Advice on paint - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 14th, 2014, 10:49 AM   #1

Advice on paint

So I've got a white 03 coupe and the paint is really giving up. I've got peeling clear all over the car, and anywhere that isn't peeling, is turning yellow.

My dad offered to pay for a respray, but he wants to have my car sprayed at Maaco. Since I'm not paying for this, I'm trying not to complain about the shop choice. I just want some advice from you guys. I visited my local Maaco and they seemed way above average from the horror stories I usually hear. They're located on a road with about 7 other collision repair shops and so I expect they need to step up their game to compete.

1) Does anyone on this forum have a Maaco paintjob? What package did you get from them, and how is it?

2) My dad wants to go with a "Urethane + Integrated clear" package, which is basically urethane base mixed with clear and shot as one stage with 3-4 coats, according to the Maaco guy I talked to. What do you guys think about this? The representative showed me a car sprayed with this package and it *looked* okay, but I'm worried about durability against rocks, chipping, etc. Would this option have issues with peeling paint?

3) Since my paint is so bad, the representative quoted me for a ton of bodywork to remove the bad paint. It turned the $800 base package into damn near $1300 after all the body work, prep, paint, etc. Does that sound right? I'm thinking about sanding my car back myself and just driving it over, but the representative said they can't guarantee the final product unless they do the work.

4) I want to keep my car white, but I want to stray away from the "White with yellow hues". The guy I was talking to was saying something about "Chevy white" and he showed me a car with it, but it was overcast and I couldn't really make out the differences. Does anyone know of more "pure" white paint codes?

5) Any other advice? After tax and everything, my final quote came out to about $1500 for all bodywork, paint, etc. I told my dad and he's really iffy on that price and expected it to be lower. I know that "quality" paintjobs cost a lot more (the body shops next door all quoted me about $3k for 2 stage paint and labor), but I just want all of this bad paint to be gone and have a smooth finish on my car again. I understand that Maaco jobs aren't the greatest and don't last the longest, but my current mindset is "just have this paintjob done and hope it holds until I can afford a proper respray, or just buy a new car a few years down the road." With my car being 7 years old now AND having a salvage title, it's worth near nothing so I'll be holding onto it until it pretty much dies.
dannyrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 24th, 2014, 07:18 PM   #2

If you plan on selling the car within the next year or not too far in the future just go with Maaco. That's what I did in high school to a car. If it's a car I want to keep for a long time I'm saving the extra $1,000 or so to get a quality job.
00siandrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 31st, 2014, 09:13 PM   #3

I agree with 00siandrew
Gubna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old June 23rd, 2014, 07:57 PM   #4

My Nighthawk Black Pearl gave up a long time ago. If you know you want to do a quality repaint consider doing plastidip while you save up. Some people bash it, but it has come a long way.
Noke85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 17th, 2014, 09:34 AM   #5
Mr. Detail

Maaco won't use a real clear coat, they use an integrated clear which will oxidize as bad as Honda's solid white.

You can take a paint/body class at a local college and learn to paint it yourself, or at least be able to properly prep the car for a shop other than Maaco.
Scottwax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 17th, 2014, 10:21 AM   #6

NEVER EVER use MAACO!!! Will look like crap right out of the paint booth and will look even worse a year down the road.
bozos_si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 27th, 2014, 10:48 PM   #7

they will paint your mufflers. Save some cash for a real painter.
VeeSykkz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 28th, 2014, 07:23 AM   #8
Carpe Diem

Ask him to give you the money he was going to pay Maaco and use that towards a real paint job.
ikethegreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in