custom: DIY Gas Cover - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 2i2dk1ny2i3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 26th, 2015, 01:56 PM   #1

custom: DIY Gas Cover

well the only one i'm aware of that looks decent is this one:

i found these 2 but their stuck on type w/3M tape and not 100% if they would even fit:

Car Styling Car Auto Oil Fuel Tank Cover Cap For Honda Accord Gas Lid Best Solution For MOMO/TRD-in Tank Covers from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

For Honda Accord Sedan 2013 2015 Car Styling Stainless Steel Fuel Oil Gas Cap Tank Cover Trim Free Shipping-in Tank Covers from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

decided to make my own and hopfully this will help someone in the near future:

Parts Used/Required:

1. Carbon Fiber Vinyl
2. genuine H Emblem from an Accord
3. genuine OEM Honda Gas Cover
4. Drill and a bit of grease to mark drill points to fit the 2 tabs on the HONDA emblem
5. Dishwasher Soap
6. Paper or Terry Towel

Step 1, pic of all parts, drill bit ended up being 2 different sizes, 1 to drill iniitial hole, then 2nd to enlarge to fit the plastic tabs on back of H emblem:

2. taking pre-drilling best placement, decided on center:

3. Carbon Fiber Vinyl laid on. if you've never worked with Vinyl before, its not too hard to make sure you don't get any nasty bubbles w/a mixture of dishwasher soap and water. then using a blow dryer and a credit card or other card size, slowly squeeze out air bubbles. another thing is i cut the vinyl long enough to have "traction" from the edges once adhesion is achieved on all corners and sides

4. holes drilled and emblem fitted:

5. i bought it in red for the purpose of cutting around the H logo to give it some contrast, was also thinking silver but i like how the red turned out:

6. polishing up the H emblem with NeverDull chrome polish pads:

7. final product pics without flash:

took about an hour total but i've worked w/vinyl before and in regards to skill/difficulty, i would say 4 out of 10.

drilling being the hardest part and making sure the vinyl doesn't form even the tiniest air bubble. install is basically 2 10mm bolts on and off

if you guys seen something other than pictured or any opinions are appreciated

thanks for looking
oraclem19 likes this.
2i2dk1ny2i3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 1st, 2015, 01:00 PM   #2

nice write-up, looks good. I've never seen anyone do that before.
jjhuffyo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in