weight comparison between OEM Hood and CF Hood - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By 2i2dk1ny2i3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 3rd, 2015, 01:47 PM   #1

weight comparison between OEM Hood and CF Hood

i couldn't find anyone who did a weight comparison info so hope this helps anyone else looking to possible get a Carbon Fiber Hood in the future. sry for camera phone pics

1. OEM 2003 Accord 4dr Hood weighs in 32-33 pounds: (a guy who picked up my OEM Hood that same day so weighed/took pic that day)

2. underside of OEM Hood weighed without Hood Under Padding

3. Carbon Fiber Hood weighs in at 20 pds.

4. 10 pound weight plate to check accuracy

For anyone looking to get a Carbon Fiber Hood, the style i got was:

VSII-style carbon fiber hood for 2003-2007 Honda Accord 4DR

VSII-style carbon fiber hood for 2003-2007 Honda Accord 4DR

pic of what it looks like:

all CF Hoods should weight about the same so to shave 12-13 Pounds from the Front Engine Area is significant

even with things like lightweight battery or other lighter engine components, it'd be hard to get anywhere near that much within the same price range of a CF Hood
invsblduck and accord325 like this.
2i2dk1ny2i3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 4th, 2015, 08:57 AM   #2

Good info. Thanks
accord325 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 4th, 2015, 08:47 PM   #3

Good info, thanks bud. Relocating the battery to trunk, and the hood combined, would be great for the weight balance.
ST-Accord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old April 6th, 2015, 01:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-Accord View Post
Relocating the battery to trunk, and the hood combined, would be great for the weight balance.
i think its worth it if your trying to shave 12 lbs. from the front end

the amount of money it would take to change certain Engine parts to lighter weight material, cost/benefit...its worth it
Old April 6th, 2015, 12:23 PM   #5

answering a PM on DA i got here so i don't have to double post it and its relevant for anyone who wants to consider all facets of going to Carbon Fiber

"Does the CF hood allow you to use the airlift or do you need to revert back to using a hood prop?"

yes, i was able to use the OEM airlifts and the Hood had predrilled holes and OEM sized 10mm hole slots for all Four Bolts.

i had in mine that i would have to go back to a Hood prop but as long as your not constantly swinging the Hood up, there shouldn't be any issues

i would NOT recommend ever using the Rear Shocks on any full sized Hatchbacks (certain cases like older Civics may be ok). when i had a Full Carbon Fiber Rear Hatch, i removed the OEM airlifts because the amount of pressure they provided to lift a OEM Full Rear Hatch, they can crack even the best of CF Full Rear Hatches

example of a Full Rear Hatch: (i wouldn't use Rear lifts even if instead of glass, went w/something light like Lexan:

Lexans great but never had actual experience w/not using the OEM Rear Defroster or using something else to defrost rear window in a true 4 Season state), example of Lexan but cost benefit of Rear Defroster is something to consider:

older Civics, still a Rear Hatchback but way less weight than above + OEM Glass or Lexan, etc:

on the Accord, this shouldn't be a problem if you went Full Rear Trunk. main issue here would be making sure your not constantly slamming the Rear Trunk. i found that you can literally bring the Trunk almost all the way close, then just gently tap close

i cringe when friends/family just drop the Rear Trunk lid even though i know its OEMand there shouldn't be any probs

hope this helps and feel free to PM/post w/any questions, concerns
Old April 6th, 2015, 03:53 PM   #6
SK8 OR DIE

Thanks for the detailed info. I recall having to find that on another forum (HT maybe), that my Seibon hood weighed about 15-20 lbs. I never actually weighed them when I did the swap unfortunately, because I was in a pinch and had it shipped to the body shop repairing front-end damage to my car at the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in