Project: Infinity Kappa underway! - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree18Likes
  • 3 Post By DreaminAccord
  • 1 Post By rangomango
  • 1 Post By rangomango
  • 1 Post By oraclem19
  • 1 Post By DreaminAccord
  • 1 Post By ikethegreat
  • 1 Post By e713
  • 3 Post By DreaminAccord
  • 1 Post By e713
  • 1 Post By toinkee69
  • 2 Post By ertpecs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 22nd, 2015, 05:51 PM   #1

Project: Infinity Kappa underway!

Project: Infinity Kappa by Harman

So I really shouldn't be allowed to shop the internet without supervision

Today I started ordering everything for my next massive project - upgrading the entire interior audio except for the stock Navigation unit (which was a big purchase item last year from my stock 6-CD changer).

From this:

To this:

As many of you know, one of the very first things done to Tawonda, besides the 30% tint and TSX retrofit, was transferring and re-wiring my Alpine mono amplifier and 10" Alpine Type-R subwoofer into the trunk.

Well, music is something very important to me and I appreciate great sound.
Even with the powerful sub system, most would never know I have one, as I have it perfectly tuned to enhance the music - not destroy it.
My years of being the young buck bumping, jamming, and being heard many blocks away were many, many moons ago. lol

Now, it is finally time to take the plunge and upgrade the rest of the interior - something that I have always ended up doing to all of my vehicles.
However, they were always just coaxial speaker upgrades before, never amplified; but I'm going all out this time and running a second amplifier to all four interior speakers.

After doing a bunch of research lately to determine if there were any differences in amplifying component speakers as opposed to a subwoofer, the "orders placed" list has begun to grow!

Currently ordered:

1x Infinity Kappa 6.5" 2-Way Component Loudspeakers Pair by Harman (FRONT)
Peak: 450 watts per pair / 225 watts each | RMS: 150 watts per pair / 75 watts each

1x Infinity Kappa 6x9" 3-Way Component Loudspeakers Pair by Harman (REAR)
Peak: 660 watts per pair / 330 watts each | RMS: 220 watts per pair / 110 watts each

1x 2003-2007 Honda Accord OEM Harness Adapters Pair (Prevents splicing of the OEM wire harness)
2x PAC Line Out Converters [LOC] (Allows for the hookup of A/M amplifiers to OEM headunits by converting the higher level signal from the H/U into the lower level signal of the amplifier via RCA Signal Cables)
1x Amazon Basics 16-Gauge 100ft Speaker Wire

1x 2003-2007 Honda Accord Xscorpion 6.5" Speaker Adapter Pair

2x Rockford Fosgate Positive/Negative Battery Terminal - (2) 4 AWG IN and (2) 8 AWG IN

1x Rockford Fosgate Distribution Block (to split (1) 4 AWG Power Wire from +12V to both amps)

2x Rockford Fosgate 6ft Twisted Signal Cable (for 2x Line Out Converters - (1) Right and (1) Left to feed the 2nd amplifier)

Being that all of this has been ordered from Amazon on this month's Statement which ends this Friday, I will receive 3% Cash Back which will add up to over $40 in savings on my next Statement I will then use those savings to buy the amplifier as that is the most expensive item on the entire list:

1x Infinity KAPPAFOUR 125W x 4 Full Range Class D Amplifier by Harman

Product Description: Infinity's new Kappa amplifiers have been engineered to deliver world-class reliable power delivery in an all new compact footprint. So, not only does Infinity's new Kappa amps sound great, but they take less space than any amplifier we have ever engineered and are smaller and easier to install than the amps available from the majority of our competitors.

My engineering at it's finest! lmao

Crutchfield's Infinity Kappa Component Speaker Review (OLDER: from 2008 - but even 7 years ago they were receiving high reviews by the audio experts )
Stay tuned!

'07 EX-L HFP V6 Coupe w/ Navi - "Tawonda"
Graphite Pearl / Black Leather
(Sold 7/26/17)

'17 Touring HFP V6 Coupe - "Bianca"
White Orchid Pearl / Black Ivory Leather
(Purchased 5/18/17)

Last edited by DreaminAccord; February 23rd, 2015 at 08:39 PM..
DreaminAccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 23rd, 2015, 10:10 AM   #2
Calm like a bomb

I love the wiring schematic. I use the Alpine power pack. It's small, fits right behind the factory H/U and its wired inline with it (does not require external power source). It gives 100 rms x 4 channels. I also have the same component speakers. The sound is great.
StevilKnievel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 23rd, 2015, 08:37 PM   #3

Thanks Steve

It really fits behind the stock H/U??? I have the Navi with custom-made conversion harness which takes up all the room so i highly doubt it'd fit behind mine lol I haven't bought the amp yet so still searching around

Hey, I know you're out East but we should do a PA meet sometime! We're putting together a meet this June up in the Windy city - not sure if you'd be interested in a road trip?

(Sold 7/26/17)

(Purchased 5/18/17)

Old February 24th, 2015, 12:21 PM   #4
Calm like a bomb

I apologize as I mis-spoke. It doesn't run 100x4 it's 50 rmsx4. Still sounds great though. Its like 6in x 1.5in x 2.5in so yeah, its pretty discreet and like you said, I don't need to bump anymore so it is perfect for me.

Keep me posted on the meet. I can't commit due to work schedule in the summer time being insane but I'd like to see some good mods in person.
Old February 24th, 2015, 06:04 PM   #5

Some of the stuff got delivered today Have to love Amazon Prime free 2 day shipping ha

These Rockford Fosgate battery terminals and distribution block, although made in China like 3/4 of the World...are actually damn well built! I was shocked when I opened them up and felt their real weight

(Sold 7/26/17)

(Purchased 5/18/17)
Old February 25th, 2015, 11:10 AM   #6

I have the Infinity Kappa 6 x 9 692.9i in the rear...its good stuff. Just out of curiosity, what are you using as an input for your subwoofers?
DreaminAccord likes this.
rangomango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 27th, 2015, 04:40 PM   #7

Input for the Alpine sub or the Infinity Kappa woofer speakers? They both use a Line Out Converter (LOC) from the OEM Navi H/U

UPDATE:

Received the speakers today

(Sold 7/26/17)

(Purchased 5/18/17)
Old March 1st, 2015, 11:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaminAccord View Post
Input for the Alpine sub or the Infinity Kappa woofer speakers? They both use a Line Out Converter (LOC) from the OEM Navi H/U
Speakers look good!

Just a suggestion (totally up to you obviously). I would wire in a LC2i for the subwoofer. When I ran my sub off an LOC the sound wasn't hitting that low. I added a LC2i and it was a huge upgrade.
rangomango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 2nd, 2015, 07:22 PM   #9

Well, yesterday my Amazon statement renewed so I earned $41.27 in Amazon Rewards That's what I've been waiting on before ordering the 2nd amp. Over the past week, I've been doing a lot of amp shopping, comparing reviews, RMS x4, etc. and I have decided to go with the Polk Audio D4000.4 4-Channel Class D amplifier MSRP ~$400.00 my total price shipped, including an extended 2 year warranty after the 1 year supplied manufacturer warranty was $208 - whoo!

200watts per channel x 4 @ 2 ohms will give these Max 220watt 6.5" Fronts / 330watt 6x9 Rears the perfect amount of power that they need - especially being dedicated to their own amp. I kept going back and forth as to just sale my mono class D Alpine amp currently running the sub and buying a 5 or 6 channel amp to run everything off of - but I chose against it. I like them being separated

Should hopefully be here by end of week - it's only shipping from Michigan so I'm expecting 2-3 days max. Can't wait to get this project installed!

(Sold 7/26/17)

(Purchased 5/18/17)
Old March 3rd, 2015, 08:26 PM   #10

Just ordered 36 FT^2 of the black Dynamat for a killer deal This'll definitely cover doors, trunk, trunk lid and then some! haha

(Sold 7/26/17)

(Purchased 5/18/17)
Old March 3rd, 2015, 09:25 PM   #11
The Jester

door liners isn't a bad idea either. or wheel wells. Seal your doors first though, helps sound.
oraclem19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 4th, 2015, 05:26 PM   #12

I received my amp today - literally took 1 day Stopped at Best Buy to see if I could just solely buy some 4awg wire for my distrib. block and was shocked that they don't sell it by itself. Instead they want you to buy their $100 Kicker 8AWG Amp kit or $150 Kicker 4AWG amp kit. Uhhh...forgetchu! ha. $100 for some friggin' wire. No thank you. I have some left over from the sub - I'll rig something up lol

Edit: I just registered my new amp on Polk's website and by just answering 4 easy questions regarding education level, income, and housing type I received an additional year of manufacturer warranty! :thmsup: I've never had a company offer something like that. So far...I'm impressed. Now once we get this amp wired up, we'll really put it's quality and their name to a test ha

(Sold 7/26/17)

(Purchased 5/18/17)
Old March 7th, 2015, 05:06 PM   #13

Received my PA amp, Metra 98+ Honda/Acura radio wiring harness and 36 sq. ft of Dynamat Xtreme

HEcreated487 likes this.

(Sold 7/26/17)

(Purchased 5/18/17)
Old March 7th, 2015, 05:07 PM   #14

Just finished Dynamatting the trunk HUGE difference as expected. Although, I must say the factory supplied deadener works very well for being OEM-supplied as even before doing the trunk with Dynamat, you could barely even tell that I had a subwoofer so kudos to Honda

I bought this little sewing roller at Lowes - cost like $2.69 or something...MUCH cheaper and works just as good as the ~$20+ Dynamat roller smh ripoff.

Trunk lid stripped down to the bare metal:

One nice, long, solid piece across the entire lid, and then random pieces placed in tighter spots. According to Dynamat, only 30% coverage will still provide extraordinary results - so...I should be good to go haha

Can't even tell it's there

Factory deadener:

Add our little friend, Dyna (Someone's in the kitchen with her...might as well be me!)

I also bought this stuff at Lowes - cut it out to size and put it underneath the sub box. Dramatic difference and will prevent the box from sliding all over the place like it usually does thanks to the OEM trunk mat

BEFORE
AFTER
HEcreated487 likes this.

(Sold 7/26/17)

(Purchased 5/18/17)

Last edited by DreaminAccord; March 7th, 2015 at 07:50 PM..
Old April 14th, 2015, 06:04 AM   #15

Much needed update!

So, two days ago I went and installed the Kappa 6x9's - they are a direct swap from stock. I was able to get three of the four OEM screws back in (definitely enough to hold it in place). I've heard some A/M 6x9's holes will line up exactly, while others are completely off and folks were only able to use two of the four screws. So, I'm content being in the middle for once ha. The great thing about these 3-way speakers, is that even though they are tall, I was able to fully fit the OEM grilles back on with no modifications required, and was not forced to install the speakers from below

A couple pics of that install:

The OEM 6x9 and 8mm screws (x4):

Saves your OEM harness:

Splice 'em:

...and wire 'em up

Now...if you're just doing an OEM swap...you're done. However, like most things I do...I have to do them right or not do them at all. So! Onwards to the amp install

Remember to wire in your provided in-line fuse:

Wiring up the PAC Line-out-Converter (LOC):
(This transforms the higher radio output signal into a lower signal that can be fed and accepted by the amp via RCA cables. Perfect for OEM H/U's that do not have output RCA feeds on the rear of the unit)

^^ In this pic you see two LOCs in the trunk - that is because I'm using one for my amp to my Alpine Type-R subwoofer and the new one (on right) to the amp for the 2 rear channels)

Now run your channel (speaker) positive & negative wires from the correct channel on the amp to the positive and negative terminals on the speaker:

Nice and clean. Always remember to give plenty of slack in your wiring which will allow you later on to move the box around or back through the 60/40 split-folding seats should you need your entire cargo / trunk space:

================================================== ====

This unfortunately is where I had to stop for now. :-/ Even though all of the online sources say that we can run 6.5" front speakers, which I ordered my Kappas in (which they said would fit!), these particular ones do not fit the OEM front opening as it narrows more towards the bottom. These speakers have a very wide base and sit very deep; so I am going to have to return them and am wondering if ordering the Kappas in a 5 1/4" would fit? I checked the measurements and the 5 1/4" only requires 4 11/16" diameter/length whereas the 6.5" requires 5 1/8". If it weren't for those "bars" you see going from the base magnet up to the frame, it would definitely fit width wise. :thumbsdow

Factory front speaker:

Depress this tab and then lift UP to remove the bottom two tabs from their holes:

OEM vs. Infinity 6.5"

So...until I figure out what speakers I can use (I'd really like to keep them all consistent and stick with the Infinity Kappas) the project can't come to an end just yet.

But on the flip side, the rear sound fantastic!! I had to fade the music all the way to the front to even ensure that the fronts were on lol! I will fine-tune the amp later today when I wake up - I didn't want to do it at 10pm when I finished as I don't think my neighbors would've been too happy ha.

(Sold 7/26/17)

(Purchased 5/18/17)

Last edited by DreaminAccord; April 14th, 2015 at 06:19 AM..
Old April 14th, 2015, 06:33 AM   #16
Carpe Diem

People questioned my use of 5.25" speakers in the front door instead of 6.5" speakers and now you know exactly why I went with what I did.

Good job on the install.
ikethegreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 14th, 2015, 09:29 AM   #17
6 Speed-O

I had to dremel & use mdf adapters for a clean installation.
I initially upgraded to 5.25"s because they were easier to install, but they look small (even the OEM speaker was 6.5") so later I upgraded again, that time to 6.5"s.

Similar to this:

Last edited by e713; April 14th, 2015 at 09:41 AM..
e713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 16th, 2015, 02:18 PM   #18

I have Saph sending me custom made wooden spacers and the seller said they would not authorize my return as I'm "17 days over the 30 day return" policy. Psh. whatever. I WAS just going to turn around and buy the 5.25" off the same seller but their loss! haha I'm going to make these 6.5s work one way or another

(Sold 7/26/17)

(Purchased 5/18/17)
Old April 18th, 2015, 02:35 AM   #19

Awwwww yeahhhh

(Sold 7/26/17)

(Purchased 5/18/17)
Old April 19th, 2015, 10:15 PM   #20

Infinity Kappa Project....COMPLETE

I just finished installing the front 6.5's which I made fit through custom rigging of the Infinity supplied adapters and the Metra spacers. Thank you, Geoff, for making and sending me the custom wooden ones but they weren't thick enough to work - I had everything torn apart for a second time already so I was determined to make those suckers work! ha

My custom spacer rigged up:

Ran 4x 16G speaker wire through each OEM door grommet for a nice, clean install. This part was a BIOTCH. Two go to the OEM harness to feed the front LOC and the other two run back to the amp:

Notice I purchased another pair of the OEM wiring harness adapters so my OEM harness is still untouched in both the front & the rear

Passenger side mounted:

Clean, OEM-quality install:

Door panel re-installed without any fitment issues or modifications necessary:

Front LOC located in passenger side footwell all wired up for both L & R sides. The Rockford Fosgate RCAs run back to the amp. I chose to install the LOC here, instead of behind the navi unit, as I already have enough crap jammed back there. I also did not want to splice the OEM harness. So now, everything is able to be reverted back to stock:

Everything re-installed on the passenger side...no wires!

4x Channels + 1 Subwoofer AMP'd baby! Wires kept as neat as possible:

Driver side re-installed:

(Sold 7/26/17)

(Purchased 5/18/17)
Old April 20th, 2015, 10:21 AM   #21
6 Speed-O

Looks Good. Yea that OEM door grommet is a task.
e713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 20th, 2015, 04:22 PM   #22
JDM UC1

OEM door grommet is no fun. lol.
toinkee69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 30th, 2015, 06:08 PM   #23

Finished the final step this afternoon - dynamatting the front doors (trunk & rear deck were already completed a few weeks back).

Entire door panel removed, revealing OEM water vapor barrier:

Remove vapor barrier:

Door shell:

Interior side of door shell received dynamat as well:

Exterior door shell complete on passenger side:

Exterior door shell complete on driver side:

May good music and no road noise be with you
HEcreated487 likes this.

(Sold 7/26/17)

(Purchased 5/18/17)
Old May 11th, 2015, 06:15 PM   #24

What does the nav unit offer that the stock HU does not? Also do you have to add the section above the front vents?

Nice build btw. I'm also looking at the infinita kappa's but realized I needed to build separate housing for the front's after I took my door panel off, so avoided getting stuck like you. I will be subless, but with them amped think I should get decent sound.

Kneivel do you think the power pack amp could fit behind the nav unit?
zeus159 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 11th, 2015, 10:31 PM   #25
dave

First time being here in a while and first time reading this thread DA. First off, I'm sure you love those kappas. I had a few sets BITD when they were still green cones. They were the best sounding speakers I've ever heard. Even off just the hu they sounded good but once I amped them and set their xovr to high, the highs were high enough to make your ears bleed. I loved it. lol.

If I could suggest one thing. If you seal up all the holes under the door panel you'll notice a difference. I'm guessing that youre probably out of dynamat by now. Last install that I helped my buddy out with his car, he found some stuff that was almost like dynamat at home depot or lowes. I don't remember what it was called or where it was at in the store but I think it had to do with duct work I think. I went overkill on it and even layered up the inside of the outer door skin itself which really knocked road noise down a lot. Sealing up where the splash shield was at really tightend up the bass/midbass. Depending where you have your crossover or eq set at really makes the fronts sing. We upped it to about 250hz and cut out under 50 to the fronts and I've never heard/felt snare drums like that before in something that wasn't in a db competition. Just a thought. That stuff at HD/Lowes is really cheap.
ertpecs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 12th, 2015, 09:57 AM   #26
Calm like a bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus159 View Post
What does the nav unit offer that the stock HU does not? Also do you have to add the section above the front vents?

Nice build btw. I'm also looking at the infinita kappa's but realized I needed to build separate housing for the front's after I took my door panel off, so avoided getting stuck like you. I will be subless, but with them amped think I should get decent sound.

Kneivel do you think the power pack amp could fit behind the nav unit?

I'm not sure. I think there is some extra bulk on the navi units. There are other spots you can use, just make sure you can run the wire to it.
Old May 30th, 2015, 09:43 AM   #27

Thanks Dave! But no buddy, I ordered a sh1t ton of Dynamat haha Forget how many sq. ft. but I still have like 4-5 sheets left What are you suggesting now?

@ Steve / Zeus: Maybe this will help you out?

Stock:

Navigation:

(Sold 7/26/17)

(Purchased 5/18/17)

Last edited by DreaminAccord; May 30th, 2015 at 10:50 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in