Going to cut the key off the FOB, any problems? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 17th, 2004, 07:03 AM   #1

Going to cut the key off the FOB, any problems?

My gf has the valet key to my car and it would be cool if she could also have the extra functions of the remote (trunk release and window up and down). I'm going to get another FOB programmed into the car, but then I'm thinking about cutting the key part off of it to make it a bit smaller. Will cutting the key part off cause any problems to FOB?
Gutterball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 17th, 2004, 07:22 AM   #2
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

just give her the whole key/FOB and take the valet back

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali (soon) | 2011 BMW 335i convertible (current) | 2007 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD (sold to folks) | 1999 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT (sold) | 2001 Accord EX V6 (RIP 2002)

SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 17th, 2004, 07:47 AM   #3
6MT

Send a message via AIM to SlayerGTR
u lettin her drive ur car? o_O

SlayerGTR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old July 17th, 2004, 08:04 AM   #4

?? Wouldn't I have to have the "new" key cut to my ignition somehow? It's not a blank key, it's used....I just wanted the FOB part

Yah, don't you guys/gals let your significant others drive your cars?
Old July 17th, 2004, 08:06 AM   #5
v6p gangster

^^ No

SHIFT_future
FEEL THE SKYLINE | DRIVE JAPAN 日本
PFizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 17th, 2004, 10:24 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to JPAccord
you can just fork out the 125 bucks for a new key/fob....

Signature violation: modifications list.

*If it's too LOUD, youre too OLD.
JPAccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 17th, 2004, 10:56 AM   #7

If I had to, I would...but why get a new key/FOB for $125 when I can just get a used 10$ key and program it to work with my car? All I need is the FOB portion. Okay, when I get it, I'll just hack it up and let you guys know if it'll work, it's only $10
Old July 17th, 2004, 03:11 PM   #8
Make Way for The Bad Guy!

Send a message via AIM to JoeySmallz
There is a limit as to how many keys your car will let you program for your car. Any keys that are made over that limit will only alow you you to unlock the doors MANUALLY. Also once you program a new one you have to do redo all of them. I believe the limit is 3 keys and one valet.
JoeySmallz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 17th, 2004, 05:12 PM   #9
247Racing

Send a message via AIM to avenger408
i've taken the whole key fob apart before. you should search for that post. i got detail picture of the whole process. i took it apart to paint the key.

what i found out is the key fob have two portions. the metal keyblade and the keyless entry, their both separated.

at the end of the metal key, is where the chip/key code is at.
i guess you can take that apart and make sure to keep it attach to the chip.
because the valet key is the same.

now the keyless entry module. is in a separated waterproof compartment.
it still function independently from the fob. so if you want you can remove that and still use it with the buttons.

on programming a blank key, there's a way to program the key itself. but for the keyless entry/trunk i think you would have to goto the dealer since it have to change the digital signature on the fob it self.

with the blank key there's a step by step instruction how to do that somewhere.

hope that help

avenger408 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 17th, 2004, 06:09 PM   #10

Found the post, thanks Avenger! The pics seem to be gone from the site you posted before, but good info. I don't need the key portion of the FOB, just the remote part. I was thinking I would have to cut the key portion off, but it sounds like you just pop it out! Nice.

I did find the instructions online somewhere on how to add a remote and yes there is a 3 remote limit.

Thanks again! The gf will be happy she has keyless entry control now.
Old July 19th, 2004, 05:48 PM   #11
Out of my Mind, Somewhere

Send a message via Yahoo to TooHypper
These keys ROCK......my husband had them in his suimsuit pocket in the HOT tub and it still works.

CRAZY!
TooHypper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 19th, 2004, 06:50 PM   #12

Cool cool! Avenger mentioned there was a waterproofing around it.

I'm actually contemplating on carefully cutting up the valet key, take the blade/chip out and then move it over to the new FOB I'm getting. However if I mess up on the cutting, bye bye valet key!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in