Installed Alpine Type-S + Dynamat Xtreme - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 16th, 2004, 03:43 PM   #1
Clueless Newbie

Smile Installed Alpine Type-S + Dynamat Xtreme

http://melvinchu.com/gallery/view_al...speakerinstall

Also took a small movie just b/c my new A80 has that capability

http://www.melvinchu.com/videos/dynamat.avi

Spent the better half of the day yesterday (5 hours total) installing the speakers + Dynamat. In retrospect, I think the jig-sawing of the Dynamat was a mistake - I should have just taken off the retaining clips off all the wiring and flat-paneled the Dynamat, but what's done is done. All I really cared about was the Dynamat over the speaker anyway, I just had the whole door kit so I wanted to use most of it.

All in all a simple process - probably would have been much faster if I didn't jigsaw it all.

Regarding the speakers themselves - honestly, initially I'm a little disappointed in them. They're Alpine's lowest end, not meant to be amped - only 40w RMS, 200w peak. But compared to my old Infinity References (60/180), they don't seem to hit quite as hard. Even back in my old car with only the fronts replaced running off the stock HU, I think the References were much better. Aluminum plated cone, rubber butyl surrounds. (The References were polypropolene as the cone)

I did drive it around some more last night and slowly liked it more and more. The bass response isn't overpowering but it is very good overall. Perhaps it's because the rears are already buzzing with the bass at 4 and volume around 17 that it detracts from the front speakers. If you do not plan on amping your speakers the Type-S is the way to go. If you do plan on amping your speakers, the Type-S isn't the way to go, component or not. Perhaps the Type-R's would be better for Alpines, or a different brand in general.

In terms of the Dynamat - I'm glad I at least Dynamatted the speaker area - plastic to metal with metal screws might have made for some rattle/noise, but I heard none last night. The car seemed a bit quiter overall and the doors didn't have quite the same cheap hollow sound when you closed them. It also isn't going to turn your car into Lexus quality quietness - many people mistake that it will and it's stupid to think that it would.

Also - like I've said before in many other threads - you do not need speaker adapter harnesses. I scratch my head as to why some people are wasting $15 when all you have to do is take off the plastic adapter and you're left with the normal +/- wires, minus the rubber surround. This goes for both the front and rear speakers.

Also one last note - I am not an audiophile, car guru, or expert of any means/fashion. I am pretty much a newbie (as attributed to my title) - I was afraid of modding my old car, a 1988 Honda Accord sedan, and even more so on a brand new one. I finally said F-it, grow some balls and just take some risks.

I took pictures of all my installs just because I want everyone else who is afraid or possibly hesitant to install something new on their car to be able to have some confidence in knowing wtf they're doing when they're doing it. There's probably better/other ways of doing the same install, yes, but the way I did it was to show the newbie side of it.

Any questions/comments you have let me know and I'll be happy to answer it

Melvin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Satin Interior / TL rear sway / Type-S Front Speakers / Dynamat Xtreme / Infinity Basslink / Pioneer DEH-P7700MP
GraphiteI4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 16th, 2004, 08:22 PM   #2
V6P Model Rep.

Send a message via AIM to Swerve
that was a REALLY good write up!!!

thanks for the info and pics...

now maybe I can finally upgrade my ICE...hehe
Swerve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 16th, 2004, 10:09 PM   #3
I AM LOST....

Send a message via AIM to brex
nice... really good writeup with pix and diagramed.. big
brex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old May 16th, 2004, 10:13 PM   #4
vroom vroom

Really nice write up and pictures!

I too was afraid of modding, especially DIY mods; but I figured, you'll never learn anything if you never try it.
Old May 16th, 2004, 11:04 PM   #5
Clueless Newbie

Thanks for the kind comments Out of curiousity though - is the jig-sawing of the Dynamat really not the way to install that? There's nothing I can do now unfortunately, just for future reference or if I ever do the rear doors. I'm not much of an audio guru so I'd like to know for future reference
Old May 16th, 2004, 11:27 PM   #6
I Jumped Off Da Bandwagon

I hope you'll have a write-up of the Basslink install too.
Hongda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 17th, 2004, 12:54 AM   #7
mog

What does removing this screw do? http://melvinchu.com/gallery/view_ph...id=Picture_004

I didnt havent to remove that....

Also, I had trouble removing the big fat connector...Did you have to pry on it real hard or is there some little thing you gotta press and pull?
mog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:43 AM   #8
Clueless Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by mog
What does removing this screw do? http://melvinchu.com/gallery/view_ph...id=Picture_004

I didnt havent to remove that....

Also, I had trouble removing the big fat connector...Did you have to pry on it real hard or is there some little thing you gotta press and pull?
The coupe iirc you remove two screws in a different place. (I don't know why they made the coupe installation different from the sedan).

Regarding the large harness - you just press the middle tab in and pull up and out.

The basslink - I'm just kind of nervous running cables from the battery, drilling a hole in the firewall, and all the way to the back, but like any other install, it's just a matter of doing it once and getting it over with

Satin Interior / TL rear sway / Type-S Front Speakers / Dynamat Xtreme / Infinity Basslink / Pioneer DEH-P7700MP
Old May 17th, 2004, 08:23 PM   #9
mog

Great thanks!
mog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 18th, 2004, 07:03 AM   #10
14.58 =Quickest Gen7 auto

Quote:
Originally posted by GraphiteI4 on May 17th, 2004 at 01:43 PM

[B]...... drilling a hole in the firewall......../B]
No experience myself, but others have posted about useing an existing hole/grommet in the firewall to run stereo wiring thru.
03LXV6Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 18th, 2004, 10:38 PM   #11

Yes I ran the power wire thru the firewall rubber grommet around the steering shaft . You'll see it. I have a question though I'm having problems identifying the remote wire on my coupe navi. Anyone know, I can't finish my amp installation, so I'm running with no music right now.
JayVee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in