lcd panel in factory navi? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 31st, 2005, 04:25 PM   #1
fool

lcd panel in factory navi?

This is probably a dumb question, which would make it on par with most of mine.

Has anyone here taken a serious look at hooking into the factory navi's lcd? I'm assuming it is an OEM part that Alpine(?) purchases from samsung or philips or someone like that. If it has a part number, it may be possible to get something external to drive it, and build a 'splitter'/'switcher' that you can flip back and forth. I want to build a pc for my car, but i'd really like to reuse the existing screen rather than tuck something into the cubbyhole or wherever.
jcims is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 31st, 2005, 04:34 PM   #2
St. Louis!

can you operate a computer on a 5.5" or whatever size lcd screen. I'd think the resolution would kill the plan.
Kingof3rdinput is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 31st, 2005, 05:22 PM   #3
I AM LOST....

Send a message via AIM to brex
there is already a kit that allows u to use navi lcd as normal TV/DVD display.. however, most LCD comes really low resolution (like 320x240) which can hardly be used for computer (even if computer is set to 640x480). You can see somewhat good graphic, but all text will be so messed up that u can't read them at all.
brex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old January 31st, 2005, 07:41 PM   #4

I'm not sure what you plan to do with a computer in your car but the thought has crossed my mind also. I've already starting looking into moding mine for a comp. I plan on wiring a Viao laptop into the car. My first plan is to wire it up to the stock headunit for MP3 playing since I've got like crap tons of my music on my comp at home (4000+ songs). It orginally started because of the mp3 issue, then I thought no sense in spending more cash on an mp3 player to put in the car seeing as I have this laptop lying here colecting dust. So I figured what the heck get some use out of this thing seeing as it was a freebie anyways.Then I'll be able to do what ever I want. After it's installed that is. My plan on paper for now is moding my glove box with slide rails so that once you open it up the comp will slide out so you can open it up and do what you need to do. Brex is correct, the screen in the car will be terrible to see anything because of the LCD resolution on the navi sys. That's another reason what made me come up with this idea. IE screen resoultion and more money for an MP3 player. Laptop idea wins, figure I should be able to DIY for less then lets say $225.00, plus the comp. Good luck to ya, keep us posted. And yes the favor shall be returned if I go ahead with the project. just not enough time, and to much work. Peace
sweet03accord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 31st, 2005, 07:47 PM   #5
I AM LOST....

Send a message via AIM to brex
^^ the only problem with that plan is usability.. how are you going to be using it while driving.. ? ie, change songs, etc..
brex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 31st, 2005, 08:14 PM   #6
^ lives for this stuff

Send a message via AIM to NDeedOne
not sure, but maybe nav-tv might be helpful:

http://www.nav-tv.com/

Like I said before.... NOT sure at all. so don't start clownin'
NDeedOne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 31st, 2005, 08:22 PM   #7

Thought of using it more as of a mp3 shuffler. I rarely ever listen to the radio and at times I get tired of swapping disk in and out even tho I've got the 6 disc in dash. But good call have an idea already. I work at a machine shop so anything is possible. Originally I was going to have extra long wires and just slide it under or mount under the passenger seat. If no one was in the car let it sit on the seat. If I'm not using it put it away. I do a lot of comp work on the side fixing and repairing so it would come in handy there also. Any more thoughts or ideas post away, all input is good input. Peace
Old January 31st, 2005, 10:20 PM   #8
St. Louis!

if your goin to drop 225 on some kinda DIY, buy an ipod for 299, and a soundate for 99, youre ready to go. You can put all your mp3's on there, and youre ready for business. And 2, Brex is right, how/why are you going to use a computer in the car, unless youve been watching too much techtv and are going out "warspying".
Kingof3rdinput is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 1st, 2005, 04:54 AM   #9
fool

I was planning on using mythtv (http://www.mythtv.org), which is designed for television interfaces. I would put an 802.11 wireless card in the car, and basically in the evenings push songs/movies/whatever to it. I could also put a tuner in it to get broadcast tv (via mythtv as well)

I'd also either put a bluetooth card in it so it could piggy back on my cell phone, or install a sprint pc connection card in it (not likely, too $$$ monthly) so i could pull info off of the internet with it. basically use a WAP browser designed for cell phones and be able to do basic internet usage for traffic reports, 411, etc (mythtv has a built in weather browser)

you could also have it read you your emails, monitor your car (with additional hardware of course), etc

who cares why...
Old February 1st, 2005, 05:46 AM   #10

jcims... hit the nail on the head. I'll be able to do what I've I need, and options aren't limitied this way . Plus like I said I do computer repair on the side and it would come in handy there so I don't have to move data and crap on disk. Lastly can't justifiy play $300 to listen to mp3 when I've got a comp lying around, and no matter what I decide to wire I still need the soungate hook up so there will be $100 right of the bat. Go with an Ipod then I'm talking $400+ min for just music. Ipod way over priced not worth the money in my personal opinion that is.
Old February 1st, 2005, 12:23 PM   #11
fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet03accord
jcims... hit the nail on the head. I'll be able to do what I've I need, and options aren't limitied this way . Plus like I said I do computer repair on the side and it would come in handy there so I don't have to move data and crap on disk. Lastly can't justifiy play $300 to listen to mp3 when I've got a comp lying around, and no matter what I decide to wire I still need the soungate hook up so there will be $100 right of the bat. Go with an Ipod then I'm talking $400+ min for just music. Ipod way over priced not worth the money in my personal opinion that is.
Take a look at some of the embedded platform stuff.

MiniBox has a nice selection. I'm thinking about getting a system based on the VIA EPIA N (nano-ITX), like this. There's more info here , but the box already has a tv out, integrated audio with line in and line out (plus headphones for whatever), a 1 ghz processor, built in copper ethernet (if you want to put a server in the trunk ) and an IDE channel, all on a board that is about the size of your standard cd cover art. (12cmx12cm).

You can boot myth from a compact flash card and put a laptop drive from ebay in there for your media storage, and you're good to go.

$230 - epia car kit from minibox
$70 - 60 gb laptop drive from ebay
$60 - (optional) 1 gb compact flash for mythtv OS and apps (could use hdd)
$40 - 256mb ddr266 memory
$80 - (optional) wifi/bluetooth adapter (combos available)

$350 on the low end, $600 or so on the high end...could be a pretty sweet system. always could add a 'real' display later, if the navi one didn't pan out.

(oops..forgot the sound gate..ok, so it's not cheap, but i'm saving money by not dropping $2400 on rims )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in