How To: Budget Retrofit - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree11Likes
  • 10 Post By olecram39
  • 1 Post By V6 EJ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 9th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #1

How To: Budget Retrofit

I have been wanting to do a retrofit for a while after some persuasion from fellow members so i decided to do it. However,being a college student, I wanted to keep it low cost without sacrificing too much quality. This is my first retrofit and i am by no means an expert, i just wanted to share what I did.

First, a little background info on the headlights. One of the first mods i did to the car when i got it was get a new pair of Ebay black housed headlights which were the ones i was running until yesterday. Becuse they were cheap ebay headlights after two years the clear coat was flaking off. I had kept the OEM headlights which had a lot of oxidation and cracking on the lens but i figured i would combine the best aspects of each pair in order to make ONE good retrofitted pair of headlights.

I bought everything from www.headlightsquick.com. They are an authorized disributor from The Retrofit Source and Morimoto. James Wachs the President of the company was very helpful and handled all of my orders personally. Oh and the best part, they have FREE 2-Day SHIPPING.

Materials and Cost:
HQ Mini H1 Projectors: $45.00 Mini H1 Bi-Xenon Projectors | Retrofit Projectors | Headlight Conversion - HeadlightsQuick
Full Sized Gatling Gun Shroud:$40.00 Full Sized Gatling Gun Shrouds | Shrouds - Headlightsquick
*But if you buy it through Amazon you get both for $60.00 Shipped*Amazon.com: Retrofit Headlights 2.5" H1 Projector Lens & Silver Gatling Gun Shroud: Automotive

H1 Bulbs: $9.98 on Ebay
HID Kit: Already had one from Ebay.
High Beam Splitters: $10.00 Headlights Quick (If you cant find it on the website, send James an email, tell him what you need and he will get it for you)
Projector Selenoid Plug: $13.00 Headlights Quick
Butyl Glue (optional): $13.00 Ebay. (the roll was huge, way more than i will ever need in my life)

TOTAL: $105.98

Projector Review:: A lot of peopple may be a little skeptical about not using the mainstream/famous H1 Morimoto Minis but let me tell you that these projector are probably as good. I didn't want to spend $120 on projectors alone so i went this route, i figured ANY projector would be better than my plug and play HID kit on a reflector housing. I have never had the Morimotos in my hand but i did look at a lot of pictures and videos of them and they look exactly the same as these HQ Projectors. The cut off line is very sharp and it even has a bluish/purple tint out of the box, which i know some people usually have to modify the projectors to achieve this.

Proectors:
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

This is a comparison picture of my retrofit cutoff and my brother in law"s 2012 Infinity G37 Sedan.

Left= G37 Sedan OEM Headlights
Right= My Retrofit

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Close up of blue/purple tint
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Here are the OEM Headlights, from which i kept the reflectors and the plastic housing.

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

From the Ebay Headlights i used the black bezel with the clear reflector and the flaking lens. Obviously i didn't leave the flaking lens, i sanded it down starting with 400 grit sandpaper, followed by 600, 800, 1000, 1200, and 1500. Then i used automotive 2k clear coat that i had left over from when i painted my rear lip and gave the lenses 7 coats of clear coat.
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

I used this AMAZING little gun that i got from amazon. Very good gun, exceeded my expectation tremendously.
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
Amazon.com: Tool Force A-C1 50 PSI 2-in-1 HVLP Spray Gun: Home Improvement

Painted the projector shields and interior stuff graphite gray to match the color of the car.
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Trimmed the shrouds to fit the reflectors as exact as i could.
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Placed the reflector on the housing.
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Went to see if i could aim and adjust the headlights during the day but then realized i had no choice but to wait until it got dark. Fail!
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

After it got dark and i aimed the headlights it got late so i stopped taking pictures because i wanted to finish. Sorry.

I sealed the headlights back up and this is the end result.

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Overall i am very happy with the result, the only reason why i hadn't done this before was because of the cost, but i found a way to do it on a budget so i am happy. Definitely one of my favorite mods. I love how the full sized Gatling Gun shrouds fill up the headlight and they don't look small like the Mini Gatling Gun shrouds.
Let me know what you guys think and feel free to ask any questions.
olecram39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 15th, 2013, 07:15 PM   #2

good stuff man, I just had my mini H1's put in, but it seems like this really is an extremely cheap route, mad props! do you mind taking better pictures of the width, light distribution, cutoff, and foreground light? because if these really are comparable to the morimotos, this is an amazing deal thanks
bluesolara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 15th, 2013, 07:33 PM   #3

These are pictures i took before i put the projectors in. I was holding them in my hand testing them right out of the box.
Bulbs are 6000k.

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Old October 15th, 2013, 08:01 PM   #4

That looks awesome!!! I like the TL wheels too
03TLSNC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 15th, 2013, 08:04 PM   #5

your cut off is bowled.
thisaznboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 17th, 2013, 03:05 PM   #6

So helpful
FasteraZnftw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 30th, 2013, 11:50 AM   #7
Mr. Detail

Looks good, like the very reasonable price too. Personally, I would have gone with 4300k bulbs since they put out the most light.
Scottwax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 30th, 2013, 11:58 AM   #8

Thanks man, and that is true, but I like the color. Might go down to 5000k in the future who knows. 4300k is too yellow for me though.
Old October 30th, 2013, 05:27 PM   #9

Props to you dude. Sh!ts legit
olecram39 likes this.
V6 EJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 19th, 2013, 08:47 PM   #10

The headlights came out great. If you don't mind I was wondering what method did you use for removing the lens from the headlight? Oven, heat gun, hot water? Also did you buff the lenses after you sprayed the clear on them?
This is definitely on my to do list since my stock headlights are condensing on the inside of the lens.
Ibreak4change is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 21st, 2013, 07:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibreak4change View Post
The headlights came out great. If you don't mind I was wondering what method did you use for removing the lens from the headlight? Oven, heat gun, hot water? Also did you buff the lenses after you sprayed the clear on them?
This is definitely on my to do list since my stock headlights are condensing on the inside of the lens.
I baked the headlight at 225 degrees for 30 minutes. Then i put some heat resistant gloves on and pulled the lens apart, didnt need to use a flat head screw driver or anything to pry them, just my bare hands. I didnt buff them because the clear coat dried up perefctly smooth (i used a "professional" spary gun) if you use a spray can you might have to sand a little and buff them because spray cans tend to dry up with orange peel and texture.

You should definitely do it, i love this mod, one of my favorites ever.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 08:27 PM   #12

Thanks, I know now that sanding the lens and respraying with clear is the only way to really restore a headlight now. I tried the buffing kits from the parts store but they haze right back up in a few days.
Ibreak4change is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 10th, 2013, 09:12 PM   #13

Thanks for sharing this awesome write up with the forum. I will look to do this mod after the holidays.
coolwhiptx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in