Installing Steering Wheel Radio Controls in LX Sedan - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 25th, 2014, 10:55 AM   #1

Installing Steering Wheel Radio Controls in LX Sedan

Ever since i bought my car with 60000 miles on it the light on the screen has been out. I called honda and they said they wouldnt fix it because the bulletin is only for the 03-04 accords and mine is an 05 but ive been dealing with this for a while so no biggie.

The real problem is that now my radio is just randomly just shutting completely off, no clock no nothing screen goes entirely blank and no music comes out NOTHING! I found out that in order to fix it was unplug the negative terminal of the battery a few times and it will start working fine again. This is getting annoying since sometimes im just driving down the road listening to a good song and the radio just shuts off, pulling over on *the spot can sometimes be dangerous and time consuming so i decided i need a new radio.

Since i need a new radio anyway i wanted to upgrade to a 6 disc headunit and add the steering wheel controls that the LX does not have. Im making this thread to get some help in achieving this and so that it can help other LX owners in the future to do this mod.

This is what i know so far:

1. The LX radio is single climate so the replacement 6 disc radio has to be single climate as well.
2. The replacement radio has to come from a sedan since the coupe radio has a different color lighting on the buttons.
3. The Steering wheel radio controls will not work with a single disc radio since the wiring for the controls is non-existent.

This is what i have purchased so far. Still in the process of finding a single climate 6 disc radio at a junkyard since the ones on ebay are around $300.
I got the button and the and the wiring for the outrageous price of $7.50 from a U-Pick Junk Yard.

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Any input in this adventure will be greatly appreciated.
olecram39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 26th, 2014, 04:49 PM   #2

Today i took my airbag out so look more closely at things. Here is what i found.

The red arrow points at my current connector (05 LX), the blue one points at the connector that came from the 03 EX. The green and red wire and the brown on the connector on the left are the wires that go to the radio controls.

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

The plug that is IN the steering wheel is full of pins, which makes me think that the wiring harness that goes to the radio has the wires needed for the radio controls already.

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

My idea is moving the two cables from the EX harnes to my original harness to their equivalent positions. Like this:

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Then finally replacing the head unit with a 7bc1 or 7bc2 which can actually interpret the steering wheel control signals should do the trick and make it work.

Right? Thoughts?
Old March 27th, 2014, 11:02 PM   #3

took the cover of the steering column off to check the wires that come out of the cable reel. This is what i found.

The white connector is the one that comes from the rear of the cable reel and takes the signals from the steering wheel controls to the radio and cruise control.

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Connector before cable reel. (inside steering wheel)
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Connector after cable reel (behind steering wheel)
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

From this i saw that the steering wheel radio controls are not pre wired.

Next what i did was, i went back to the junk yard to take a look at the wiring of the 2003 EX i got the radio controls from.

The two wires circled are the radio control wires from the back of the cable reel on the 03 ex.
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

This is the the other end of the cables shown above in the plug that connects to the back of the radio.

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Based on all this, i think that if i use the steering wheel controls wiring harness i got from the junkyard for parts and add the two wires to the plug that comes out of the back of the cable reel and run the wires to the plug that goes to the radio and use a 6 disc radio from a sedan it will work.

Old April 23rd, 2014, 04:57 PM   #4

I already ordered the 6 disc head unit with the single climate control so hopefully by next Monday we will know if this works.
Old April 25th, 2014, 12:12 PM   #5

Its here!

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Lets see if this works, Fingers crossed!
Old April 25th, 2014, 03:03 PM   #6

IT WORKS!!

Accord 05 LX with steering wheel controls - YouTube

Just for the record, the differences between the 6 disc single climate unit and the single disc single climate.

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
Old April 29th, 2014, 04:53 PM   #7

well done!!!
07J30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 29th, 2014, 07:46 PM   #8

Great write up man. Not sure how many people this will pertain to but none the less, great job
accord325 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 21st, 2015, 08:10 PM   #9

I already have the 6 disk radio in my 2003 Lx just want to add the steering wheel controls - to I just need the buttons and the small pigtail harness you started with>
btexpres85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in