DIY headlight: Does this sound right? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 22nd, 2004, 02:02 PM   #1

DIY headlight: Does this sound right?

Found this link and it seemed like a pretty good description for DIY blackhousing. Does this sound right? Imma do it soon and will follow these instructions unless somebody tells me otherwise.

Black Headlight Housing
REMOVING THE FRONT BUMPER 1. Open up your hood and remove 6 clips on top of your bumper with a flat head screwdriver. 2. Under your car, there are (8) 10mm screws that need to be removed with a 10mm socket wrench. 3. Where your fender and bumper touch, on each side thereíre 10mm screws. Remove them. 4. From inside, under the headlight there should be (2) 10mm screws. Remove them. 5. The front bumper should come right off, if not please double check for any left over screws that you may have missed. REMOVING THE HEADLIGHTS AND WIRE (HID) 1. There are (4) 10mm screws that need to be remove with 10mm socket wrench. 2. Once you pull out the headlights, remove the wire clip that hold it and everything should be completely out. 3. Behind the headlights has a weather seal to protect the bulbs. Remove that by turning counter-clock wise 4. Remove all turns/parking light bulbs. 5. Remove the bulbs and wire using a screwdriver. Including the wire clip that hold down the bulb. BEWARE!!! REMEMBER WHERE EACH BULB GOES. Remembering to put them back to where they were was a pain for me. OPENING UP THE HEADLIGHT 1. On your headlight there should be a small philips screw around them that need to be removed (1 or 2 I donít remember exactly). 2. Pre-heat your cooking oven @ 250 degrees for 5 minutes. 3. When the 5 mins. is up, set a piece of WET cardboard on top of the oven tray. 4. Place your headlight housing on top of the WET cardboard. (make sure no wires or bulbs are attached) and make sure that NONE of the parts of the housing touches the oven sides. 5. Bake your housing for 7 minutes. 6. After 7 minutes, remove it from the oven. The silicone should be melted. With your bare hand, CAREFULLY try to open it up by tugging and pulling. You may want to use gloves since the housing will still be hot. If you are not the Incredible Hulk like me (haha), you may need a 2nd person to help you or use a flat head to pry it open. 7. While opening, make sure no silicone stick inside your housing. If yes try to clean it off. * In case you can't open it. re-wet the cardboard and throw it back in for about 3 minutes and it should be good to go. BLACK HOUSING (Whatever you do from here is your choice) 1. The inside chrome part is held by (2) philips screws so remove that and you can take that chrome piece out to paint. 2. The orange strip (amber side markers) is easy to remove so I am sure anyone can do this. 3. Paint the outer housing with primer. 4. Once primed, you paint the other housing with flat black paint. *Note: Any flat black paint will do. It doesnít really need to be high temp but if you want to be cautious, buy high temp since it doesnít cost that much more. And whether you want to use flat or glossy paint is up to you. 5. I paint only a small portion of the inner housing but you'll need masking tape to cover the part where you don't want paint. 6. You need to let the paint dry first before putting everything back together. * However you want to do is your black housing is up to you *Note: when taping up parts where you donít want it painted, try to find a tape where the glue will not stick to chrome too much because once you peel away the tape, the sticky glue residue will stick to the chrome and itís a PITA (pain in the ass) to remove. When removing the glue on the chrome part, be careful not to scratch too hard because u can end up damaging the chrome finish. I learned this the hard way unfortunately. =( 7. Once all the painting is finished, put everything back and the housing goes back into the oven! BACK TO THE OVEN!!! 1. Push your headlight back together as much as you can. 2. re-wet the cardboard 3. @ 250 degrees, place the headlight on top of the cardboard for3 mins. (Itís not necessary to pre-heat). 4. Remove it and push your headlight back together as much as you can. Try your best not to have any opening. Look for possible holes where water can get in to prevent future condensation. 5. Once the housing is back in place, have some RTV silicone (can pick one up @ your local auto store) and spread it along the housing. this will cover any open holes. 6. Let it dry before re-installing them. TADA!!! Enjoy your DIY Black housing!! =) Once the silicone is dry, just go backward on removing everything. Here are some personal tips. 1. Begin this project early, in case you do things wrong you still have sunlight. 2. A helping hand is always A+. Be thankful and treat them out to lunch. Hehe. 3. Please have all the necessary tools ready. (Just a 10mm socket wrench, flat head and philips screwdriver). 4. Organize all the screws you remove into one place. 5. Make sure everything is properly sealed. You don't want water or moisture in there since it could damage your light bulbs
03pcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 22nd, 2004, 03:14 PM   #2
Satin Silver

yes.
chinoamigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 22nd, 2004, 03:01 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to duman
Wow
duman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old August 17th, 2004, 07:01 PM   #4
06 Nissan 350z

Send a message via AIM to jeffr03
I cant get my headlights out!!! i have taking out the bolts but its still not budging out, maybe a bit more muscle i dunno but i dont want to break it
Old August 17th, 2004, 07:24 PM   #5
Living in Japan sucks.

Send a message via AIM to Tignws
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffr03
I cant get my headlights out!!! i have taking out the bolts but its still not budging out, maybe a bit more muscle i dunno but i dont want to break it
if you take out all the4 bolts then it should come out with no force at all, check if you got them all out
Tignws is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 17th, 2004, 08:55 PM   #6
Satin Silver

one on the side, two on the front, one on top.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

so.cal
UCLA FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!
chinoamigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 17th, 2004, 09:15 PM   #7
06 Nissan 350z

Send a message via AIM to jeffr03
Ok got it out but its getting to late to finish any comments on what to do to make it easier to pry them apart? whats a better color to paint for a black car? black or gun metal?
Old August 20th, 2004, 02:40 PM   #8

I am planning to do it too(when I have time), and I think I will use black, don't really like the gun metal look.
bigjason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 6th, 2005, 08:40 PM   #9

hmm i took my headlights out once before but for some reason they are not coming out now. all the screws are out. still jammed in there?
habibnazir is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 6th, 2005, 09:27 PM   #10
St. Louis!

thats the longest ramble of a post ive ever seen.
Kingof3rdinput is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 6th, 2005, 11:22 PM   #11

nevermind .. i didn't realize i had the wrong screw out!!! haha got 'em out!
habibnazir is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 7th, 2005, 07:48 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to littodevil
One thing that's not exactly accurate in there; it's the part where it says to take it out of the oven and take your bare hands and pry it open. Unless you have the grip and strength, you won't be able to just "pull it apart". The front clear half and the rear black half of the housing are clipped together with the molded in clips along the edge. The best way to get them sepearted without burning yourself after you get it out of the oven is to take a flat medium sized screw driver and pry the clips out a little bit and then go around the edge and THEN pull it apart slowly with gloves on. Whoa a long sentense, anyways that's the best way to take it apart.

Then when you put it back together, just squeeze it together after it comes out of the oven again and push the clips down and squeeze them together until it cools down, with gloves on obviously, unless your hand can withstand a surface temp of about 100+ for very long. Anything above 98.6 degrees will seem pretty darn warm to hot to you hehe.

Have a great weekend,
Larry
HID Performance
(650) 703-0911
[email protected]
littodevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in