Fixing falling headliner - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 27th, 2016, 05:37 AM   #1

Fixing falling headliner

I know this is a common problem in Florida since I'm a Honda tech and see many cars at the dealership... The headliner on our cars have a thin foam layer between the cloth and structural back board that breaks down over time and causes the headliner cloth to fall down. I'd like to remove my headliner and strip that foam then re-wrap my headliner with new cloth material. Curious if anyone has done this and has a recommendation for removing the foam layer from the backboard. I considered pressure washer in the sun then a blow gun to help dry it off. Just not sure it it'll handle the water.
After that I may wrap it in suede, desert camo cloth, plaid... I dunno something crafty but not obnoxious or distracting.
Ktm434 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 27th, 2016, 09:35 AM   #2

I did this on a Civic and had the same plan as you until I tried to remove the foam and realized it was gonna be a real pain. I left the foam on. I bought some automotive interior fabric from an online place.

For the adhesive, there is 3M spray which I tried but think the results were mixed and if I recall correctly I ended up starting over and using contact cement, but had to be careful not to press too hard while installing and have the orange glue squeeze through the fabric and leave stains.

The end result was pretty good overall. There were a few small bubbles and inconsistencies but not noticeable unless looking for them.

Later I used some of the extra fabric to wrap the armrest.
Old May 27th, 2016, 09:37 AM   #3

Yeah I have 3M spray that I've used repeatedly for the back of the headliner when it falls down. I think the deteriorated foam interferes with its ability to adhere properly

Old May 27th, 2016, 04:00 PM   #4
The name is Z

Well, since I experienced this very same issue a year ago and replaced my fabric with a fleece material I picked up in Wallyworld, I can tell you that removing the foam was a bit tedious but worth the trouble. I used a plastic spreader (wide putty knife) to scrape the crappy foam off, sprayed the 3m adhesive and then laid down the fleece. Been good since then.
CrackerTeg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 27th, 2016, 07:02 PM   #5

the problem i had was with my rear quarter panel and a pillars

i thought mine had more to do with moisture or water entering the roof moldings as there is a TSB on it:

Roof Molding Channel leaks water TSB listed below

2003 honda accord ex v6 leak along a pillar - Honda-Tech

http://honda-tech.com/attachments/ho...tsb-03-037.pdf

credits to HondaTech
2i2dk1ny2i3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 1st, 2016, 04:04 PM   #6

I would rewrap your headliner in matching suede like I plan to do.
AccordFire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 1st, 2016, 04:21 PM   #7

That's kinda what I was thinking. I used to be a BMW tech and always loved the headliners in the E39 M5
Old July 1st, 2016, 08:39 AM   #8

My next mod is to fully wrap the headliner and 3 pillars on each side in tan Alcantara. I am going to also replace the front and rear seat covers with all tan extasy leather from leatherseats.com.

I suggest anybody looking to do an interior upgrade/renovation do the same.
AccordFire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in