DIY: 7th Gen Black Headlight Housing - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bursaliozer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 7th, 2013, 06:00 PM   #1

DIY: 7th Gen Black Headlight Housing

I searched the forum but didn't find a DIY that satisfied me on doing this mod so i decided to do one real quick. Sorry if its a repeat because i couldn't find one.

If you are thinking about doing this mod you should already have the skills to pull your bumper off and take your headlights off so i will not cover that part. Search for it, plenty of topics on that already. Here we go:

1- Here is your headlight out of the car ready to start.

2- Take off your light bulbs and the gaskets that cover the opening. Tape these holes up with masking tape.

3- Set oven to 250 degrees and once its pre-heated "bake" your headlight for 8 minutes. They will be hot to the touch so use something to hold them.

4- There are these tabs that snap the two pieces together. Be careful not to break these since its easy to do.

5- Take a flat head screw driver and start prying the two pieces apart, making sure to unsnap those tabs as you go. Take your time with this and dont break anything. If need be, reheat the pieces.

6- Once you pull them apart you should be left with this at this point.

7- While the silicone is still soft try to get most of it out of the channel of the headlight. This will make it easier later on.

8- Take a fillips head and remove the one screw that holds the chrome bezel in place.

9- Remove the amber and the clear pieces by prying on them gently. They are barely in there so you dont need to go crazy.

10- At this point you are ready to begin the painting stage. Clean the chrome piece with rubbing alcohol and make sure not to touch it after that. You dont want oils from your hands on there.

11- I used sandable primer, 3 light coats until every chrome part is covered. Let dry for 10-15 mins before painting between coats.

12- I used Low Gloss trim paint but you can use any flat or semi gloss paint you want. It doesnt have to be high temp since this part doesnt get hot.

13- Put 3-4 light coats untill its all covered, let dry for half hr after the final coat. Inspect to make sure it looks good.

14- Snap the amber and the clear parts back on, making sure not to scratch the new painted surface. Dont touch the black areas if you can avoid it.

15- Put the bezel inside the front "glass" and install the screw to hold it in place.

16- At this point you are ready to put the pieces back together. I used black silicon from AutoZone to seal it back up. This is where the cleaned out channel comes in handy. Put a bead of silicon inside the channel making sure to cover the whole thing, not leaving gaps. Wear Dr's gloves because this part gets messy.

17- Once you have done that, put both pieces back into the oven for 8 mins at 250 degrees. Once the old and new silicon is soft align the pieces and squeeze them together. Make sure to push the tabs down as you do this.

18- To make sure you dont get moisture inside the light, you needs to run a bead around the edges and over the tabs to cover any open spots. Run a line of masking tape like shown to keep things little neater.

19- While wearing a glove on one hand, squeeze some silicon on the edges and on the tabs and spread it with your finger to cover all the open areas. Dont go crazy with it, just try to keep it clean. I used this whole tube on one headlight so you will need 2. Let dry and remove the tape.

20- Let everything dry overnight if you have time and then put everything back together. You may want to clamp the edges with clamps if you have them. I didnt have any. Silicon is still wet and it gets everywhere if you aren't careful ( looks down at black hands )

Here is the finished product. Good job! Now do it all over again
Ilovemyvtx likes this.
Advertisement

Old April 7th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #2

YOu should have just used butyl-tape. RTV-black is a B if you need to open it again and if it starts to vent fumes

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=792
thisaznboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 7th, 2013, 07:55 PM   #3

Did not know about this product. I will get it when I'm ready to do the other headlight.

Old April 7th, 2013, 07:57 PM   #4
dave

Keep us posted if anythign happens with the reflectors cause of the fumes.

BTW, Instead of blacking out the chrome, I kinda like the look of black chrome. No primer, just a coat or three of vht nite shades.
ertpecs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 7th, 2013, 08:32 PM   #5
Picture Perfect

I would also suggest masking off the area behind the turn signal diffuser. When it's painted black it gives very little illumination when using your turn signal. I have never sealed the headlight after with anything other than what was on there from factory and never had a leak/condensation issue.
Milan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 7th, 2013, 08:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan View Post
When it's painted black it gives very little illumination when using your turn signal.
Would using LED bulbs solve this? Im sure it wont be same as stocl but maybe more light vs the stock bulb?
Old April 18th, 2013, 09:16 PM   #7
Czechopino

Send a message via AIM to vasekvi Send a message via Yahoo to vasekvi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ertpecs View Post
Keep us posted if anythign happens with the reflectors cause of the fumes.

BTW, Instead of blacking out the chrome, I kinda like the look of black chrome. No primer, just a coat or three of vht nite shades.
Thats what I did.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

vasekvi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 28th, 2013, 02:49 AM   #8

That a good idea with using nite shade instead of paint. I think it would look really cool with the black chrome thanks
squish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in