10 inch type r sun with jl amp - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 1bLwN_AcCoRd
  • 1 Post By oraclem19

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 19th, 2013, 04:55 PM   #1

10 inch type r sun with jl amp

So i have a 10inch type r sub right now with a 650w alpine amp n its not pushing to where i want it so i was going to try out my friends 1000w jl black series amp. Is it even safe to run the jl amp on the type r sub? And i dont plan on blowing up the sub just wanted a high wattage amp for a bit more bass
BHom_ex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 19th, 2013, 05:27 PM   #2
The Jester

Is it wired as a two ohm or a one ohm? The type r can handle up to 1000 RMS watts. The JL can produce that with the correct wiring.
oraclem19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 19th, 2013, 07:58 PM   #3
Kevin

Send a message via Skype™ to Nguyen-er
If it is the slash series amp then the it should give out 1200 RMS at whatever ohm you wire your sub down to.
Nguyen-er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old December 19th, 2013, 09:30 PM   #4

Its wired to 1ohms right now. I'm afraid my sub will blow since the amp is running at a constant 3ohms. Its not a slash series
Old December 20th, 2013, 01:51 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to 1bLwN_AcCoRd
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHom_ex View Post
Its wired to 1ohms right now. I'm afraid my sub will blow since the amp is running at a constant 3ohms. Its not a slash series
couple things, the alpine can handle 1000 watts no problem. second the JL slash amps, they use a special technology, RIPS, that allows them to put out the same wattage over 1.5,2,3,4 ohms. so if your sub is wired to 1 ohms, the amp will not see this constant 3 ohms your mentioning....
also regarding the 1000 watts, there are many factors to those numbers, volume, music type, and voltage. you would need to put volume right before clipping, and have the proper amount of power to reach 1000 watts. Also your music choice will have some play in reaching the 1000 watts....
sorry to ramble on and on
BHom_ex likes this.
1bLwN_AcCoRd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 20th, 2013, 06:34 AM   #6
The Jester

You would need to test the setup at varying frequencies at the highest volume level before clipping on your stereo, tune the amp to 1000w if not 950 to keep the sub cooler, then confirm with a clipping indicator like the smd-1 to make site the signal is going through clean. I would test this on various songs and test tones before leaving it as a set rig to ensure no clipping. The difference in sound between 800w and 1000w is minimal, the difference in clipping or overheating on the subwoofer is the thin line between max output and a blown speaker however. Make sure to take into account manufacturing defects and whether your car is idling or only powered on when you do this though.
BHom_ex likes this.
Old December 20th, 2013, 08:33 AM   #7

Ok thanks a lot for all the advice guys. I think my sub is 2ohms since I belive my brother bridged the sub. But I will definitely try out what u guys told me
Old December 20th, 2013, 10:43 AM   #8
Super Mod

Here's a tip on how to set the level on your amp. If your amp is setup correctly, your sub shouldn't blow the sub unless you max out the volume or something or do something crazy.

How to Adjust Amplifier Gains Using a Digital Multi-Meter - Knowledge Base

The Type R subs can handle good power. I've put a Kicker 1200.1 to a 12: Type R and it handled it really well.
aprevo15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 20th, 2013, 01:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHom_ex View Post
Ok thanks a lot for all the advice guys. I think my sub is 2ohms since I belive my brother bridged the sub. But I will definitely try out what u guys told me
You should find out how he has it wired. you have 2 options: series (4ohms) or parallel (1ohm).
you should wire it for 4 ohms, because technically the JL amp's minimum impedance is 1.5ohms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprevo15 View Post
Here's a tip on how to set the level on your amp. If your amp is setup correctly, your sub shouldn't blow the sub unless you max out the volume or something or do something crazy.

How to Adjust Amplifier Gains Using a Digital Multi-Meter - Knowledge Base

The Type R subs can handle good power. I've put a Kicker 1200.1 to a 12: Type R and it handled it really well.
a DMM is a good starting point to set gains, but unless you have a Fluke DMM 120 series or higher your still guessing.

also the OP has a 10" type-r. the 12" type r has a higher power handling capability
Old December 20th, 2013, 01:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oraclem19 View Post
You would need to test the setup at varying frequencies at the highest volume level before clipping on your stereo, tune the amp to 1000w if not 950 to keep the sub cooler, then confirm with a clipping indicator like the smd-1 to make site the signal is going through clean. I would test this on various songs and test tones before leaving it as a set rig to ensure no clipping. The difference in sound between 800w and 1000w is minimal, the difference in clipping or overheating on the subwoofer is the thin line between max output and a blown speaker however. Make sure to take into account manufacturing defects and whether your car is idling or only powered on when you do this though.
by the way thats a good point in order to increase sound levels by 3db you need double the power... so you wont see a HUGE difference in sound levels.
Old December 20th, 2013, 08:12 PM   #11
The Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bLwN_AcCoRd View Post
by the way thats a good point in order to increase sound levels by 3db you need double the power... so you wont see a HUGE difference in sound levels.
3db is barely pervicevable, although anytime "db" gain is mentioned it is assumed that more is better. Sometimes it needs to be matched to the rest of the system, especially if you have stock speakers or unamplified door and rear speakers.
We will need to know which Type-R you have though, depending on the year it will be rated for 500, 600, or 1000w. The new ones at 1000w are very durable, the older 600 had some issues when going above 550.
There are also dual 2 and dual 4 ohm configurations, is there any chance you have the box, or can pull the sub out to grab a part number?

Otherwise a picture of the cone and an ohm reading on the leads from the box can help us better determine the model and capabilities of what you have.
Old December 24th, 2013, 07:53 PM   #12

My type r is the old one not a new one. i got it off my brothers friend. but i will look for the part number once i get back in town
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in