rims 18 or 17? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 9th, 2004, 07:37 PM   #1

rims 18 or 17?

should i get tenzo rs5 in 17" or 18"? cant make up my mind!
voltron_zeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 9th, 2004, 07:46 PM   #2
jinsoku.com

Send a message via AIM to vTecaznracer
18s...you will regret getting 17s especially since you have a 7g.
with the 7g's big bodies, rims look smaller...imo
vTecaznracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 9th, 2004, 10:46 PM   #3
7th Gen ACcord

18 for sure man. 17 is considered small on 7th gen. its like putting some 14s on a civic.
xjdMb16a2six is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old April 9th, 2004, 11:12 PM   #4
Satin Silver

chinoamigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 9th, 2004, 11:48 PM   #5
I Jumped Off Da Bandwagon

Get 18", I wanna see how they look on the 7th gen since i passed on those to get the mean 6s. Ur gonna get gunmetal?
Hongda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 10th, 2004, 02:44 PM   #6
clear the way!!!

Send a message via AIM to adamkim83
18 or 19's =)
adamkim83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 10th, 2004, 02:48 PM   #7
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

hell, 19's even look small. just get 20's. make sure they're really heavy too.
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 10th, 2004, 03:39 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to 03 Aero Coupe
I just purchased 17's after much research. The latest Motor Tend has a great write up on plus sizing and the decision was easy after that. I purchased the Factory HFP 5 spoke wheels in Gunmetal. I am painting the logo's gunmetal as well. I have no chrome on my car and the v^ and Accord has been shaved.

I will wait unil I wear out the factory set of tires before I mount them. I have seen some 19's and 20's on this site and I think they do not look good with teh very , very small side wall of the tire and too much of the hub exposed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

03 Aero Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 10th, 2004, 04:06 PM   #9

18" atleast... I got 18" Racing Hart C2 (3pc) and even I regret not getting 19"

SAY NO TO 17's!!!
hondatuner7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 12th, 2004, 08:37 AM   #10
I love this car!

Quote:
Originally posted by hondatuner7
18" atleast... I got 18" Racing Hart C2 (3pc) and even I regret not getting 19"

SAY NO TO 17's!!!
im with aero coupe. some 18's look good, but i am definitely going to stick with 17. They are perfect IMO! Cant say I like 20's at all...

Tein H-tech
CL-s sway
35% tint
rpgonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 12th, 2004, 08:50 AM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to 03Accord
Quote:
Originally posted by 03 Aero Coupe
I just purchased 17's after much research. The latest Motor Tend has a great write up on plus sizing and the decision was easy after that. I purchased the Factory HFP 5 spoke wheels in Gunmetal. I am painting the logo's gunmetal as well. I have no chrome on my car and the v^ and Accord has been shaved.

I will wait unil I wear out the factory set of tires before I mount them. I have seen some 19's and 20's on this site and I think they do not look good with teh very , very small side wall of the tire and too much of the hub exposed.
What was in the article that sold you on 17"? I'm fighting the same decision, but waiting for the stock tires to wear out.
03Accord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 12th, 2004, 09:41 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to 03 Aero Coupe
Quote:
Originally posted by 03Accord
What was in the article that sold you on 17"? I'm fighting the same decision, but waiting for the stock tires to wear out.
May 2004 , Motro trend, page 134 to 136. This is required reading. Very techinal but it makes it point to saying no to at least 18's , 19's and 20's for our cars.

03 Aero Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 12th, 2004, 10:52 AM   #13

I just read the article Aero was talking about..interesting. Not much that we didn't know already...larger rims = poor ride quality, higher inertia, etc.

I'd like to see test data done on the other issues, suspension wear and tear, braking distance, etc.

I think going +2 to 18's wouldn't be bad, but any higher and you probably run into issues like they say. Me personally, I think 17's are going to be it. Just because the roads are horrible around here, even in the summer.
Old April 12th, 2004, 04:01 PM   #14
I love this car!

article

the above article is a counter point to the argument given in MT. Its a long read, but the practical application of all the rambling can be seen at the bottom where the data is shown. The data consistently shows better performance with plus sized tires on an AUTOCROSS track. Multiple drivers on the track multiple times showed a definite trend for increased performance with larger sized rims. In the end, any increased inertia is offset by better stability, handling and control due to shorter sidewalls. The conclusion here is that plus sized tires are better for autoX, but no conclusion is made about 0-60 times or acceleration which very well could still be affected.

The next article goes into physics analysis of inertia. The key point to this analysis is that the increased inertia due to size of rim compared to the amount of torque necessary to accelerate a car is like worrying about whether or not you wear socks when running the 100m dash. The REAL issue is the WEIGHT of the rim. If you chose a 19" rim that is light weight, then there is negligible difference according to the author. Now, metal socks... that makes a difference.

It seems that the data then is inconclusive with respect to the MT article. This leads me to believe the difference in rim size is too small to be measured.

What I can attest to is the noise and ride quality of 17" compared to 18". I had a 350z with 17" rims, and my friend had the 18". Same brand tire, same exact car but his car was loud and rough. HOWEVER, his car has better autoX performance.

Dont forget, 19" tires start getting EXPENSIVE!!

Tein H-tech
CL-s sway
35% tint
Old April 12th, 2004, 04:33 PM   #15

i got 18" RS-5 silver on sales..if u want ..pm me
ponickka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 12th, 2004, 08:48 PM   #16

rpgonzalez wut do u mean by loud and rough?
Old April 13th, 2004, 12:41 AM   #17
I love this car!

... well, with 18" tires the sidewall is smaller and is stiffer, and this changes a couple of things:

the first thing is that the road noise was louder with my friends 18's. He eventually spent alot o $$$ dynomating everything, and still could not get the cab as quiet. More road noise is simply transferred from the road to the car because of the shorter sidewall.

Also lower sidewalls mean less
shock absorption and more bumps can be felt in the car. The ride gets a little rouger as more road imperfections are transferred into the cabin. Lower
sidewalls also means its easier to get flat tires when hitting bad potholes, and makes it easier to damage the rims curbside.

Tein H-tech
CL-s sway
35% tint
Old April 13th, 2004, 01:05 AM   #18
I feel da need 4 6-speeds

Send a message via ICQ to flyvtec Send a message via AIM to flyvtec Send a message via Yahoo to flyvtec
Quote:
Originally posted by 03 Aero Coupe on April 10th, 2004 at 01:39 PM

I agree witcha. I'm sticking w/17s but can't decide which one to get...I like BBS wheels. Lowering with CompTech springs when they are available in May.

flyvtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 13th, 2004, 08:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally posted by rpgonzalez
article

the above article is a counter point to the argument given in MT. Its a long read, but the practical application of all the rambling can be seen at the bottom where the data is shown. The data consistently shows better performance with plus sized tires on an AUTOCROSS track.
The two articles come from different points of view. MT is looking more at the safety/suspension issues of long term running on bigger rims and the other article looks at the performance of them. I don't think anyone would argue the point that lower profile tires would increase performance, at least in autox.

Quote:
The next article goes into physics analysis of inertia. The key point to this analysis is that the increased inertia due to size of rim compared to the amount of torque necessary to accelerate a car is like worrying about whether or not you wear socks when running the 100m dash. The REAL issue is the WEIGHT of the rim. If you chose a 19" rim that is light weight, then there is negligible difference according to the author. Now, metal socks... that makes a difference.
This was argued extensively in another thread...If you have gobs of torque (which we don't ), then the bigger rims aren't going to be that noticible.

The testers in this article did notice a difference in acceleration off the corner with the larger rims. The time was made up with the ability to get through the corner faster.

What does it all mean ...

if you are going to drag your ride - go with smaller rim/tires

if you are looking for handling performace (autox) - go with plus sizes

Joe avg. driver - go with whatever floats your boat (or doesn't drain your wallet - seems +1 or 2 would offer good compromise
Old April 13th, 2004, 08:44 PM   #20

kumho ecsta 712 or falken ze 512 or yokohama es100? which is hte best tire? yokohama is priced the highest but which is the best?
Old April 13th, 2004, 10:10 PM   #21
I love this car!

Quote:
Originally posted by 03Accord
If you have gobs of torque (which we don't ), then the bigger rims aren't going to be that noticible.
Im not talking about "gobs of torque"... If you didnt have the torque Im referring to, the car wouldnt move. This is a 3300lb car moving quickly.. its got torque!

Tein H-tech
CL-s sway
35% tint
Old April 13th, 2004, 10:26 PM   #22

ok...so tires...bigger better meanning.....which of the 3 should i get

Last edited by voltron_zeo; April 13th, 2004 at 10:38 PM..
Old April 14th, 2004, 09:01 AM   #23
I love this car!

if you are tyring to decide for tires.. go here You should click on review and check to see what has to be said. Some tires are better at somethings than others... depends on what you value.

Tein H-tech
CL-s sway
35% tint
Old April 14th, 2004, 09:05 AM   #24
v6p gangster

dont get 17 get 128's you'll regret it in the long run....

SHIFT_future
FEEL THE SKYLINE | DRIVE JAPAN 日本
PFizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 16th, 2004, 09:25 PM   #25
THLA 2009 Bombsquad

Send a message via AIM to Dtownz Thrillah
18 are the best looking on a 7th gen
Dtownz Thrillah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 28th, 2004, 06:39 PM   #26

First of all road noise is caused by rubber compounds and tread pattern/design. I have had 19's and 17's on my 6 speed, and I say 19's all the way and 18's if you cant afford them. My 19's were even quieter on the road than the factory 17's, so if you buy the right tire there will be no road noise. Also less side wall means less side wall roll over which intern gives you cripser handling. And yes bigger wheels always look better, thats why BMW's,Mercedes,Porsche, and all the other Bad Azz cars roll on more wheel less tire.
Old April 28th, 2004, 10:00 PM   #27
I love this car!

Quote:
Originally posted by 6SpeedMaster
thats why BMW's,Mercedes,Porsche, and all the other Bad Azz cars roll on more wheel less tire.
NIIIIIIICE.... you win

Tein H-tech
CL-s sway
35% tint
Old April 29th, 2004, 05:41 AM   #28
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

Quote:
Originally posted by 6SpeedMaster
And yes bigger wheels always look better
I don't think so.

I think big huge rims and tiny little tire sidewalls look odd and out of place on "Accords". Makes them look like they're trying to be something that they're not.
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 30th, 2004, 07:18 PM   #29

i just ordered 17's

Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 30th, 2004, 08:55 PM   #30

Was just reading Mays issue of Motor Trend - noticed that both the GTO and the AMG CLK55 both run 17".
V6Sedan04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in