its not lol, pics are in the link at the bottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by workinprogress View Post
I'm gonna do mine this month so ill do a write up
Doooo eeet! lol if you need help lemme know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightHawk Gal View Post
Oh my god that would be amazing...I'd love to do it myself!
DOooooooo eeeeeeeeet Denny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerTeg View Post
Denny, Nick has a sedan. Though, it should be pretty similar in the gluing and wrapping and such but the deinstall and reinstall will be different. As for that, hit up Chris (armyguy). I'm pretty sure he wrapped his headliner recently.

sure did, was pretty easy, but it was like 8,9 months ago now lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushzer0 View Post
I did mine in micro-Suede. If your going to redo your headliner and are thinking about re-painting your trim, that's the time to do it. You have to remove all the pillar trim to get the headliner out anyways.

^This, I repainted all the pillars black w/ trim spray paint

Also if the material on your headliner isn't falling off or anything, I recommend giving the headliner a good cleaning and just putting the new fabric over the existing stuff. I used 3M Super Trim Adhesive and found it to be great, the Part number is 08090.

I used an adhesive that said 300 strength or something like that and its still holding up strong, I tried to find it on the Jo-ann's website but i couldnt find it, I did find this though, not sure how long it would last .
Headliner Spray Glue*: home decor notions *: sewing*: *Shop | Joann.com

Also I would ask Chris (Armyguy) about the sunroof cover, I couldn't find a DIY when I did mine and ended up doing it in the car with the sunroof cover still attached...big pain in the ass. LoL.

and here is the DIY I did for those coupes that have a sunroof... not sure if its the same for a sedan, if it is let me know.
http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...oof-cover.html

lol its kinda cool I'm getting referred to, I feel like I actually contribute to the accord community lol

Last edited by armyguy239; November 7th, 2012 at 05:18 PM..
armyguy239 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 7th, 2012, 05:27 PM   #16
The name is Z

Shut up Chris. I'm old. 5 years is recent for me.

Old November 7th, 2012, 05:30 PM   #17

thanks for all of this guys im planning on doing it tommroow would fabric from a local store like joann fabircs be a good place and could i get suede there?
Old November 7th, 2012, 05:54 PM   #18
The name is Z

Yup.

Old November 7th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #19
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerTeg View Post
Shut up Chris. I'm old. 5 years is recent for me.
rofl

Quote:
thanks for all of this guys im planning on doing it tommroow would fabric from a local store like joann fabircs be a good place and could i get suede there?
yup..... thats where i got my fabric from... just took some pics of whats left of the fabric.

the thickness

I plan on redoing my deck with the left over fabric.

Old November 7th, 2012, 08:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyguy239 View Post
rofl

yup..... thats where i got my fabric from... just took some pics of whats left of the fabric.

the thickness

I plan on redoing my deck with the left over fabric.
very nice ya its either going to be black but my only thing is my headliner and all plug ins and visors are grey and idk how it will look but my headliner is out and a and c pillars i got out but the b pillars with the seatbelt im stumped on how about do i go on getting this out because the seat belt and guide is slides through are in the way? and by the way +1 for honda and the airbags everywhere in this car its awesome...

and im deciding on taking out the sunroof slider? idk im a little worried on breaking stuff?

Old November 7th, 2012, 08:09 PM   #21
Chris

^there is a DIY for the sedan on here somewhere if not its on Driveaccord. kinda looks the same as a 6th gen.
Old November 7th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #22

Quote:
^there is a DIY for the sedan on here somewhere if not its on Driveaccord. kinda looks the same as a 6th gen.
ok ill take a look around thanks and i saw that you didnt put the handles back in so that might be what i do and also i might get the wink mirror so i dont have to run the ugly visors is yours just the generic mirror? or is it a special size also thanks for your help and also can i buy the glue at joann and did you say you peeled your old headliner off or did you just wrap over it?
Old November 7th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #23
Chris

Quote:
ok ill take a look around thanks and i saw that you didnt put the handles back in so that might be what i do and also i might get the wink mirror so i dont have to run the ugly visors is yours just the generic mirror? or is it a special size also thanks for your help and also can i buy the glue at joann and did you say you peeled your old headliner off or did you just wrap over it?
I didnt have handles, and for the visors i just didnt cut the holes out in the middle for the little clips that hold them in, just at the ends for the wink mirror brackets, and no they're all the same i believe, mines a rally one from Amazon. yea i just peeled off the fabric, i used a wire brush and water to remove the glue, i'll put pix on here so you can see..

just laying it over so we could cut it to a closer form, top right of pic you'll see the glue i used, its loctite i belive, it was the strongest one out of the 3, which i believe was 300 strength, went from 100,200,300...

Old November 7th, 2012, 09:33 PM   #24

Quote:
I didnt have handles, and for the visors i just didnt cut the holes out in the middle for the little clips that hold them in, just at the ends for the wink mirror brackets, and no they're all the same i believe, mines a rally one from Amazon. yea i just peeled off the fabric, i used a wire brush and water to remove the glue, i'll put pix on here so you can see..

just laying it over so we could cut it to a closer form, top right of pic you'll see the glue i used, its loctite i belive, it was the strongest one out of the 3, which i believe was 300 strength, went from 100,200,300...
awesome!! and those b pillars were a pain in the ass im about to start on the sunroof assembly.. when you laid the carpet on the head liner how much glue did you spray and how to you put it down from the middle out and also did you have a heat gun handy for wrinkles?
Old November 7th, 2012, 11:54 PM   #25

Damn I need to do my too but im not sure how hard it is or I should take it to a shop my is already falling off...

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
josee09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 8th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #26

Quote:

ok so everything is rapped except the headliner and what is the best way to get the old foam off the headliner i tried hot water, steel brush which just tears the headliner itself up from the brissels and im out of options someone told me acetone or thinner but i think it will destroy the foam on the headliner? ive been peeling but its not working at all??
Old December 7th, 2012, 08:12 PM   #27

Ricky we're definitely getting up and redoing mine over winter break.

One spot has a cigarette burn in it =/

Came out awesome broski
rickybobby likes this.
TopGun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in